TeamSpeak Delay

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

TeamSpeak Delay

Post by :FI:Noter » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:21 am

I have noticed for several sessions now that my TS transmissions are delayed by about a second-second 1/2. I can hear a subtle echo of my transmission and can tell by the others response that that is the way they are hearing it. It has done this while gaming or with just TS running and chatting. Ultimately it's not terrible, I mean, it works, but if I can make it better, great. Any ideas?

Noter
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:32 am

What am I doing here?

Oh well ...

it might be your Codec setting.

<go to "Settings" ... "Local Test" ... "Test Codec">

If it defaults to CELP 5.1 Kbit

and you're getting poor performance,

try moving it up to Speex 12.3 or something similar.

Just a hunch.

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:58 am

Probably isn't codec. Codecs are set centrally on the TS server and you can't adjust the one used locally i.e. you can't up the rate at a local level. If you didn't have the codec installed then you simply wouldn't be able to speak/hear.
I fear no beer

Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:38 am

You da man on TeamSpeak stuff Gurb.

Well Noter,

all I can tell you is to talk a wee bit before you normally would.

That'll help prolly.

Fal "works for me!" con

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:40 pm

Isn't there always a slight delay on TS? If someone has their speakers turned up loud enough, the other voices will feedback through that person's mic and back down the line to whoever spoke in the first place, resulting in a perceived delay that's twice as long as actually occurs. The delay is negligible though, and usually results in humorous "You go / No, you go ahead / No, I insist" situations :lol:

If you shout REALLY LOUDLY the sound travels faster...
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:24 pm

So I just need one of those psychic megaphones. Didn't I see something on NaturalPoint about one coming out shortly?

Noter
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:52 pm

Noticed some issues lately with TeamSpeak too Noter. I believe the issue is background noise from someone (or maybe a couple of folks) playing the game through their speakers and possibly running the voices through them too.

My suggestion (if possible) for all participants is to always run everything (i.e., game and TS comms) through your headset. If you can't then make sure you turn the speakers WAY down and don't use voice activation in TS.

TS!
Last edited by :FI:TacticalS! on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Delay always happens with TS...

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:10 pm

It has to do with Lag. Has always been a problem as far as I know.

I don't know all the technical gobbledygook about it, but the delay has to do with latency.

Ventrillo is supposed to be better about that, but I haven't ever tested it.
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
Full Metal Ferret

Re: TeamSpeak Delay

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:43 pm

:FI:Noter wrote:I have noticed for several sessions now that my TS transmissions are delayed by about a second-second 1/2. ...
I've had two seperate delays. One that seems appropriate given the speed of light , computer latency and my particular bwain capabilities ...

and the other caused by computer/software/set-up problems.

I just assumed that one to 1.5 seconds sounded more like the latter. That's a long wait.

I fixed the problem by clicking on a lot of buttons and typing some.

Sorry, it was a while ago.

Where's my ribbon?

Falcon