Silent Hunter V

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Silent Hunter V

Post by :FI:Scott » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:06 am

Time to get that 'sinking feeling' again ?

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=155001
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

:FI:Spitsfire
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Re: Silent Hunter V

Post by :FI:Spitsfire » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:40 am

Saw the cheesy trailer, crew interaction looks good but it seems to look dated already!
Will have to wait and see on this one...
Winner of the FIS pink n'shiney,
"Gee winkies! I've been here over a year
and am still completely normal,
pookey-pookey-pookey." Award!
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:40 am

Yeah, I'm curious how it is gonna work out.

SH4 was a big disappointment when it was released, with bugs which were not only serious but also plain stupid,like not working features which were described as working in manual... plus some ridiculous technical issues like the resolution (which was fixed). With patches and mods became a wonderful game... Just like SH3.

To me it seems that the nowadays devs are putting more effort into "eyecandiness" instead of historical and technical accuracy. But I keep my fingers crossed, hope they learned some from GWX team ;) And maybe they'll finish their game this time.

Mac

P.S. I would rather have some Allied subs portrayed (not American), like Royal Navy submarines, etc..
ImageImageImage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:54 pm

I never got SH4 altough it did call to me in the supermarket a while ago when I saw it for a fiver. I know Greg played it alot and mentioned the general crapiness when it was released.

I played SH3 and it achieved something no game ever has in my experience- a full on rant from the light of my life over the amount of time I was spending on it. You could do 3 hours on that thing and not even know it.
- Willy Wonka.

:FI:Rabitski
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Rabitski » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:21 am

Sh 3 was crap until the GWX mod, SH 4 was crap until the Real Fleet Boat mod (a new version is coming out this November) and I'm sure SH 5 will be the same, total poo until it get a decent mod, and with the amount of people that are into U-Boat that shouldn't take that long. I would have like to see some brit boats but hey I'll take what I can get.
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:15 am

Funny thing they keep making the same mistakes.Thought its gonna be a blast with some GWX for SH5;)
ImageImageImage
:FI:Sacktime
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Sacktime » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:55 pm

:FI:Rabitski wrote:Sh 3 was crap until the GWX mod.
Yep. =D]
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:39 pm

ImageImageImage
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:04 pm

Folks!

In spite of the fact that the DRM, the out-sourced game savings and other minor bugs/issues/troubles are still a pain in the a**e SH5 is definitely a nice looking game. I´d like to present you some of my best shots out of the "Total Germany" campaign (1939/1940) I´ve played so far. Enjoy the piccies, folks! :D

Ahoi, mates! ^:)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:25 pm

Nice pics Frank,

The graphics look way ahead of SH3, which is the last version I played. How does it run on your machine ?.

It looks tempting but tbh the last time I had a SH game in the end I had to uninstall it because it was taking up hours of time. I remember taking a day of work and deciding to 'have a quick half hour' in the morning. I got off at 7pm !!. Neither the job or she who must be ignored would hack that again :(
- Willy Wonka.

:FI:Airway
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Airway » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:52 am

Some critics.

Too, bad noone was able to play the game often yet, if officially bought.
Yet they recalled the metal box versions in Germany, because of use of anticonstitutional emblems.
Then, their servers were under attack and players not able to log in to play the game.
Remember, this new DRM is forcing one to be online as long as you play the game.
No internet connection, no playing.
It was posted that recently the whole thing was taken over by a hacker group from the good old Atari times.

Well beside all that, several game reviews showed a max of 3 out of 10 possible points for SH5

It is said as the most buggiest game ever, uncompleted, with a lot of errors, faults & glitches
and with a game play mode, not really bringing fun in the game. Opposite
As the captain you have to manage the boat on yourr own.
You have to walk through the boat to manage all stations.
From the outlook down to the weapons station, back to the periscop and so on, and that several times.

Modders from SH3 & 4 said, as they looked into the code, that it's the worst piece of crap, ever,
remains from SH 3 & SH 4 are mixed with new parts.
Many things left not working, sound files not referred, rendering many gun sounds silent.

Well, SH5 may look good, but for me, a sim is more than just good looking.
I won't honor the publisher and programmers by buying this game, if that's all true what it is said on many
game magazines, testing reports and forums.

Especially this new "always-online" DRM is pushing UBISOFT out of the way for me.
I hadn't bought RoF because of that, so I won't buy anything else.
Every bought is a support of those paternalism mechanisms.

Don't get me wrong, I don't wanna make the game bad for someone interested in it,
I'm just fed up of those unfinished pieces of crap and these stupid, fecking, dictating, rstricting DRM's

In these days, where I've lost my internet landline connection and only beeing able to watch a few sites
via mobile phone or mobile connection internet stick, I wouldnt have been able to play a game like
SH 5 even if I had bought it and payed 50 Euro, which is 69 US-$ or 45 British pounds.
No-GO for me.
Image ImageImage
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:14 am

Great pictures, Frank, thx for sharing;)

I hope you are enjoying the game;)

Actually it is possible to play the game offline without cracking any exe stuff, I've read about it with full instructions on the Silent Hunter Mods Forums.

It is suprising how unfinished the game is. There are many big and small bugs, some leftovers from SH3 and 4, there are features missing - I would say that the devs must hate hardcore subsimmers. Some lad started digging into the game file structure and code, found some features which are great but unpolished and simply were turned off.

SH3 was not that bad at the day of its release compared to SH5. I got SH5 as I believe that modders will make something out of it. I would rather have a game that doesn't need modding to run properly with all the features that the devs had YEARS (since GWX firstcame out) to prepare to incorporate into next game.

And I truly hate the walking in your sub stuff. So few crewman onboard. I have a severe flooding - the idiots sit and do nothing. One-eyed 1st officer...who let him get there?? no wonder we cannot spot anything... and somebody tell me why there is "extreme speed" insteead of "flank speed"...warp drive or WTF?

the graphics are stunning and absolutely goergous and I hope the next patch and the ones that will follow will fix the game as it has great potential - it is much more moddable than SH3 and 4. But I have very bad opinion bout the devs now...
ImageImageImage
:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:37 pm

nice shots. where do you get time to play all these games?