I nearly always seem to get "bum" engines...

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Beowolff
Postmaster

I nearly always seem to get "bum" engines...

Post by Beowolff » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:59 pm

great fun with SnoopBaron last night... in several coops and one on ones... however, my computer kept messing up, getting into some sort of 100 percent 'resource' hog mode. don't know what that's about as i've never had that happen before. only two new proggys i'm using are TS and TSO... neither would seem to cause such a thing.

anyway, my rant is that nearly every single game (and this has happened a lot before...not just last night) i seem to get a plane in the game with a bum engine. yeah. now i know that faulty or pre-damaged engines are NOT supposed to be modeled in the game, but still.

everyone else is swooping around and speeding away... zip-zip-zip! here i am chugging (struggling actually) and wallowing around like a 90 year old buffalo with a heart condition and a broke leg. no eagle soaring for me...i'm too busy trying to keep 'my' plane from staggering out of the air and lawn darting into the tundra. :?

any ideas on this?

really, this has plagued me since the early days of IL2... many times---not every time but many---the plane i'm flying just seems to lack power to even stay airborne. yet the NEXT game in the SAME plane... if feels completely different and handles fine.

very odd.

ideas, suggestions, comments, appreciated.

(perhaps its a God thing... payback for past sins on occasion, or something to that effect.)

Beo
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:12 pm

Volfie dahlink,

Sadly it's prolly not the game but you.

It would be easier to help you during a session, but let's touch on some major points.

Are you using CEM? (Complex Engine Management)

If you are you may have the prop set to low RPM's.

Are you flying right? When do you notice that the rest of the planes are passing you by?

During a climb? Are you still climbing a wee bit, when you think you're in cruise?

Gah, I don't know what else to ask ... um ...

Do you have the same model aircraft as the others? Maybe your P-40b looks the same as the other guy's P-40E, but it can't keep up.

Next time you're up with a member, spend some time with them.

Catch me and I'll be glad to help.

Anyone else? It's awful early for me yet.

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Deathsledge
The Unforseeable

Post by Deathsledge » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:19 pm

hey there Beo, just wanted to ask a simple question. what key do you have prop pitch mapped to? might want to make sure its not turned all the way down or half-way down. needs 100% for take-off power.

just a stab m8,
goodluck sir ^:)
There are two things that are infinite in life, human stupidity and the universe, and I'm not too sure about the universe. Albert Einstein
Finbar1
Postmaster

Post by Finbar1 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:28 pm

Try raising the gear ;)
:FI:Spitsfire
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Spitsfire » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:04 pm

are you using WEP?
just an idea, or are you using CEM on a 109 and forgetting that it can't rev to high...
ah com'on we've all done it... havent we? :oops:
Winner of the FIS pink n'shiney,
"Gee winkies! I've been here over a year
and am still completely normal,
pookey-pookey-pookey." Award!
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:26 pm

Enusure fuel load is appropriate for the mission. You can normally get away with 25% in the more frugal planes ... sometimes 50%. Unliess you know you are going to be cruising around for at least an hour there is no point carrying the extra fuel.

Get the slim pilot skin... don't want to be flying around with the Fat Controller (Thomas the Tank Engine fans unite!) at the helm.

G
I fear no beer

:FI:ZekeMan
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:17 pm

Actually I believe this phenomenom can be blamed on connection/lag. I've expereinced this too, but not in just IL-2. One night I cannot be touched by anyone, whether it be in HL or blasting away in America's Army. The next instance, sometimes maybe a couple hours separating games, I can no do nothing except make a great target for the other guy. I could be strain on the server, perhaps a drain on system RAM, a build up of temp files on the computer, or simply the connections has got to hell!
I know Beo well enough to know that he checks his rpms and prop pitch, mixture too. It wouldn't be a stretch at all to blame it on the internet! <S>!

Z

We sleep safe in our beds, because rough men stand ready in the night, to visit violence upon those that would do us harm... James Orwell
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:39 am

well... i did as you all asked. checked my engine management, made sure i was at 25 percent fuel, made sure me flaps was in, my rpm was correct, my gear was up---etc, etc. ---and at last i've hit upon the answer! :idea:

hell---I was playing Call Of Duty! :p

no wonder the engine of me plane was bum! i wasn't IN a bloody plane at all!

DOH!

(actually there may be something to Zeke's idea... especially since i'm on sorry-assed dialup at 'less than' 56K. like him, i've actually experienced a similiar slothness in first person shooters as well from time to time. but in IL2 with the wild and wacky flying/shooting/AI contortions and such, it seems magnified on occasion. I don't know truthfully what it is... but yeah, i'm on complex engine management and yes, my RPMs/prop pitch, etc, etc... are checked constantly and almost always correct---so if i'm personally doing something wrong there, i have no idea what it could be. and again, it 'doesn't' happen ALL the time. just on occasion...which is tricky, eh? best description is a 'wallowing' around feeling... of barely enough power to stay airborne. but then the VERY next game, everything will often seem fine and dandy and i have power to burn. a blooming mystery---it is!)
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ianus
Postmaster

Post by Ianus » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:20 am

hell---I was playing Call Of Duty!

LOl :lol: You are a Silly Billy
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:42 pm

I can almost guarantee its something that has to do with your connection Beo, I've put a fair amount of swearing and cursing energy into the same events. I'm positive it has nothing to do with your advanced age, where simple things can be goofed up, or the fact that your reflexes have probably atrophied to those of a stick in slowly hardening concrete. :badgrin: I won't mention the time you coudln't get your computer to work, and come to find out you forgot to turn it on. :)

Z

We sleep safe in our beds, because rough men stand ready in the night, to visit violence upon those that would do us harm... James Orwell
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:16 am

well, thanky Zeke buddy for NOT mentioning all those things. whew! wouldn't want the lads here thinking i'm that old and helpless.

but just to set the record straight... my computer was NOT turned off! no sir!

it was unplugged. big difference.

so there!

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:14 pm

:FI:Beowolff wrote:well, thanky Zeke buddy for NOT mentioning all those things. whew! wouldn't want the lads here thinking i'm that old and helpless.

but just to set the record straight... my computer was NOT turned off! no sir!

it was unplugged. big difference.

so there!

Beowolff
Details!

:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:32 am

Hi Beo,

It could be network lag or computer lag how fast is your system? Does it happen in big complicated missions only or does it also happen in small coops with few planes?

Snoop
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:48 pm

in both, actually, Snoop. even the other night when you and i were playing... i experienced it in a couple of the games. now the first P-47 plane i flew...the one in the coop i had made...was okay. later, when you and i duked it out in one of your mini-maps in P-47s, my own Jug was wallowing around from the onset... seemed to barely have enough power to stay airborne.

and its not just in Jugs that i experience this. from time to time, ALL planes have acted this way. luckily, this Wed night when we played, everything seemed fine. its a hit or miss deal, i never know when its gonna happen or NOT happen.

i'm almost sure its a lag issue... either with my computer or the net... and not just with IL2, as i've experienced it with several other games from time to time. its just more noticable in IL2 because that's the game i play the most often.

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair