I want to learn German

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Conman
Postmaster
Location: Brockford, Suffolk, England, U.K., Europe, Earth, mil

I want to learn German

Post by :FI:Conman » Fri May 22, 2009 6:16 pm

OK i've decided that German is probably a good language for me to learn, you guys seem prity good at it. so where can i learn for a low cost? :D
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Re: I want to learn German

Post by :FI:Nellip » Fri May 22, 2009 9:08 pm

Move to Germany..................... :D
Olegs stalker

:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Fri May 22, 2009 9:24 pm

:FI:Conman wrote:OK i've decided that German is probably a good language for me to learn, you guys seem prity good at it. so where can i learn for a low cost? :D
Learning German language for a low cost? :-k

Let me think about it, Connor ... since your´re based in England just post an add in your local newspaper asking for a German fellow who´s certainly around your area to teach you German. He/she/it might ask for some quids but I suppose you cannot learn any language for free (apart of the fact that you´ll be kicked out of an aircraft with a parachute and you need to live there for a couple of years). :roll:

First steps to learn any language is to have really an interest for the language and its related cultures, nations, women, whatever ... otherewise the whole enterprise is a dead born child. Then you need to be able to speak and listen to this language more or less frequently ... otherwise you will never learn how to f**king pronounce it. Once you think that you´ve got a basic stock of vocabulary and grammar of this language try to find groups who speak this language naturally. I've no idea though where to find those groups in GB though ... :-s

As one of the final steps I´d travel the countries where the language you intented to learn is spoken. But beware of national and even local differences of the language! As you know there´re even different dialects but also semantical and syntactical differences in the same language. Best thing is to jump into the cold water and make your very own experiences with it ... ;)

This leads me finally to the question why do you like to speak/read German at all? Any profound reasons of yours? :?:

Your nosy Genosse ;C))
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Conman
Postmaster
Location: Brockford, Suffolk, England, U.K., Europe, Earth, mil

Post by :FI:Conman » Fri May 22, 2009 9:28 pm

well gen its the fact that i see you guys writing it and just am interested so i spose its nosyness more than anything (also a third language would look good on a CV) 8)
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Sat May 23, 2009 4:39 am

:FI:Nellip wrote:Move to Germany..................... :D
You've been living in Yorkshire too long m8, lol.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

:FI:Mefisto
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Mefisto » Sat May 23, 2009 10:00 am

:FI:Conman wrote: "... a third language would look good on a CV"
Learn Polish mate.
It is easier :-" (hey, at least easier than Bavarian) and you could talk with your neighbours. :D

I am afraid there is no way to learn it without a proper course, to get the very basic of the grammar, syntax, at least basic sounds etc. There is also a factor of paying for something and working hard, since the cash has been spent ;)
There might be also some groups co-financed by the state.
Maybe there is some association of German(y) lovers that may spread the culture in your area?

Than you could think of self-punishment methods of learning/mastering at home.

If you could get a lector, you may want the north western one, they sound more pleasant. :)

First you could check http://www.youtube.com/user/DeutschOnlineLernen to see if this is really what you want.
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sat May 23, 2009 3:27 pm

Now if some of our Brits can just learn English!

>runs<

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Sat May 23, 2009 3:56 pm

Shut up yewww
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

:FI:Airway
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Airway » Sun May 24, 2009 9:13 am

The Canadian Centre for Intercultural Learning has released a nice website about coutry insight's.
It's quite important to learn these things too, before learning a language because that makes communcation easier and you avoid misunderstandings and troubles.

Check here for Germany:

http://www.intercultures.ca/cil-cai/ove ... asp?iso=de

Example:

For the UK for example they write this:
Public displays of emotions are something that is on the increase in the UK, though still better to err on the side of caution here. As a general rule, the British would keep emotions hidden from public view as they can make others uncomfortable. With the advent of reality television, the UK is becoming more accustomed to seeing such displays, though they are still not common outside of this setting.
Image ImageImage
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun May 24, 2009 2:34 pm

Public displays of emotions:

New York: No eye contact. Keep gun loaded and accessible.

New Orleans: No love making in the street before 7PM, go to sidewalk instead.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.