Graphic settings for the no-icons thingie..

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Cider
Postmaster

Graphic settings for the no-icons thingie..

Post by :FI:Cider » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:58 pm

So here i am with my brand new computer. maxed all the settings (1600x1200/32) and the game looks GREAT. I spot a bogey in the distance, close in, still can see him but all in the sudden he`s gone. Next thing i realise he`s on my six, sending me down in flames. Looks like there`s a distance where it`s impossible (for me) to spot other aircraft.

Can some of you seasoned no-icons jocks give me a hint on this issue (card-setting/monitor/beer - wise)?

:FI:Ci"oh no-not again"der
Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off.
:FI:ZekeMan
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:06 pm

Wow, and I thought my system was whacked.... :shock:

Z

We sleep safe in our beds, because rough men stand ready in the night, to visit violence upon those that would do us harm... James Orwell

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:11 pm

Turn down your resolution mate, thats far to high. Mine is set to 1027x770
If you have your resolution up to high it makes the dots smaller, ie the enemy so it might look better but if someone has there resolution much lower than you they will beable to spot you easier and sooner than you spot them, hence they get on your tail.

Hope this helps

Mikester
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

I use 1024x768...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:03 am

...and don't have that "disappearing act".

I just can't see worth a shyte. :(
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Antifreeze

Post by Antifreeze » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:33 pm

Regarding aircraft disappearing at certain close distances...

If aircraft LoDs are visible at 3-5km then vanish between 1-3km but suddenly reappear at below 1km:

Check your graphics card settings (not the in-game settings, but your actual graphic card settings in Windows). Look for any switches (but inparticular to do with textures) where you might have set them towards 'performance' rather than 'quality'. If you find such settings, return them to 'default' and see if that solves the problem. It is a known issue that on some cards, compressing textures using the graphic card software causes aircraft to vanish at certain close distances. You may also experience a weird, static 'dapple' effect on the blue sky, depending on the card you have.

However, the in-game texture compression (S3TC) is fine to use; it shouldn't cause any problems.