SPAM WARS!!!!!!!!

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

SPAM WARS!!!!!!!!

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:44 pm

the evil spammer is back on Multilingual today

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Copy that, SR!

Post by :FI:Genosse » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:05 pm

:evil:
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
Post Maniac General

Just got this newsletter

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:21 pm

1. Facts of the week: Google, your web site and CSS spam
Hiding content and links in CSS code that is not visible to human web surfers has become popular among webmasters who want to trick search engines.

How does CSS spam work?

CSS (cascading style sheets) allow webmasters to specify the location of a web page element in a web browser. Some webmasters create keyword rich text that is not intended for human web surfers in a CSS element that is not visible to normal surfers.

For search engines, the invisible CSS element looks like a normal part of the web page. As the invisible element contains keyword rich text, search engines might think that the web page is relevant to the keywords mentioned in that text.

Why is CSS spam a bad idea?

Just like any spam technique, CSS spam can lead to good short-term results. However, just like all spam techniques, it's extremely risky to use CSS spam. A new post in the blog of Google's spam fighter Matt Cutts indicates that Google could detect CSS spam at least in some cases:

"[The site] had spam (specifically hidden text) on [the] pages. When Googlebot visited http://www.thepeoplescube.com/Truth.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on Sun, 05 Mar 2006 12:17:12 GMT, the page looked fine to users, but had hidden text."

Using spam techniques puts the success of your your web site at risk. It doesn't matter if you use CSS or any other technique to trick search engines. As soon as search engines find out that you're cheating them, they will ban your site.

What does this mean to your web site?

It's very important that your web site is spam-free. The most common reason why a web site gets banned from Google is spam. If your web pages contain spam elements, it's likely that they'll get banned from Google sooner or later or that they don't get listed at all.

Even if you're not intentionally spamming, make sure that your web pages don't contain hidden text or other spam elements by mistake.

There are better ways to get your web site listed in search engines

Don't try to cheat Google. Focus on your web site visitors and offer them what they need. Your web pages should offer good content and they should be useful to human web surfers.

If you have such a web site and then optimize your pages so that they can be found for your most important search terms then it's very likely that your web site will get high rankings on Google. If your web site has optimized content and good incoming links, then it is very difficult not to get high rankings on Google.

Further information on how to optimize your web pages for Google and other search engines without using spam techniques can be found in our free SEO book.

Back to table of contents - Visit Axandra.com
Google will ban this guy if he persists.Hve to case the contact

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:46 pm

After him Holmes!

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Nightcat
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by Nightcat » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:41 pm

Last time I had spam I sliced my finger open on the sharp edge of the tin/can - wasn't a nice experience..
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:00 am

One method I use at my forum to get rid of blatant turds like this guy is an IP block. I have also sent the guys IP info and examples of their transgressions to their ISP.

Works about a 10th of the time. IP blocks work great UNLESS the wanker is on AOL. then you end up blocking ALL of your AOL peeps to keep one r****d out. AOL doesn't care what their subjects do.....

I hate AOL. :? I've had more problems from AOL peeps in my game servers and my forums than ALL the rest of the problem children put together.
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:23 pm

We have spam in the skinners section, under Canadian spitfires. And two in the technical section in Beowulfs thread

Vin
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss
:FI:Mefisto
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Mefisto » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:09 pm

what about just blocking guest from writing the post and use generated pics to verify registration?
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:21 pm

It's most lokely some kind of "Bot" enterimg these posts, seems to be going rampant over last 24 hrs.

Good idea Mefisto

Perhaps a "count the sheep" box ?