I need to know: Is Murphy's Irish beer truly Irish?

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Kitty
Postmaster

I need to know: Is Murphy's Irish beer truly Irish?

Post by Kitty » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:53 pm

If I ever go to Ireland and I enter a pub and ask for a Murphy, willl I get a beer or will I be shocked by an embarrassing encounter?

I mean, we seriously live in a day and age that every word and name can have very different meanings. One can not be too careful anymore.

So all you Irish scholars and know it alls, is Murphy's beer Irish. Curious ignorant mind wants to know.

http://www.murphys.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(I felt a bit suspicious and cautious when murphys was a .NL and not a .irish website).

Still a very enjoyable beer and not as expensive as Guinness. It's in the fridge and on my desk tonight. Up the murphies.
Chow Meow from Kitty Hawk!
:FI:IceFrog
Forum Junky

Re: I need to know: Is Murphy's Irish beer truly Irish?

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:01 pm

i'll ask one of my buddies in the ACWGC "Niall Murphy" he lives over there, but i have a feeling in this group there is a ton of people who know the answer :D
"IceFrog" Image
The past is the prelude to the future
“Indecision is the key to flexibily”
:FI:Fenian
Just pink and fluffy

Yes.

Post by :FI:Fenian » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:46 pm

It is Irish.

But it seems that only the Murphy's Red is exported to some countries. Can you get the 'Black' stout there aswell? I know you couldn't get it in Spain a few years back....

It's brewed in Cork City, Ireland. It's strange that they have a Dutch Web site...

Here's the official Web site: http://www.murphys.com/splash/

Keep on drinking it!!!! It's VERY tasty ;)
_________
:FI:Fenian

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
Kitty
Postmaster

Post by Kitty » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:51 pm

I only can get the red irish beer, my local supermarket isn't selling any guinness either :( They have some local dark beers tho, but it's just not the same.

And yes the Murphy beer is indeed very tasty :) Cheers!
Chow Meow from Kitty Hawk!
Salahdin
Boardie

Post by Salahdin » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:10 pm

As an Irishman, I have found that Murphys is not very popular outside of Cork. Nobody I know drinks Murphys. The same goes for such drinks as Kilkenny, Beamish & Smithwicks. They generally stick to the guinness which I have found out recently I am allergic to (watery eyes, stomach pains and running nose). That WONT stop me though, up the guinness!!
"God Save Ireland" said the Heroes
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:05 am

I noticed a difference in the taste of Murphy's as compared to Guinness.

Even though the barkeep said the only difference was the price. We tried it in a pub in Bray. I recall it as being good but not as good.

It is available on tap here at few of the finer local dumps. Have yet to see Smithwyck's sold here in TX. I didn't care for it when I tried it.
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

Ianus
Postmaster

Post by Ianus » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:37 pm

We get Guiness and Murphies here in London. It's amazing at the difference in quality though compared to drinking it in Ireland. :(

Guinness (and Murphies for that matter) taste a lot "sharper" to me here in England and think that is because of the water used for the brewing. Which sorta makes sense ;)

I was told that the water for Guiness in Ireland is taken from the "Liffey" which is probably pretty soft... It tastes........ :beer:

I'm going down the pub ;)