Spitfire History

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Spitfire History

Post by MikeVictor » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:51 pm

Just putzing around the internet and happened upon this WWII RAF field site with some interesting pics and historical comments:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/history ... y_01.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A book called "The Big Show" by Frenchman Pieere Clostermann who flew spitfires and later a tempest is mentioned at this site. Has anyone read it, if so, what is your opinion of the book? Worth a read?

If you haven't seen it already, enjoy.

MicVic
:D
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:31 pm

Interesting stuff, thanks Mike.

Its amazing how much WW2 history is still there to be seen if you look for it. The wiff was brought up on a farm in Oxfordshire that is built on the edge of a WW2 training base. The control tower was only knocked down a few years ago as it had become a haunt for junkys. some of the smaller hangers are still there, the old fire station and the perimiter road. The runway was grass so was returned to agricultural use after the war. It is still interesting to walk around it.

Anyone else near to/know of WW2 related sites?.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:48 pm

Has anyone read it, if so, what is your opinion of the book? Worth a read?
I´ve got, and i think it´s a great book... Some might say that it´s one of the classics of air war... Definetly worth reading!

Thx for the link!
"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

The Big Show

Post by MikeVictor » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:54 pm

thanks for the recommendation Sapper, I'll get the book and give it a read. maybe even do a book report.

MicVic
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Eschborn Airdrome

Post by MikeVictor » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:10 pm

Actually, I was stationed in a small German community, Eschborn, about 5 KM west of Frankfurt, for about a year and a half. The kazern we were on was a luftwaffe fighter base during WWII. We used their old quanset huts to store tools and equipment. The main hanger and runway were still there in the early 80's but in poor repair of course. All is covered with grass now, but the runway was paved as I recall. I'll try to find some pics or info on the internet about that airfield,

MicVic