New PC Buid

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

New PC Buid

Post by :FI:Noter » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:37 pm

I've been talking with Falcon on a computer build for over a year now. My current computer is going on 8-9 years old and just not cutting it. I can't even play the updated IL-2, the 4 fps I get just isn't fun. We are credit card less at the moment and the wife wouldn't be too happy with me getting a $1500 toy (which is what the new pc would/will be). So I won't be buying a pre-built computer. So I am going to build my own (very scary). A couple hundred emails back and forth with Falcon and I think I've got my components list ready.

We have a MicroCenter near my work and I will likely be getting my parts through them via cash, so nothing in the checkbook and the "What's this $250 for a Cheetah giga screamer card, are you going to the strip clubs again!?" I know internet prices are likely cheaper, but only by a couple bucks over what I am finding at the store, so that route is not really an option here.

So here is what I am looking at:

Case: Cooler Master Gladiator 600 ATX
4-5 120mm fans (not sure of brands here)

MB: Asus Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 ATX

Processor: Core i7-950 3.06GHz

Memory: 6GB of the cheapest, but still good brand

Cooler: Corsair H50 Hydro Water Cooler

Power: Corsair Gaming Series 800 Watt

At this point hope to start actually putting it together

HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB 7,200rpm SATA 3.0

Drive: Samsung Lightscribe 22x DVD+- RW

Video: No clue, except to leaning towards NVidia. The case will support up to 10.5" cards, some cards are pushing well past this size.

At this point I have yet to purchase a single thing. Minus the video card I am looking at $880. Falcon mentioned Mikester was looking at a new build too and thought it would be good to throw this out there and see what others thought or might suggest. Saw the new post on the March release of COD. The build has a lot to do with the new game, but also like to try some other stuff (RoF) I just can't run at the moment.
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Re: New PC Buid

Post by :FI:Heloego » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:39 am

Noter,

Looks like you selected parts for a right decent rig! Shouldn't be obsolete for at least another year. ;-)

Seriously, Stu definitely got you pointed in right direction.

Just a couple of things:

1. Cooling. Don't set your heart on a liquid system just yet. Save your decision until you've aquired all the other guts. Why? Because some of the passive coolers available can equal or exceed the performance of the active (liquid) systems. And save you some grief in the wallet area.
Some good ones to check out:
Antec Kuhler Series. Three sizes, and any one of them is $49.99 each.
Arctic Cooling Freezer 13. $35.90 will handle 200 watts easily.
Corsair Air Series A70 $47.99
Scythe Rasetsu. $55.00. Has it's own 120mm fan.

2. Graphics. Don't skimp on this one! Get as much GRam or VRam as you can afford. I'm only familiar with the NVidia stuf, so here are a suggestion or few:
GTS 460/465 Series: Generally for the budget-concious. Range is $190.00 - $250.00. Available with 768Mb or 1 Gig RAM. Several available from ZOTAC, ECS, Sparkle, and Galaxy.
GTS 470 Series: Several available ranging from $249.00 - $459.00, depending on your wallet, cooling apparatus, and brand preference. All are OC'd. Some are MASSIVE. Recommend Zotac AMP. @ $249.00. Has an exellent after amrket cooler and CPU magazine was quite impressed at the bang for the buck.
You could go all out and get a GTS 470 or the 560 when it's available, but you did imply you were trying to save $$$.

Another option is to first make a final decision what you want, then throw it at one of the big builders out there for an estimate. Often they can do it for you cheaper than if you build your own because of quantity discounts they receive for OEM components. The savings can be easily passed on to you. (Example: I spent $2800 custom building my machine four years ago. A month later, I was seeing it's equivalent advertised complete for under $2000, without monitor.)

Good Hunting!
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:31 am

Make sure you go with win7 64 bit. You won't be sorry.
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:04 am

Thanks for the tips guys. Any builder sites you could recommend there Helo? Love to check them out.

Also on the video card front what's the deal with using two video cards? Can you get too less expensive cards and get better graphics and frame rates, or go with one mac daddy of a card? I still don't think there is any info on what COD will or won't support. What about RoF?
:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:45 pm

make sure you can support multiple monitors.
the more memory the better.

Maybe get a 1200w psu.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:31 am

Or you could support multiple PSU's and get a 1200watt Montor. :)

A few decent builders to get estimates. These are commercial outfits, so getting a custom rig with your components may be a crap shoot:

http://www.ibuypower.com
http://www.sentey.com
http://www.cyberpower.com

Some custom builders:

http://www.maingear.com
http://www.pugetsystems.com
http://www.gamepc.com
buydirectpc.com

Too many to list.

If you pick up a copy of PC Gaming, or CPU you'd be doing yourself a favor.
This month's CPU is all about Cooling.
Last month was a review of all the latest video cards.
Do a search for "Custom Computers", "Custom PC's", "Custom Gaming Rigs", et al.
Every swingin' dick want to get into the act.

