Ice

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Ice

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 am

I think it would be a nice change.

My sand truck taken after sanding for a few hours during one of our few ice storms last winter. I drove over 200 miles on a 12 mile stretch of road in 12 hours that day.
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:20 am

Hey, Willie those look like the spikes in the chariot scene in Ben-Hur. Maybe you and a fellow trucker could race and see who'd tear off their wheels first. :lol:

Altar- "How's About Some Free Willie"-Boy
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!
:FI:IceFrog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Cooooooooool Willie
"IceFrog" Image
The past is the prelude to the future
“Indecision is the key to flexibily”
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:59 pm

No thanks!.

Winter will be here soon enough, and in N.Yorks it tends to stay for longer than you want. Give me Summer any day.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:23 pm

The sun here is blistering. I'd rather go hang out in a cool river than on the beach. But gotta give it to Willie. To be on a 12-hour job in that cold. It's official- You're nuts! :lol:
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:38 pm

Uh-oh!

AB,

I get a kick out of teasing all these upper northern hemisphere-ers when they bitch and moan about how cold it is outside during the winter.

Now,

are you gonna do the same to we Alabamans, Texans, New Mexicans, Kalyfornians and Loozeyanians ...

mon?

~gah!~

F
Last edited by :FI:Falcon on Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:44 pm

Erm, wasn't teasing anyone. :?

But since you brought up the subject. I'd like to know the name of your English teacher.Hahahaaaa! :lol:
:FI:Dex
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Dex » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:49 pm

I'll hold him and you whack Him Falcon ;)
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:44 pm

:lol:

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:25 pm

Nah, I can take both of you on without lifting a finger. Just let me finish eat my beans first. Bwahahaaaaaa :badgrin: But again why bother? When I can spend the time and energy watching all those scantily-clad women in their g-strings. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!! Beach time this weekend! And as the homies used to say. So long suckas!:D

Altar-"just got arrested for being a beach bum'-Boy
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:18 am

My spikes looked cool til one my fellow workers decided to break them off. I was hoping they'd sling off and spear something.. :badgrin:

I quit counting the wrecks that day after 53.. :? I was close to being involved in about 40 of those. :shock: After a while, in that type of weather, the really dumb ones crash out and the rest get serious about going on their merry way.

Another bad deal about that rig is that it is a single axle dump truck. Single axles ( a total of two axles ) will get really stupid on you in a heart beat on an icy road.

Since I've got over 3 million miles in trucks, I got the dangerous rig. :? This year, I get a brand new tandem axle dump with a gas powered sander on it. Up to now we've had PTO ( power take-off from the tranny) hydraulic rigs. PAIN IN THE ARSE is an understatement.

I used to have some picture of an old Peterbuilt that I drove through 400 miles of rain and 12°F temps. That trip took 20 hours. The truck had over 15,000 lbs of of airframe ice! I had spent 3 weeks in Montana and Wyoming prior to that trip. The weather never got over 25°F in those three weeks. That old Pete was cold soaked and every bit of water that hit any part that wasn't heated froze solid. I could turn the steering axle wheels about two inches to the left or right of center before the ice build up locked up the steering.

I stopped in a little town in the TX panhandle named Dumas to get my thermos re-filled and take some more medicine ( DOPE). I fell down twice trying to walk across the road I'd been driving on. If I hadn't hadn't had a nose full of dope.. :oops: I'd have probably stopped an dwaited out the storm. However, my judgement was affected by crank and I had Fort Worth on my mind.. :lol:

Those were the days..... :?
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:20 am

Wow! Gotta hand it to ya Willie, driving all those miles. To tell the truth I've never seen winter before. Chock that up in being stuck on an island (not that I'm complaining, I luv it here). The only ice I've ever seen is on tv or in the deep freeze. :lol: :lol: