Mark Vc's over Malta

Painters and skinners. Somewhere to show off skins and look for artistic inspiration.
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Mark Vc's over Malta

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:30 pm

next project ...

testing precision and to some extent accuracy of stock void,

hmmm, not a bad void,

but it still needs some correcting.

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Drooling!

Post by :FI:Genosse » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:45 pm

Just gimme one! No. 14, please!

And no bad word about the Belgians! :p

^:)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Looks kinda pale

Post by MikeVictor » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:31 pm

Love to have one myself Falc ol' boy.

If you have any time on your hands, you might post the bird in it's various stages of development along with a very few tutorial comments???? Like give a class sort of??

Thought I'd ask, several guys would like to know how you work your majic.

MicVic
:D
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:48 pm

I did do a step-by-step thingie with a seafire earlier this year

I think it's this link ...

here

I can do another with this design if you want.

I know it may take a while,

I haven't done one for a few months.

I'm a wee bit scnerpelled for time.

Fal "schnitzelscnerpell" con

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
:FI:RULES
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:25 am

8) As allways I´d love to dress up in one of your creations..

13... ;)
"Ammunition clearance is a science with uncertain assumptions, based on disputed calculations. Derived from none convincing experiments carried out by persons with doubtful reliability and questioned mental capacities using instrument of doubtful precision".
:FI:Fenian
Just pink and fluffy

Falco...

Post by :FI:Fenian » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:26 pm

Remember that floral number you made for me? With the chiffon throwover?

I think Rules would look just spiffy in that ;)

:badgrin:

Mind you, he doesn't have the legs for it....

:lol:
_________
:FI:Fenian

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:59 pm

Okay, let's just wing this ...

I realize that much of this stuff may be painfully obvious,

but I want to leave as few a folk behind as possible.

Step 1:

copy void; you can use (whiteout) but I like to totally recopy the void line-for-line. If I know the 3D model or the aircraft, I can make preliminary changes then and try out new patterns that I know can be a help later ... plus it looks better. The copy is cleaner.

get to know your template:

learn where stuff is and where potential problems may arise

I added a very preliminary aircraft color and have kept all lines and rivets at full 100% opacity. The initial color will help me find what area is where.

You still can see much of the void artist's wear and shade areas. I will remove those later and create my own. Remember how the artist did it, however, you may learn a new technique or two.

Please feel free to ask any questions and challenge me on any point you may find morally or ethically offensive.

F

P.S.: next step ... soonish

Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:44 am

Next:

identify unknown areas

make sure lines and rivet lines match up between two modeled areas

identify more match up errors and find possible void and void-to-3D model problems

more common areas that may have matching issues

two errors that consern model-to-void inconsistencies

Again, this model is well made and there are blissfully few matching errors in the void. Even with the best models expect to spend a good amount of time fiddling with these less glamorous issues.

Fal "stay tuned" con

Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:21 pm

onward ...

this existing rivet line runs into the aileron/wing gap and needs to be realigned so I'm testing possible solutions,

dern, I've moved the lines together but they are still 1/2 a pixel off, (red circles), that means I need to use some partial tone pixels to blend them all together ...
another half hour of work!

in the lower left corner you see my initial attempt to create a gear blister that was omitted in the 3d model, (yellow circle), still needs work,

also notice that the access panel in the aft fairing is stretched, (common problem here, green circle), I'll need to sqwush it a bit on the template,

when I get bored moving pixels around I sometimes take a break and have some fun with the graphics, might as well check their positions now, check the navy blue/sky blue confluence too,

I created two new highlight layers, "lighter (for navy blue areas)" and "lighter (for sky blue areas)". Notice I filled all the hatches with white and adjusted opacity down to 10% or so here in the light blue area and did the same with less, (~6% opacity) to the darker blue areas. This effect will help later on when trying to make the hatches and access panels look more realistic. I will later do two more highlight layers for darker accents.

check your arse, relatively speaking, this is a very good stock void, usually there are tons of tiny fixes to make for the sake of precision,

Fal "positive wave" con
Last edited by :FI:Falcon on Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:00 am

Sometimes we don't appreciate how much "fiddling" you do :)

G
I fear no beer

:FI:Dutchman
The Unforseeable

Agree

Post by :FI:Dutchman » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:06 am

Yep i agree Gurb,

Falcon the Perfectionist keep up the good work.

Thanks,

not far from now i will place an order again,

ha

So long Dutch..,

ImageImageImage
Better loose one minute in your life, than loose your life in one minute...
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

I dunno ...

Post by :FI:Genosse » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:10 am

... but looking at your WIP pictures makes me think of myself working a bit too sloppy on my skins ...

Jeez, you must have too much time on yer hands, Patrone! I am deeply impressed!

Respect! ^:|
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Spitsfire
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Spitsfire » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:04 pm

jeez your more anal than me! ;)
Good work sir ^:|
Time to catch up on the skinning myself me thinks ;)
Winner of the FIS pink n'shiney,
"Gee winkies! I've been here over a year
and am still completely normal,
pookey-pookey-pookey." Award!
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:52 am

Very nice work sir!

Can't wait to see it fully "Falconized"

:D
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:36 am

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Here with 95% of the line/rivet/hatch work done, I start on the detail work on the aft control surfaces. As with other Spits and many other ac there is blank space where canvas and ribs and wood frame and other stuff should be. I get all the ac pics, profiles, drawings and plastic model parts info and begin to build the basic structure of the surfaces. Be careful using plastic model parts as your only reference. They are notoriously inaccurate! You will need to draw/test/correct/test/correct several times but it is important to achieve a correctly proportional detail at the start. This is my second test/check. Finding the rib spacing and edge support structure is my first goal. Needs a wee bit more work.

When the artist had to find more empty space on the old void to include the larger tropic air intake he had to squeeze it around the edges and between other shapes. In this case in three different spots that I haven't completely resolved.

The paint around the cannon and the forward inside edge of all the intakes need to be found and adjusted. Bits of the forward scoop still need to be found. Use your own special system to locate these or get Adlabs nifty "Panel Finder" layer.

This pic shows the void artist's wear still showing through my work. I upped the resolution in the game and on my monitor to best find remaining problems.

The tiny markings around the forward intake are my reference marks. Large screws on cowling are initial test of a possible new technique to improve the appearance of larger fasteners.

F
Last edited by :FI:Falcon on Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.