running HL with Linux

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Mikester
The Unforseeable

running HL with Linux

Post by :FI:Mikester » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:50 am

Hi Gents,

Not sure how many of you use linux, but im now on to my second server, my idea is to ues Linux as an OS and attempt to set up another dedicated server.

I like to play with computers :)

Anyway I remember Dan saying a while back ho couldn't run HL with his Linux system!! At the time I thought why the hell not! Now I have the operating system installed and set up I thought I would try running HL. To run any windows based applications you need to install some add on software called wine! This creates a Virtual C: drive with a windows folder and a few files in the system 32 directory. So I have the machine all up to date and all applications required to run windows based software, but!! After many attempts to fire up HL and failing either by nothing happening or some error messages, after reading a few forums from the HL site and 12 hours of messing around i was able to get HL to run but it had graphics problems and after 10 sec's it would shut back down! Thats as close to getting the software to run as i've got.

Anyone managed to get HL working ?? Dan!

Linux ubuntu 7.04
wine 9.5
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Found this while looking for something else

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:55 pm

Hints:
- wine MUST emulate Win98
- I needed to install the following native .dlls from a win cd: ws2_32.dll, wsock32.dll, ole32.dll, oleaut32.dll, olepro32.dll, imm32.dll, rpcrt4.dll, msvcrt.dll, mswinsck.ocx
- caveat: even if you do install all these files be prepared to fiddle with it all day long... it took >20hrs in my case, and I don´t think I´m done with all of it.
http://hyperfighter.sk/modules.php?name ... pic&t=1555

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:18 am

I'm afraid my impatience got the best of me, and I gave up, even with all the forums I visited.

I don't recall ever seeing HL as a tested program at wineHQ.org. Being fairly new to Linux just installing WINE was a pain.

Sorry I can't be of much assistance here, but it looks as if Sneaky's find is one of the better ones out there.

I haven't touched Linux for months. :oops:

Maybe I should.
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Mikester
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Mikester » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:52 am

Cheers anyway Gents,

I did see that post also Sneaky, I installed these files still not HL. Looks like I could be on this one for a while. If I get it working I'll let you know.

Mike