February 13th, 1945

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

February 13th, 1945

Post by :FI:Genosse » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:08 pm

During the last months of war in Europe British and US bomber flights attacked the City of Dresden at the river of the Elbe and destroyed it completely. The loss of human lives was tremandous: almost 35.000 people were killed by the bomb impacts and in the fires that burned the city down. This happened on this day 60 years ago ... :cry:

<center>
Official site of the City of Dresden to this topic
</center>

Don´t forget to remember Guernica, Coventry, Leningrad, Warsaw and Hamburg which were also results of questionable military actions in this war done by bombers ...

Demoralization by bombs? :CX - No, thank you! [-X [-(
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Fenian
Just pink and fluffy

Yup...

Post by :FI:Fenian » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:25 pm

Now that was a war crime that went unpunished in my humble opinion.

The war was all but won. Thousands of women, children and old people died..... not something to tell your grandchildren you were involved in....

I heard that there were expectations of right-wing protests and marches in Dresden... I hope that sense prevails and the police stop the demonstration.

Will we ever learn?

I'm afraid not.

:(
Last edited by :FI:Fenian on Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_________
:FI:Fenian

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Yes...

Post by :FI:Macca » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:33 pm

Glad that you mentioned the anniversary ,Gen.

S! to all the victims of the War - today esp to the victims of Dresden raid.

Shame that the Allies used the same methods as the Axis, even on greater scale - I know that the Axis bombraided many cities, but as the Allies were having such a great military advantage- why to kill thousands of civilians,cause tremendous suffering?.Why to use the same methods as the nazis? I will never believe that all the victims of Dresden or Hamburg air raids were nazis...War strikes mainly civilians...

I would love to see the World disarmed someday,so that we can be sure there will be no more tragedies like in Dresden , Warsaw, Liverpool, Leningrad and many,many other cities, towns and villagess. Hundreds of thousands of innocent people,including soldiers, were killed because of some ridiculous thoughts of some madmen.It doesn't matter if the madmen is/are/was/were speaking English/German/Russian or any other language.
ImageImageImage
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Re: Yup...

Post by :FI:Macca » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:37 pm

:FI:Fenian wrote:Now that was a war crime that went unpunished in my humble opinion.

I agree with you completly.You know - the winner is always right....doesn't matter how he reached the victory.
ImageImageImage
Deathsledge
The Unforseeable

Post by Deathsledge » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:04 pm

^:|
There are two things that are infinite in life, human stupidity and the universe, and I'm not too sure about the universe. Albert Einstein
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

TY, Gen!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:01 pm

Very good find!

In my History classes as a child I never could understand the necessity of the Dresden Bombings. So pointless and an embarassment, too.

Now to see that some people/groups use this tragedy to profit personally and politically really highlights man's inhumanity to man.

But sometimes these reminders are needed to point out just what evil we are capable of if we allow our consciences no voice prior to our actions. :cry:

^:|
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Crazy
Boardie
Location: 60 miles southeast of the great city of Cleveland, Ohio

Post by Crazy » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:03 am

Thanks Gen, it's important that we remember things like this, lest we repeat them.

^:| to all the innocent casualties of this and other mindless bombings
Ianus
Postmaster

Post by Ianus » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:41 pm

A totally needless and inhuman act. "Bomber" Harris's (leader of bomber command) statue has been defaced many times in London. There are many in my country who do not regard him as a hero, I am one of them. What makes it all the more henious is that the "blitz" experience in Britain had shown that far from breaking public moral it hardened it. Many arguments concerning how effective deliberate bombing of civilian centres were vis a vis the bombing of military targets carried out by the USAAF have shown up the lack of effectivenes of Harris's tactics on the German war effort. The tragedy also of course is the many "brave" bomber command crews who lost their lives in these type of raids.

War Sucks!
Ianus
Postmaster

Post by Ianus » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:43 pm

I appologise, and of course the many brave Luftwaffe pilots who died defending their homeland also.
Crazy
Boardie
Location: 60 miles southeast of the great city of Cleveland, Ohio

Post by Crazy » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:18 pm

Apparently, a Neo-Nazi group in Germany that attended the ceremony wants "revenge" for the bombing...
L.F
Forum Junky

Post by L.F » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:32 pm

:FI:Crazy wrote:Apparently, a Neo-Nazi group in Germany that attended the ceremony wants "revenge" for the bombing...

Og det er det stora,
og det er det glupa,
at Merket det stend,
um Mannen han stupa.
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:56 pm

:FI:Crazy wrote:Apparently, a Neo-Nazi group in Germany that attended the ceremony wants "revenge" for the bombing...
Oh, they want a lot to do and to get ... it´s a shame that we still have right winged parties here in Germany - especially those ones are denying Auschwitz and the other death camps - and as a result of the last local elections in Brandenburg and Saxon these parties won enough votes to get into the parliaments (!!!).

These parties and their intellectual allies give the base for many disappointed young men especially in the new eastern German states who are/will be indoctrinated with "brown" propaganda.

After all these people are a minority in the German society nowadays. But they´re already/still a pain in the arse ... not even in my country ...

:evil:
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

The bastiches...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:47 am

...are over here, too, bro!

"Pain in the arse" is too kind. :evil:
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x