New PC Buid

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Gadje
The Unforseeable

Re: New PC Buid

Post by :FI:Gadje » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:19 pm

About the same when stressed. I had the fan throttling aiming for 45oC core temp and it only went above that after the o/c.(must have got the thermal cooling on ok after all)

Try Prime95 to stress the cpu and Cuid do a good mainboard monitor for temps/volts/fan speed. The O/C software that came with the MSI board 'Control centre' was a POS. Wrong temps and volts and hindered rather than helped. Fancydan software to sell the board to the masses but total cack, dunno about Asus though.I just used the bios.

Talking about your card o/c, MSI do have a good bit of software for that. 'Afterburner' is worth getting if the Asus one is not up to it, You can up the volts. If you get that o/c on stock GPU volts you will get it higher with a bit of juice,,,,,watching temps! maybe 880-900- GTX 580 speed!

Fun it might be but the thing is the only point in overclocking is if it makes a noticable difference to frames in CoD etc . Otherwise just stressing components for nowt.
The Bios allows you to set a multiplier limit for each core rather than an overall multiplier. If you set the overall multiplier to auto, the cores to your o/c then if you overvolt for the o/c it will drop the volts to default when the cpu throttles down. It is one way of getting a high o/c but not continously overvolting.
:FI:Mikester
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Mikester » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:11 am

Not sure about your Board G but mine had hyper-threading on as default. I'd expect yours to be the same. Try knocking this off and see if you loose some heat. Only some apps use hyper-threading not COD and I doubt any the other games. Might allow you to reduce volts and up the multiplier.

Hyper-Threading can create an additiona 4 virtual cores giving you 8, only with apps that support hyper-threading. Other than that it causes extra heat and requires extra power.
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:07 am

The 2500K doesn't have it M.

Like my luck with the 570 this 2500K is pretty good. Added 0.1v to go to 1.4 vcore and it ran Prime95 stable at 4.8ghz. However the temps were 10c more than 4.5ghz. No need.

So now I have it on auto voltage (1.3) auto multiplier (33) and in the advanced menu turned up each cores limit to 4.5ghz, Now when Intels turboboost kicks in it take the cores to 4.5 and 1.3 v but when it throttles down volts drop to 0.95v =D] . Got to be better for its longevity than being at 1.33v or whatever all the time. The volt throttling only happens with auto vcore voltage on my board. And lets face it 4.5ghz is well fast enough and temps are around 50c at this on prime95 much less in IL2 and <30c at idle (it is Scotland you know).

Fast,cool and quiet is the aim I'm trying for. U

(Until I get CoD and it turns into a small, noisy fan assisted oven :) )
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Mikester » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:47 pm

fedup waiting on vertex 3 so ordered same drive as you G. Looked today and they are now in stock!! :evil:
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Mikester » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:43 pm

change of plan, Vertex 3 coming tomorrow :D
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:15 pm

Returned previous start on pc build and just picked up new stuff this week. Actually with all the talk on CoD being so negative, considered not doing the build. But there seemed enough positive, plus there's some other decent stuff out there to justify a new rig. Hell, maybe I can at least play IL2 now at more than 4fps. So here is what I have so far...

ASUS P8P67 Pro-R3
Intel i5 2500K
Corsair XMS 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600
Hitachi 500GB
Samsung 22x DVD+- RW
Antec True Power 750w
Cooler Master HAF912 Case
Corsair H60 Hydro Cooler

I just couldn't pull off a SSD yet. The scary part will be putting it together. I had been freaked about it, now I'm just nervous.

My dilema now is the video (have to wait until next payday anyway). Either the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 or GeForce GTX 560 Ti. The 570 is $300 after the rebate and the 560 Ti is $230 after the rebate. The 570 performs better, but not sure if it's $70 better. I saw the other thread in here about this too, not sure there was a clear cut answer. Finances may dictate that it's the 560 Ti. If I go with the 560 Ti the system total will be $1050. A pretty good pc at a pretty good price (provided I don't F it up when putting it together). Fingers crossed 1C gets CoD patched and utilizing multicore in time for the North American release, help me feel a little better about my very expensive new toy.
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:48 pm

You will be happy with either Noter.
The GTX 560ti is a great card for the price. Reviews I've seen, there is only a 5-10% performance difference at stock speeds. Overclock the 560 and it can overtake the 570 out the box.
I bought a 570 because I found a o/c one in the UK for around the price of a top end 560ti. If you do go for the 560 you might want to consider a 2Gb Vram model. CoD eats this up. I'm sure my cards 1.25Gb is all being used and could use more. While deciding I noticed Palit did a 2Gb one at the same price as most of the 1Gb models. Gigabyte make one too I think.
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:51 pm

Matthew,

Putting it together shouldn't be a problem as long as you follow the instructions carefully. Be sure to READ all instructions and understand them, and heed all warnings before beginning assembly. The MB, Video Card, and Audio card all have specific instructions for inatall so read 'em all before ya start.

I don't dabble in OCing (I'm sure I'd blow the machine to bits), but many of us have built our own rigs, so assembly is a snat...er cinch.
If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask around the forums, check out YouTube, or call Gadje COLLECT. :D

We'll help any way we can.
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:21 pm

Thanks guys for the advice and help. Well, I went with the EVGA GTX 560 Ti Superclocked $240 after rebate. I've got everything installed and plugged in (I hope). I have not turned it on yet, couple switches and such I'm still not sure of.

ASUS P8P67 Pro mb

TPU Switch- optimize system for fast stable speeds. I'm guessing I should turn it on for now. Off to overclock?

EPU Swith- detects pc loadings and moderates power consumption. Again probably should be on, why would it be off?
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:24 pm

good luck ...

we're all counting on you ...

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Heloego » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:56 am

Pay no attention to Stu.
His RAM is small.

There's an Algebraic formula to clearly illustrate the point, but I'd rather not embarass him. He's really a nice guy. ;)
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:18 pm

That's how it feels Falcon, great illustrative pics. I did actually turn it on, best I can tell everything seems to be working. I don't have a monitor at the moment, so I have no idea what is actually happening, but it booted up and lights and fans came on, then just shut it down.
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:36 pm

erm ...

you're gonna need a monitor soon ...

if only for the pop-ups an' stuff.

Stu "the techmeister" art

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:23 pm

First. Loved Airplane and Airplane II. But seriously, you H.E. folks need to give Notes a little breathing space while he gets his rig ready to play ROF with me. [-X
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Heloego » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Oh, ROF!

Tee Hee. I misread and thought you said "Rough".

You rascal! :D