WW1 Simulators

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Airhawk14
Professional Boardie

WW1 Simulators

Post by Airhawk14 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:22 pm

Anybody know of some really good WW1 flight simulators because I have recently been looking for one?

Also does anyone know where to find some Hawk81A-2 campaigns?

"When you risk it all, the sky is the limit."Quote from Motion Picture "Flyboys".
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:42 pm

Theres some posts on the forum about OFF (Over Flanders Fields)

If you enter that into a search here you should find all the links.
It is a mod for CFS3.

You could also check Knights of the Sky which uses the IL2 engine,
but is a seperate game. I'm not too sure if its released yet, but google should come up with the info you want.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:44 pm

Knights have not yet been released. Hopefully this fall.
Airhawk14
Professional Boardie

Post by Airhawk14 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:03 pm

I can't find any information on it, where should I look?

"When you risk it all, the sky is the limit."Quote from Motion Picture "Flyboys".
:FI:IceFrog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:10 pm

:FI:Sneaky_Russian wrote:Theres some posts on the forum about OFF (Over Flanders Fields)

If you enter that into a search here you should find all the links.
It is a mod for CFS3.
I’m flying “OFF” and I really enjoy it, it has a lot of promise, and the guys who are responsible for developing it you can talk to (posts at the forum) personally
"IceFrog" Image
The past is the prelude to the future
“Indecision is the key to flexibily”
Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:10 pm

Yeah OFF is good but i'd wait for KotS if I were you mate.CFS3 engine just doesnt have the right feel
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

Airhawk14
Professional Boardie

Post by Airhawk14 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:49 pm

I know what you mean. When I was about 9 I got my first simulator, witch was Combat Flight Simulator 2, and I could fly it, but I did not like it. When you play Il2 and then try that game, Combat Flight Simulator doesn't look good. I do like FS2004 though.

:FI:IceFrog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:43 am

Airhawk14 wrote:I know what you mean. When I was about 9 I got my first simulator, witch was Combat Flight Simulator 2, and I could fly it, but I did not like it. When you play Il2 and then try that game, Combat Flight Simulator doesn't look good. I do like FS2004 though.
yes the CFS3 is nowhere near like Il2 but the OFF whatever or however they did it, is very close to being rated up there with IL2, when i first started flying it i liked it but after having adjusted the settings it is very good and to me and the feel is right on
"IceFrog" Image
The past is the prelude to the future
“Indecision is the key to flexibily”
Airhawk14
Professional Boardie

Post by Airhawk14 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:38 am

I haven't tryed the OFF yet. It looks pretty cool though.

:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:39 am

I also have OFF and I would say its the best WW1 sim out there at the moment - but then it probably is the only one :lol:

If you can pick up a cheap copy of CFS3 in the bargain bucket somewhere then OFF is a free download so it won't cost you a lot - and if you already have CFS3 then you don't have any incremental cost.

The flight charateristics seem quite good - I have never flown an SE5 of course - and stall is maybe better modelled than in FB/AEP/PF.

OFF has a couple of quirks - it uses the CFS3 engine and the "warp" feature which gets you to the action quickly is available, but the problem is you have to get up to around 120 mph to activate it which is above the maximum in level flight for most of the aircraft in the game :?
You can climb and then normally get to warp speed :lol: in a steep dive. You probably need to use warp unless you are very easliy entertained because these planes are sloooooooooow and you will take many minutes to reach the target otherwise. The other quirk is that the designers wanted a degree of realism in that when your pilot dies that is it and you have to set up a new one for a new campaign. It does make you want to fly and survive but setting up a new pilot when you get shot down as much as me does become a bit of a chore.

I would recommend you give OFF a try.
Olegs stalker

Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:42 pm

yeah don't get me wrong...OFF is great for what it is but sometimes I think people expect too much of it considering its free.But if you have CFS3/can pick it up cheaply by all means give it a go!

And yeah...warp speed can only be obtained in a dive or by pressing the hyperspace button ;)

I particularly like the claim system :)

"Skipper- 25 claims 2 kills" was what I had I believe :lol: :oops:

Something like that anyways :?
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill