First Flight

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Gadje

First Flight

Post by Gadje » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:43 pm

Hi All

Well after 3 weeks of waiting for suitable weather I finally got my first real flying lesson earlier this week in a Piper Archer. And I thought those of you who haven't tried it (or those that have) might like to hear my first impressions of the experience and subsequent thoughts.

I really enjoyed it. I suppose it is unlikely I will ever achieve a real pilots licence..its just so expensive in the UK! and the weather :cry: . But I suppose my main reason was to compare the real thing with virtual flight, so I tried to take in as much as I possibly could.

First surprise was the size of the cockpit ...small... and it was a four seater. Flying a Spit must have felt like you were wearing the plane!
The pre flight checks were as comprehensive as I expected and we finally got clearance to taxi and takeoff.

My instructor (very nice guy!) didn't use any flaps but we were airborn faster than even an Oscar in IL2 :shock:
After we climbed to about 2000ft he let me take control, asked me to try and maintain an altitude of 2500ft and gave me a heading until he told me to change. We were heading for where I live.

The wind buffeting surprised me in how vigourously it shook our little aircraft but you did get used to it. For the small changes I had to make to keep course it was similar to using a joystick, quite sensitive. Of course he had trimmed her to fly herself really, however I was concentrating on the instruments so much I had to keep reminding myself to look outside. Rookie nerves.

Slightly OT.
I wanted to go to my home village for other reasons than the obvious.
I live 2 miles away from an old disused WWII airfield called Charterhall.
It is worthy of a story in itself. It is quite simply an amazing place for anyone interested in flight of that period. Both landing strips are pretty much intact but its the buildings that are the delight. Most still stand. The numerous 1940's huts still have their glass windows. The rooms are empty now(although my wife tells me papers were apparently there till recently) But when you look inside it takes little imagination to see the place filled with RAF uniforms. Its being used in part by a farm and two large hangers still grace the sight.

I have been reading a quite famous WWII book 'The Last Enemy' by a BoB pilot called Richard Hillary who was stationed and killed while at Charterhall.
He has a small memorial stone nearby. Sadly our local graveyard is the last resting place for many pilots from all over the Commonwealth who like Hillary were killed while training to fly nightfighters (mainly Blenheims/Beasleys :shock: and Beaufighters) in shocking weather, obviously in the pitch black.
A biography I have mentions how hard these planes were to fly and how much strength was required, which was probably Richard Hillary's downfall as his hands were severely crippled by fire when he was shot down in the BoB.

In the biography on him there is a photo of the airfield taken from the air and I wanted to see it for myself as it is now and perhaps try and imagine what it was like landing at the airfield I had read so much about. Well on a good day as it was, you could see the airstrip for miles and the hangers and buildings, it was uncanny how similar it still is. A big thrill.

As we headed back I mentioned some of this to my instructor. I then remembered Hillary, while of no603 fighter squadron had been based originally at Edinburgh where we took off from. It began to feel like I was on a pilgramage!

On the comparitive thing, while flying over some hills my instuctor spotted a low flying military jet some 2000ft below us. As I watched it (rapidly) depart into the distance it struck me how accurate IL2 is at conveying distant aircraft.
It was difficult to spot while looking against the ground as a backdrop and turned into a dot as it receded into the distance.

Then the real shocks. He asked me to pull on the flaps and try and keep the nose level, flying straight. With full flaps, man was I straining. What had been gentle movements before was now real force. Explaining what he was about to do he then applied full power and as the aircraft pulled left with torque, beginning a roll, he asked me to straighten it with rudder only. Again the force required was surprising to me.
Finally he asked if I wanted to experience a hard turn. I thought he was going to let me try :) sadly, though fortunately not. He banked the aircraft and pulled what from a sim perspective you might do if you had forgotten to look behind yourself while on a DF server- a reasonably tight turn thats all. Wow :O{ Not very nice and that was only 2G. I was ok but again what would a combat manouvre have done. Guess I'd never have made a fighter pilot :D

Coming in to land was to me very like the sim also. I was glad to feel as he approached the runway, his use of flaps and throttle and the way it looked was all very familiar.

So in the end a great, memorable day.

My thoughts now about the similarity of virtual flight to real?

I suppose its pretty obvious, just the degree that surprised.
In the visual sense its very, very close but the lack of the physical experience makes a HUGE difference IMHO and that was in an ultra safe cruising commercial aircraft.
Thinking of Richard Hillary's death, not having the strength to prevent his plane crashing and myself waggling my stick ;) with fingertip strength in a cushy chair doing huge G turns emphasises the point I think.

But mostly its that playing a sim can never simulate that these pilots were facing death every time they took to the air and many,many found it. 'The Last Enemy' is about this, it is death that is the last enemy.

I think of some of the posts of so-called aces at UBI forums comparing their exploits to real pilots, usually with the careful provisor that of course this is a sim. But its so far off the mark to be plainly ridiculous or perhaps more bluntly, disrespectful to those mens lives.

I really enjoy this sim(perhaps game is more suited) and want to get better at virtual flying in all aspects, that is in itself enough for me.
If I ever delude myself that what I do resembles what happened here over 60 years ago, I have a short walk to a graveyard that quietly says otherwise.

Sorry ramble over!

Graham.
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:56 pm

:D

GREAT post Graham,

Fascinating info about Charterhall too. All the old bases mear me ahve been converted to subdivisions or General Aviation. Not much trace of the old stuff.

Keep flying and enjoying. I enjoyed every second of my time aloft, maybe too much at tmes... :shock: :badgrin: I did some VERY silly and dangerous stuff in my younger days.

S!!
Willie
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:21 pm

Gadje,

Congrats on your first flight. I'm glad you seem to realize, as so few seem to do, that IL2 is just a great sim-like game. I hope you save up for more lessons, it's reeeeeally worth getting that license and soloing through the air!
When I was a CFI I always let my students take off the first lesson. I kept the fight short and simple so the student wouldn't get confused and get nervous or forget anything. Your teacher seems to be of a different school, but listen to him, there are many paths to the skies.

Best of luck,

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Gadje

Post by Gadje » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:50 pm

Thanks Gents,

Great to know that RL pilots are in :FI:

dunno why! just is.

Of course I want to try again but at £150 a go I better do some work this afternoon.

Weather is a prob though, when I was younger I used to try paragliding. 20 days a year if you were lucky with the wind and could forget everything else at the drop of a hat.

Bonny Scotland indeed :D
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

EXCELLENT observations, Gadje!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:34 am

Though not licensed myself, I have flown enough to realize all the points you made are at the very least true.

Glad you got the chance to experience what so many never get to do. Those who have only ridden cannot claim to know the pure joy of being in relative control of an aircraft.

Save up a bit longer and try to get a shot at flying a helo! LOTS of fun!!! :badgrin:
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
napier
Forum Junky

Post by napier » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:04 am

nice post m8

i enjoyed reading in! I wish I got a chance to fly, id really like to try it, but i dont have the time/money! Maybe in a few years!

cheers!

:beer:
:: napier ::

:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:40 am

Awesome post Graham :D I really enjoyed reading it. It makes me want to take a flight with an instructor some day. I think you are totaly right with out the physical experience and the risk of dying we are still far away from simulating the real thing faithfully. But then again, I don't think I want my games that realistic :D

Snoop
Baderslegs
Postmaster

Post by Baderslegs » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:28 pm

Great stuff Gadje.

You are so right, its just a game, only a game, a very good game, but still only a game. I laugh at some of the nonesense you see on the UBI boards, especially when I see some guys slagging off a new guy by saying "learn to fly"

WHAT, while sittin on ur arse in front of a computer get a life you
!*$£holes.

And I agree about honouring the memory of those guys.

Apologies for gettin carried away but you're spot on.

Thats what I love about this squad, dont take ourselves too seriously, respect everyone, and have total respect for the history.

Good post Graham
Originality and strangeness are good,
blind conformity and stupidity are unforgivable.

He who asks is a fool for five minutes but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

:FI:Baderslegs
:FI:Fenian
Just pink and fluffy

WHAT!!!!

Post by :FI:Fenian » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:57 pm

Only a GAME?????

Go stand in a corner Mr Baders, sir!

Over there by the phone, beside the bar... I'll be right along. Just need to talk to a man about a dog.... ;)

Mine's a :beer:

:)
_________
:FI:Fenian

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
:FI:RULES
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:01 pm

:? IL2&CoD NOT FOR REAL?
I´m devestated...I thought i would learn to fly and fight for real... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: ;)
"Ammunition clearance is a science with uncertain assumptions, based on disputed calculations. Derived from none convincing experiments carried out by persons with doubtful reliability and questioned mental capacities using instrument of doubtful precision".
Post Maniac General

Hey, buddy!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:29 am

LEARN TO FLY, OK????? :lol:
Baderslegs
Postmaster

Post by Baderslegs » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:57 pm

LEARN TO FLY, OK?????
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Originality and strangeness are good,
blind conformity and stupidity are unforgivable.

He who asks is a fool for five minutes but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

:FI:Baderslegs
Post Maniac General

If FBAEPPF & CoD aren't real...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:16 pm

...does that mean:

Every time I kill TacticalS he doesn't really die?
Deathsledge
The Unforseeable

Post by Deathsledge » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:39 am

great stuff sir and congratulations on your first flight. ^:)
There are two things that are infinite in life, human stupidity and the universe, and I'm not too sure about the universe. Albert Einstein