A site definitely worth to visit!

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Ghost
Postmaster

A site definitely worth to visit!

Post by :FI:Ghost » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:16 pm

Check it out, it's very good...

http://english.pobediteli.ru/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*Bury me at sea where no murdered ghosts can haunt me, if I rock upon the waves then no corpse can lay upon me*
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:54 pm

It's interesting that they refer to it as the "Great War". That term has always been used in the west to refer to WWI. I guess maybe "the Great Patriotic War" is out of fashion now.
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:25 am

Great find , Ghost, , thank you for sharing it;)
:FI:Murph wrote:It's interesting that they refer to it as the "Great War". That term has always been used in the west to refer to WWI. I guess maybe "the Great Patriotic War" is out of fashion now.
The Great Patriotic War and the Great War was used in the times of the USSR and is used commonly by the Russians nowadays when refering to WW2. After the revolution in 1917 Soviet authorities wanted to cutoff from the heritage of the capitalist world of the West and the despotive regime of Tzar's Russia. So they did not treat the First World War as "their" war. One of Lenin's postulates during the revolution was to take the country out of this devastating conflict. And today, as modern Russia has more in common with the USSR that with Trazr's empire in terms of memories and living people that remember the Second World War - their Great Patriotic War term is in use. Nationalism is still very strong in the Russian nation, USSR and WW2 victory are things that make them proud, esp as they remember only good things from that times. I've seen a TV programme about modern Russia and veterans from the 1941-45, for these, now very old people, it was something really great in their lives esp if you take into consideration the fact that they didnot know country and reality, model of living outher than the one they had in USSR. Plus Soviet propaganda and social technique designed to create a certain type of people that is referred to as homo sovietus.

Mac
ImageImageImage
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:44 pm

It certainly was'nt so great for your country though, Macca. Poland suffered the most casualties per capita of any country in the world during WWII, including the USSR.
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:07 pm

Indeed, Stalin and Hitler made sure we did, and the Western Allies had their 50 cents about Poland being in the USSR zone after the war.anyway, it is the matter of the past.
ImageImageImage