BTW, get Stu to tell you all about SSD's. :)
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:43 am

So if I do move up to Win7-64bit, which version is the best bet?
Home Premium seems to me to be for PC newbs.
I'm thinking along the lines of Ultimate or Pro.
What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:10 am

Unless you want more networking options/abilities, an XP mode, more theft and data loss security and need more diagnostic abilities, stick with the Homey. It's beaucoup cheaper.

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Heloego » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:50 am

Please note that I did not say anything about $$$.

I'm more interested in more networking options/abilities, an XP mode, more theft and data loss security and want more diagnostic abilities. besides, I always go for an OEM version to save any shekels. :)

If there's not much difference between Ultimate and Pro...

Besides, I'll just sell my vacation for the next four years and substitute Win7 64-bit for Duxford 2015. ;)
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Noter is building a new rig! =D] Congrats Matthew. Being awful sneaky with regard to the misses. Love it! Truly the game plan of a husband and father. I might have done similar things back in the day (of course not nowadays :^o ). If you run out of parts just grab what you need from your Xbox. [-X

The hardware looks good. You have the making of a solid machine. Not discouraging the future proofing and extras, but KISS (keep it simple stupid) and focus on what you need. Liquid cooling is because of a dual graphics configuration, right? With the newer i7 solution, opposed to the quad core, the temps are much better. Still hearing iffy things about SSD so a 7200 rpm conventional HD is what I would go with. As you know - CPU (i7), Graphics & plenty of RAM (cheap nowadays) are the keys. Throw a nice widescreen monitor and you're back in business.

Good luck my friend.
TS!
:FI:Rabitski
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Rabitski » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:10 pm

Liquid Cooled is fine, don't bother with dual cards go with 1 big one and SSD's works fine so a single 256GB ( or what ever you can afford,just get 1 and forget about raid that does not work :cry: ) it will get you in a game while most other players are still thinking about joining, I'm using both, have the SSD and a 1TB 7200rmp hard-drive.
McBiggles has a very good idea (I know that doesn't happen often :) ) but I'll wait to see if he does something with it; this would be for other guy's who are thinking of upping there systems, pester him about the details :badgrin:
:FI:McBiggles
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:McBiggles » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:10 pm

For those who don't fancy any welding, check out the Dell Factory Outlet.
The stock changes all the time, but I'm thinking this is what I'll be looking into.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sence of tragedy, which sustained him, through temporary periods of joy.
W.B. Yeats
:FI:Rabitski
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Rabitski » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:35 pm

Been looking over that some great deals there on the high end stuff you would save about $3000 and still have a real high end computer but better yet wide options for upgrading in the future.
:FI:Mikester
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Mikester » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:24 pm

Been having a look at parts tonight, this isn't set and stone for me but this is roughly what ill be looking at. Might look at other mb's but part from that im fairly happy with the price and spec. ill check other sites for prices also. Im going fairly high end. ive had my pc for over 6 years so be a nice pressie from santa Mike.

case
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... =7&subcat=
£90

cpu
Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... ubcat=1859
£260

MB
Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard - (Sandybridge) [4719543177754]
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... -AS&tool=5
£150

Graphics Card
GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... =GX-146-OK
£390

SSD
OCZ Vertex 2E Bigfoot 120GB 3.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... =HD-060-OC
£190

memory
Corsair Dominator GT 6GB x2
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... ubcat=1392
12 gig
£300

psu
corsair 750w (need to check if this will do)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... ubcat=1084
£90 (got one of these in my current rig. will Swap over if good enough)

Total=1460
Last edited by :FI:Mikester on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:32 pm

Thanks for the input gentlemen. Looking good Mikester, makes me feel good about what I was looking at (because they are similar). I will check out the SSD, a bit more money, but might be worth it. I did check out the Dell Outlet and they had some good buys, but just can't swing that much in one lump sum.

I have actually started my purchasing after saving for months. I've spent $360 so far.

Zalman 850w PSU
Asus Sabertooth X58 1366 ATX
Thermaltake V3 case
Coolmaster 120mm (4 in 1 pack) fans

Salesman talked me into the Zalman 850w PSU over the Corsair 750 I was looking at, and went with different case, the CoolerMaster I picked out was out of stock. I think it's a good start. Hope to go back later next week and get most of the rest. Still unsure about video. Falcon has been helping me a lot with links and tips. I'm looking to spend in the $250 range on the video card, less if I can get away with it. Suggestions on this front would be great too (not that Falcon's haven't been great). I'll likely go with Rab's suggestion and get one good card to start with, well, one good card I can afford, and mabye dual cards as money presents itself. I'll also need to check and see how much more mula the SSD's are. Limited choices suck with limited finances.