GTR2 anyone?

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

GTR2 anyone?

Post by :FI:Nellip » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:20 pm

Picked up GTR2 in the bargain bin and wondered if any of you guys were into this racing game?

Crys out for a good Irish skin for online racing!

I am only a novice at the moment and have not got into the intricacies of the setups yet but anyone an expert?

:D
Olegs stalker

:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Re: GTR2 anyone?

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:01 pm

:FI:Nellip wrote:GTR2 anyone? ...

Grand Theft: Rodent 2???

gah! I missed "1"?!?

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:59 am

:lol: Only problem with racing sim is controlling the bloody car! Directional arrows always ends me up hitting the guard rails or worse the chemical toilets. :lol: Grand Theft Auto gave me hell driving around Liberty City.
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Re: GTR2 anyone?

Post by :FI:Nellip » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:17 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote:
:FI:Nellip wrote:GTR2 anyone? ...

Grand Theft: Rodent 2???

gah! I missed "1"?!?
Yes, I missed "1" - but this is what "2" looks like. Don't have a wheel but "borrowed" my sons analogue joypad and it works OK with that.

Looks beautiful, but not tried driving online yet!
Olegs stalker

:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:52 pm

Well, the last time I tried racing. . . .

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Great game! A great deal of fun...

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:01 pm

I have some "skinning experience" with that game... I made a series of skins for it for some friends of mine using the Porche 996RS (I think)...

Then I raced online... What follows is the results, with illustrations...
Warning, it's sort of long
A post from another time in Snaphoo's life wrote:So I had a race with that league I joined this past Sunday and well, let's just say it didn't go as planned.

The race was Monaco, for anyone familiar with the GT series on the Playstations, it's the Cote d'Azur track. Monaco as set up in 1979. For some reason that is the setup for this track. There are a bunch of guys trying to do a 2006-7 version, but we didn't have that one, so 1979 would have to do.

I started 6th, of 6. So, my day wasn't starting out that great, but I was looking forward to a fine morning of racing.

I was able to use one of my custom skins, so I was sitting proud in the very last possible slot.

I had practiced, some... Some translated to a whole bunch right after I joined the league and not so much toward July 1.

This league has 10 minutes of practice the day of the race, followed by 20 minutes of qualifying... Meh, I spent that time trying to figure out how not to hit the walls.

Standing start, so I waited for the light to turn green. Once it did, I waited a bit to give my competition a fair headstart. Now I had them exactly where I wanted them. With no place to go back, there was only one direction I could go, to the front! Or so I thought.

On the first lap, I learned a valuable racing lesson.

It pays to keep all 4 of the roundy rubbery things on the ground, preferrably in unison.

It was at the point of the chicane that I thought perhaps I was out of my depth. Perhaps things weren't going to go my way and my "fly by the seat of my pants" attitude was, in retrospect, perhaps not the best course of action to take in this sport called, "Racing". That, in fact, I probably should've been practicing at least once a week to familiarize myself with the track to keep those sneaky chicanes from sneaking up on me... What follows is a series of pictures, all on the first lap, shortly after leaving the ground.

Face sliding... Not the best way to achieve traction and handling... FYI...

But the car still looks good! kinda...

But the car... Nevermind... The car looks like shite...

Pirouette on the nose... not great on the car, in case you were wondering...

After this one, I ended up backwards on the track and a little disoriented... I pitted, just to make sure that the tires were still good...

Then I figured the second lap would be better...

Oh crap...

This time the dismount was a bit better and I think I got a 9.5 from the Lithuanian judge... But damn that French judge!

Caught a bit of air there...

Once more, for perspective...

Ending up in the scaffolding scaring the shit out of the "wafer-theen" orange track worker and the equally 'theen" camera dude...

Finally coming to rest mere inches away from the water (the solid blue stuff in the pic)

That was pretty much it for me... About another lap of limping around on a flat tire pretty much ruined any chances of getting past the 2 lap down situation I was in... So, I'm practicing for the next one in August...

So by the time I got back to the pits, my car was working on being inoperable... I was done...
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:48 pm

dude!

DUDE!

DUDE!

DUDES!!!

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.