HELP!!!

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
Grecian
Postmaster

HELP!!!

Post by Grecian » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:41 pm

:( Did a defrag on main drive now Windows takes about 10 mins to boot up :( Programmes wont initialise, desktop running at minimum setting :(

Everything is basically a mess :(

Any suggestion welcomed
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots..." Frank Spencer.

:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:55 pm

You're obviously not getting enough beer in your diet.

F
:FI:Igor
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Igor » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:24 pm

Grecian,
If your running XP, use the restore function (i think its called restore, i,m at work now on a 2000 pro) .

Igor
:FI:Mefisto
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Mefisto » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:30 pm

better would be some ghost or something, as xp's backup is a bit "shifty"
Grecian
Postmaster

Post by Grecian » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:42 pm

If your running XP, use the restore function
Tried to but thaat wont work either :( Also tried booting from Rom but that creates at setup error :(
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots..." Frank Spencer.

:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Re: HELP!!!

Post by :FI:Genosse » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:09 pm

:FI:Grecian wrote::( Did a defrag on main drive now Windows takes about 10 mins to boot up :( Programmes wont initialise, desktop running at minimum setting :(

Everything is basically a mess :(

Any suggestion welcomed
The defrag procedure wasn´t cancelled and ended properly? Is there a way to repeat this procedure? Maybe this will help ... :?

IMO it sounds that your HDD might have reached its final approach!!! :shock:

My two cents tho ... ;)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
Grecian
Postmaster

Post by Grecian » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:47 pm

The defrag procedure wasn´t cancelled and ended properly? Is there a way to repeat this procedure?
No completed ok.

Could probably run it again but analysis takes about an hour, guess another defrag would probably take a day or so.

Think something is messed up in operating system, cant get graphics above 640x480 4(four) bit colour! Alhough it says graphics card is operating ok cant get drivers intialised, tried un-installing and re-instal with no joy, many other programmes wont operate either!

Thrown my toys out of the pram, and stomping up and down in a tantrum!

F------ computers, I give up

Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:32 pm

:FI:Grecian wrote:No completed ok.

Could probably run it again but analysis takes about an hour, guess another defrag would probably take a day or so.

Think something is messed up in operating system, cant get graphics above 640x480 4(four) bit colour! Alhough it says graphics card is operating ok cant get drivers intialised, tried un-installing and re-instal with no joy, many other programmes wont operate either!

Thrown my toys out of the pram, and stomping up and down in a tantrum!

F------ computers, I give up
Hmmm ...

Grecian, it sounds that your PC is booting the OS in the so called "Save Mode" where your screen resolution and other things are reduced to the minimum. In this state you can check your OS for any kind of problems e.g. replacing wrong drivers etc. ...

Maybe you should give the defrag procedure a go ... I mean it´ll take time to set up a new OS on your PC after formating your HDD ...

Just try it! Or is there somebody with a better idea?

Then go for it! ;)
Last edited by :FI:Genosse on Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:01 pm

yeah, Safe Mode

and don't worry about the "analysis" step, just go straight to "defrag"

F

but I doubt it's a defrag problem.
Last edited by :FI:Falcon on Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Igor » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:39 am

Grecian,
I concur with Gen, might be your hard drive getting ready to crap out. Recommend you back up data to CD's asap. Then refrag, virus check.

Igor
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:49 am

Grecian

Maybe sth happend to your SATA/or-sth-like-that drivers?

Also check your swap file, there mayb the case that it is taking a lot of space on your system partition and making Windows run as slow as it can.

You can also try uninstalling your motherboard drivrs, mybe sth f***** up during the defragmentation and not al the drivers are running.

My 1.5 cent....

Hope you have your problem fixed soon.

Aa,don't forget to backup your data asap,as guys say.

Best of luck

Macca
ImageImageImage
Grecian
Postmaster

Post by Grecian » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:11 am

Well after close to 12 hours of sodding around with the peice of crap to no avail, I decided to re-format a simple procedure according to what I have read :!:

Cant do it from he existing dektop cuz it says the Windows system on pc is newer than on disk, says re-boot from cd drive, I did and get the blue screen of death:-

STOP: 0x000008e(0cx0000006,0xf77b9b18,0xf7c72a18,0x00000000)

setup.dd.sys - Address f77b9b18 base at f779a000 Datestamp 3d6dd67f
ini910u.sys - Address f7c72a18 base at f7c72a18 Datestamp 00000000

WTH :evil:

I had managed in the meantime to get the desktop back to 1024x768 32 bit by using the default video controller, windows explorer system is as slow as a snail although internet explorer systems seems to be running same as before. Cant get to system info through control panel at all :?:

Grecian
Postmaster

Post by Grecian » Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:09 pm

Found this in relation to above:-
"STOP 0x0000008e" error message during Windows XP setup
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 315335
Last Review : May 27, 2004
Revision : 1.0
This article was previously published under Q315335
SYMPTOMS
When you install Microsoft Windows XP, you may receive a Stop Error message that is similar to one of the following while the Setup program is running:
STOP 0x0000008e
STOP 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA
Additionally, if you troubleshoot by removing all unnecessary hardware devices that are installed on the computer, and then you run the Setup program, you may receive an error message that is similar to the following:
Setup cannot copy the file Setupdd.sys.
CAUSE
This behavior may occur if one of the following conditions is true: • One or more of the random access memory (RAM) modules that are installed on your computer are faulty.
• The RAM configuration is incompatible with Windows XP.

RESOLUTION
To troubleshoot this behavior, follow these steps: 1. Remove some of the memory modules that are installed on the computer. Leave at least the RAM that is required for the computer to start and run Windows XP.

The recommended RAM to run Windows XP is 128 megabytes (MB). The minimum is 64 MB, and the maximum is 4 gigabytes.

For example, if two 256-MB memory modules are installed on your computer, remove one of the memory modules.
2. Restart your computer, and then run the Setup program:a. Insert the Windows XP Setup CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive, start the computer, and then click OK to select the first option screen to install a copy of Windows XP.
b. Click Accept, and then follow the instructions on the screen to complete the Windows XP installation.

3. If you again receive the error message that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section, go to step 4.
4. Remove a different memory module, or install the RAM in a different memory slot.
5. Restart your computer, and then rerun Setup.

You may have to restart your computer several times to identify the specific memory modules that are not working correctly.
Anyone know is it likely to be bad ram causing the problems I have described?

Dont really want to take the lid off as the hardware is under 3 year warranty, don't want to affect that.

Anyone know of software utility that would check RAM integrity?

Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:14 pm

:FI:Grecian wrote:Anyone know is it likely to be bad ram causing the problems I have described?

Dont really want to take the lid off as the hardware is under 3 year warranty, don't want to affect that.

Anyone know of software utility that would check RAM integrity?
A software utility that could check RAM integrity on DOS console? Naw, unfortunately not, Grecian. What about exchanging the RAM modules? Or let your machine run with one module only in order to check which one´s faulty ...

Any good idea, Grec?

Image Image
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:46 pm

Sure I use this one Grecian - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Just let it make several passes to ensure your memory is fine.

Regards,
TactS!