Ram

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Eagle
Boardie

Ram

Post by :FI:Eagle » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:46 pm

So, the other day I found out I only have 1 GB of ram. I have also heard that ram speeds up everything on the computer. Would that include loading time for IL2. Usually if I click on IL2 it takes a good minute for IL2 to even start. Longer with mods on. Would buying ram solve that problem? Would it also increase my FPS which is usually in the 15-20 range unless I am over a city then it is down to 2-5. I was wondering how much ram I should buy?
:FI:Conman
Postmaster
Location: Brockford, Suffolk, England, U.K., Europe, Earth, mil

Re: Ram

Post by :FI:Conman » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:27 pm

:FI:Eagle wrote:So, the other day I found out I only have 1 GB of ram. I have also heard that ram speeds up everything on the computer. Would that include loading time for IL2. Usually if I click on IL2 it takes a good minute for IL2 to even start. Longer with mods on. Would buying ram solve that problem? Would it also increase my FPS which is usually in the 15-20 range unless I am over a city then it is down to 2-5. I was wondering how much ram I should buy?
I Bought some ram now i can play i used to have 1 gig and stoped everyone from playing now id reconmend getting 2+ more gigs of Ram to get you PC up to speed and yes it will help your loading times ;)
Boardie

Post by :FI:Eagle » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:45 pm

Thanks. I will try to buy some ram today. What is a good price for 2 gigs of ram? Just to be sure I am not getting ripped off.
:FI:Wardog
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wardog » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:30 pm

Eagle

First things first check out what type of ram you need. Also check the manufacturer of your motherboard to make sure it can take 2 gig or more.

Wardog ^:) :beer: :beer:
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:00 am

RAM speeds up your system by providing a faster method of accessing the files necessary to run a program. The more RAM you have, the faster your system will run...to a point...because instead of accessing the Hard Drive for the additional files, it uses the RAM instead. It's much faster.
RAM is also on your Graphics Card, so upgrading your crad to one with more GRAM is very beneficial.
All of this, of course depends on what you can afford.

Assuming you're using XP a good combination is 2gb of RAM on your Motherboard, and as good a Graphics Card with as much GRAM as you can afford.

Some things to consider:

1. Your OS... Is it XP (max 2 gb RAM), Vista (up to 6 gb), or some variety of Linux (even more)?
2. Motherboard... How much RAM will it support, and what type? Check your MB mfr site to get the recommended RAM specs.
3. RAM is available in 1gb and 2gb sticks. Pricing varies dependent on mfr and vendor. Recommended online places would be Best Buy, New Egg, but using a Comparison Site such as ShopZilla is pretty helpful. As a rule, RAM pricing is based per gb, so it's a personal choice whether you want to get it in 1gb or 2gb sticks. Often there is no savings involved. reputable manufacturers are all over the place. Kingston, Corsair are the best known, but there are others out there, too.

I have XP Pro, use 2gb of Corsair RAM, A BFG Nvidia 8800GTS with 1gb GRAM and have no complaints.

There are plenty of good G-Cards out there (Nvidia- and ATI-based) for around 100.00 to 150.00 US that would work VERY well with IL-2.

Goggle away and have fun! :)
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Boardie

Post by :FI:Eagle » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:22 pm

I ended ordering from an online store called crucial. It was really cool because it scans your computer and guarantees compatibility. I ordered two 1 gig sticks to go in the two holes left. It should be arriving today. But if what you say is true about only being aloud to have 2 gigs I will be in trouble. By two gigs do you mean per memory channel. Mine is dual memory channel so I have to install two identical sticks each time.
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:32 pm

As long as your motherboard can handle it and the RAM is compatible you should be fine.

The complications come in whn you start talking about 32 or 64 bit operating systems. A 32 bit O/S isn't going to be able to access more than say 3Gb of Ram, 64 bit will read 8Mb no problem. You can put more than 3 Gb into a system running a 32 bit O/S and it will run fine- it just wont access more than 3 Gb
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

Boardie

Post by :FI:Eagle » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:44 pm

OK. I will be at the limit with the 3 gigs. Thanks for all the help.