Hello

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:IceFrog
Forum Junky

Hello

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:07 pm

Hello
I’ve applied to fly with you guys and am told to let you know a little about me.
As I was flying around with Lothar and that other Richthoven,,,,,,,, wait that was another game… it’s hard to keep this reality straight nowadays. I’ve been in Civil War game club for the last 4 years now, that being a play by email game. Then I stumbled across these online games, been doing the “Pacific Fighters” for I think 2 weeks now and I’m hooked, now I didn’t say good at it, just hooked on it.
I live in La Habra California, USA, my name is Les Knight
I work as an engineer for a commercial millwork company, been doing it for 30 years now, which also has deaden my since of reality. I’m also an amateur artist and was doing murals, but they kept getting larger and larger,,,,,,,,,,,,, one of the things I love with this PF are the pictures, WoW
Been fighting against the computer so far but it just ain’t the same as going against other person. And what I’ve seen so far with this squadron has really impressed me, some of the signatures of you guys I’ve seen are a little off center so I should fit right in, well my doctor says I’m almost normal again, so when that happens…… but having a little Irish blood in me where else would I go?
I’ve been calling myself “IceDog” but if I get into FI I’m thinking of changing that, I’ve never heard of an Irishmen with ice in his drink,,,,,,, (something from my college days)
Thanks
IceDog
"IceFrog" Image
The past is the prelude to the future
“Indecision is the key to flexibily”
:FI:Fenian
Just pink and fluffy

Howdy Les!

Post by :FI:Fenian » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:49 pm

First thing to consider is that we don't play just PF.

We play a combination of IL2, Forgotten Battles and PF.

It's called a merged install of all three. So, simply put, you'd need all three CD sets to be able to play online with us.

Having said that, the old IL2 and FB games should be pretty cheap by now :D

If you are intent on getting the lot fixed up and are more than welcome to join our ever-expanding flock of Americans :) A finer bunch you could not hope to meet.

And the Europeans are quite nice too. We've taken to bathing more often in the last century, so don't worry too much ;)

Mine's a pint!

:beer:

;)
_________
:FI:Fenian

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
:FI:Spitsfire
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Spitsfire » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:10 pm

hi :)
just to ammend ole Fen here ;) you need FB+AEP(Aces Expansion Pack)+PF to play online.
still 3 cd's though!
and me! :beer:

S!
Winner of the FIS pink n'shiney,
"Gee winkies! I've been here over a year
and am still completely normal,
pookey-pookey-pookey." Award!
Forum Junky

Re: Howdy Les!

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:06 am

:FI:Fenian wrote:First thing to consider is that we don't play just PF.
did not know that, but you twisted my arm now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, they are now in the mail :D FB+AEP(Aces Expansion Pack), knid of like hitting the tip of the iceburg and then finding out there's more to it, anything else :?: ,,,,,,,, so you guys load them right over each other and never play by themselfs?

IceDog
"IceFrog" Image
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:15 am

Install order is
FB>AEP>PF

Then patch to pf_v401m.exe

PF can be done as a merged install (hence the m suffix on the patch number) or stand alone product so you probably won't need to remove your existing install, just when prompted installing for teh second time, just specify for a merged install.

G
I fear no beer

Ianus
Postmaster

Post by Ianus » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:32 am

And the Europeans are quite nice too. We've taken to bathing more often in the last century, so don't worry too much
lol,, you speak for yourself m8.. :D

Hmmm Eau natural,,,, 8-[

Welcome Les :D Were they the Talansoft civil war games you were playing?
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:24 pm

Were they the Talansoft civil war games you were playing?

yes but in the last year or so the club has started to play more of the HPS campaigns
:)
"IceFrog" Image
Ianus
Postmaster

Post by Ianus » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:39 pm

Love Hps stuff. Trouble is for me they take a lot of commitment and dont really get that much time and when I do, well IL2 takes over :?
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:55 pm

Scott Hamilton of HPS!

A great guy, I helped him (more like he helped me) with testing Aide de Camp and Aide de Camp II back in the last century and helped him install ceramic tiles in his kitchen. That guy would spend hours on the phone with you working out the smallest details to help a customer. The last time I spoke to him was about seven years ago. He asked how my kitchen floor was doing.

Fal "namedropper" con

oh!

and welcome to the forums Les!

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Ianus
Postmaster

Post by Ianus » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:05 pm

Impressed m8..

Great games although not for the faint hearted. I've only ever managed to get nearly through one full campaign. That was the longest day,, phew!! more like 3mnths :oops:
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:14 pm

ha!

Do you know the old GDW (Game Designer's Workshop)? The Europa series? DNO, and the Russian expansions?

with

eighty bzillian counters?

Scott knew I was recreating DNO with the old Aide de Camp and he was very interested to see if his game could handle the mass of info. I had to make a few short cuts on the units, but it did!

whew, that was a blown year

but worth it.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:18 pm

:shock: One o dem left coasters!! FFS!! and he's an older fart too!! :D

Welcome to our lil corner of insanity. ( not quite as insane as LA freeways though, NOR as dangerous ;) )

AND La Habra ain't too far from the scenic delights of lovely downtown Rancho Cucamonga!! :lol: WHo can overlook beautiful Corona too? :roll: FFS A trip down memory lane. :oops:

I trucked all around your part of the world in the 80's and early 90's. Doubt I'll wander back out there. :lol:

Planes of Fame at Chino is a fun place to check out if you haven't already.

Look forward to seein more of ya here.

Willie

Just wonderin' WHAT were they SMOKING when they named Rancho Cucamonga?? :oops: :badgrin:
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:52 pm

:FI:WillieOFS wrote:... Just wonderin' WHAT were they SMOKING when they named Rancho Cucamonga?? ...
whatEVER they could find.
Ianus
Postmaster

Post by Ianus » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:02 pm

whatEVER they could find

LOl,,

Errherm, I remember the name games workshop although I'm not sure from where. I used to play Avalon Hill games mostly. Does anyone remember the board for Avalon hills longest day. i think it was about 5ft by 4ft or something like that... Ahh Panzerblitz, Squad Leader, Jutland, loads of em..

Thats the only thing I dont like about PC gaming you dont get all those lovely boards and counters to look at and play with :)
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:31 pm

Hey!

let's not forget this is Les' welcoming thread!

Get back on track now!

The GDW (latter GDR) maps for all of Europa (from DNO, Drang nach Osten and Unentschieden in the east) to Their Finest Hour in the west) were of heavy card stock and measured ... oh, about 18' x 15'. Just the east front modules had at least 12,000 to 20,000 counters.

Gah!
Last edited by :FI:Falcon on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.