Hello, looking to join your squadron.

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
orwell84

Hello, looking to join your squadron.

Post by orwell84 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:23 am

Hello all,

My name is James, 35 years old, married and have 18 month old son. I live in northern NY, 75 miles South of Montreal.

I have been playing the IL2 series for about 2 years now. I was looking for a flight sim after Jetfighter 4:Fortress America proved to be a big letdown and ran across the IL2 demo. It was a jaw dropping experience (especially after Jetfighter 4) and I have been hooked ever since. I have been playing mostly offline with the exception of a few coops flown with a friend and the occasional dogfight. I enjoy tinkering with the mission editor and making complex missions with a good story line. I can kill AI pilots in droves, but realize that it doesn't mean much. I could use a lot of pointers for flying on-line.

Recently I built my first computer and surprisingly it works. For those of you who like to know about those things, it's a:

Coolermaster Stacker Case
AMD 4000
DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
EVGA 7800 GTX

I have really enjoyed learning about WWII aircraft. My father was a bombardier in the US Army air corps, but the war ended before he completed his training. He used to say that he bombed the shit out of Texas, where he trained. You can imagine how happy I was when the aircraft he flew in, the B-25J was included in this sim...and flyable no less!! It was strange to be in the virtual bombardier section and wonder what it was like. I still have things like his training records with % accuracy, his wings and paperwork.

Now that I have DSL, I think it's about time I flew on line. Sometimes I like to fly serious missions as realistic as possible. Other times I don't like to think all that much and just shoot at stuff. I find a few cold beers always improves immersion. Most of all I play to have fun and relax. I have met a lot of helpful and friendly people since playing this sim.

Anyway, I'll stop droning on. Where can I fly?

Cheers,

James
Callsign: Orwell84
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:24 am

Hi James,

I think you found the right place :D I recommend you try and get online Wednesday nights around 8PM CST for some immersive campaigns and on Sundays for some great dog fighting fun :D

s!
Snoop
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Welcome to the boards, James!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:42 am

The Wednesday night sessions are TacticalS's "Historic Encounters". Stats are kept, so you should see your name in lights in no time at all.
Tactical is in the Maritimes, so he's an hour ahead of you. 9:00pm Eastern is the start time you need to look for.

If you haven't already, be sure to DL and install Teamspeak2 and Hyperlobby.

If Close-Support and or Level Bombing is your preference I don't run a server, but check out the Goat Skies link in (what else?) the "Links" section of our humble little site.

Oh, and you will need to contact our Permanent Temporary (Kelly Girl) Recruiting Officer, Falcon, for the latest in Farm Animal Accessories. Pay close attention to all the sage advice he offers you, as there is always some sort of test afterwards. :)

Hope you like sheep.

Helo
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Gadje
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:41 am

Welcome. Sounds like you'll fit in just fine James :)

Apart from Wednesday and Sunday sessions some of the addicts can be found most nights in Hyperlobby, just look for the :FI: prefix in the player list and page them a hello. You are very welcome to come and fly with us.

Generally its full real servers with perhaps limited icons that we fly. You also have to have the full set of FB-AEP-PF cd's and be patched up to 4.02 to fly with us.

cheers G
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:50 pm

Hi James,

Look forward to flying with you

R.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:16 pm

Hello James! Sounds like you'll make a good addition to this crazy Squadron. As mentioned, the mates are trying their hand at some more immersive campaigns on Wednesdays that might interest you.

http://ca.geocities.com/ohearnsmcmm@rog ... /index.htm

While we have still a lot to explore, we try to implement a flight leader system, and wingman & element/formation flying. We jump around in different campaigns using a third-party generator known as DCG. Stats are maintained, and DCG awards medals and promotions within the game (scroll down below the stats table and click on any of the campaign pictures to see how folks have done in this regard). There's nothing like flying campaigns with human virtual pilots!

While all this stuff sounds very serious, you will also find us very relaxed and enjoy many good laughs. Presently we fly full real but allow Speedbar, Map Nav, Externals (not to be used during combat), and Custom Icons. We mostly fly together for now in order to practice these things I mentioned. Later we hope to have enough folks to have humans vs. humans this fall/winter.

Regards,
TS!
Skipper
Forum Junky

Hey James...

Post by Skipper » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:36 pm

First off , great name and a name of many great men(like myself) :D ;)

Look forward to flying with you sometime old boy.

Cheers

:beer:

Skipper ^:)
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:30 pm

Let me show you to your room...

No... ah, here it is!

Room one-oh-one.

Muah ha ha ha ha ha :badgrin:

Hope to fly with you soon mate.

Cheerio,

Moog
Orwell84 wrote:I find a few cold beers always improves immersion.
Really? Jeez, you must have a lot of beer.

...or a really small bathtub ;)
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
:FI:Fenian
Just pink and fluffy

Welcome Smith!

Post by :FI:Fenian » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:56 pm

It was Smith, wasn't it?

Anyway....

Welcome!

:)

:beer:
_________
:FI:Fenian

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:04 am

Thanks for the nice welcome.

Where can I download teampseak 2?

Thanks.
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:23 pm

Welcome Orwell!! ^:)
I find a few cold beers always improves immersion
That is so true :lol: :beer:
"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
:FI:IceFrog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:56 pm

Welcome Orwell

Mad James, James, James, sorry not trying to wear it out, or maybe i am,
hope to see you on ship again, didn't see what happened :?
"IceFrog" Image
The past is the prelude to the future
“Indecision is the key to flexibily”
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:42 pm

Sorry you didn't play any missions last night. Check your PM mate. Hopefully we will have you up and running for next week!

TS!
orwell84
Beginner

Post by orwell84 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:50 pm

Oops,

Last night's outing didn't go so well for me. I realized while idling on the carrier deck that my callsign was not set, neither were my carrier ops controls. When you said to turn on nav lights, I thought mine were ctl+n. ctl was actually set for chocks so into the drink I went. At least I didn't take anyone else with me. Anyway, I'll get all set up and try again soon.
You won't be rid of me so easily ;)

Thanks again,

orwell84

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:32 am

I don't think you need to be able to take down droves of squadrons to apply, well... lets hope not :lol:

NC