E:mail woes

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

E:mail woes

Post by :FI:Nellip » Thu May 07, 2009 5:26 pm

:evil: Bl**dy MS Outlook :cry: :( :evil:

OE seems to have lost most of my email - cannot even recover from back up folders etc or my SATA drive.

Yes, I know its my own fault for using MS c**p - any ideas for:

a. new mail client
b. bright ideas to recover lost mail files?

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Olegs stalker

:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Re: E:mail woes

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu May 07, 2009 6:41 pm

Start using AOL! It works ggggrrrrreaaaanjjnsce nf848o4ofnwldd ....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Big savings on sheep p**n and Emron stock!

Your server has encountered a problem and will shut down. If you were working on anything, it is totally gone.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Mikester
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Mikester » Thu May 07, 2009 7:36 pm

Hi Neil

When you say most of your email, is it just your inbox or is it random bits and bobs? Did you maybe delete something by mistake?

I seem to remember a few years back, a school i worked in had this kinda issue but the inbox went walkabouts. Turns out when the inbox would reach a certain size it would create a new inbox.bdx file, Not saying this is what's happened but it's a possibility. Just check in the outlook folder(c:\prog files\outlook etc.) and see if you have 2 inbox.dbx files maybe one with a inbox.db~ or something. Anyhoo you would see a considerable size difference between them. (do a search)

If you have deleted these items you can maybe get some kind of recovery tool. Only issue here is the more mail or files you add onto the system the more likely they are to get overwritten, so be careful!

Outlook includes a feature called "auto archive" which will automatically move mail items older than a certain amount to an archive folder. Select the Tools menu, Options, Other, AutoArchive and check the settings displayed.

I would get a web based mail provider, hotmail or google mail small examples. At least this way the mail is stored on a server instead of your £40.00 hard drive!

GL

Few things to look at Neil

PS
:FI:Falcon wrote:Start using AOL! It works ggggrrrrreaaaanjjnsce nf848o4ofnwldd ....
ARSES ON-LINE ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Big savings on sheep p**n and Emron stock!

Your server has encountered a problem and will shut down. If you were working on anything, it is totally gone.
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Thu May 07, 2009 8:12 pm

:FI:Mikester wrote:Hi Neil

When you say most of your email, is it just your inbox or is it random bits and bobs? Did you maybe delete something by mistake?

Outlook includes a feature called "auto archive" which will automatically move mail items older than a certain amount to an archive folder. Select the Tools menu, Options, Other, AutoArchive and check the settings displayed.
Thanks Mike - Inbox is gone and the only backup in the OE folder is December 2008 so lost the last 5 months. Also missing are contents of some other mail folders I created to keep things seperate. OE was performing some sort of compression routine at the time and part way through the PC crashed - when I rebooted the mail was gone.

I run SATA mirror on two drives but that seems to have fallen over at some point last December - hence that is as far back as I can recover.

I don't have an "Other" tab on options (only using Outlook Express not Outlook) - so not sure if auto archive is relevant?
Olegs stalker

The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Mikester » Thu May 07, 2009 11:04 pm

Neil did you have a look for the inbox.dbx file? can you see if there is more than one but maybe with a slightly diff name?
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Fri May 08, 2009 9:55 am

Yes I did Mike - a couple of dbx called "copy Inbox 1" and "copy Inbox" but both are very small in size - no emails inside them.

I think I am screwed :(

For the future I think I'll switch to a new mail client - and get my SATA set up again!
Olegs stalker

The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Mikester » Fri May 08, 2009 11:46 am

yeah sry neil, it doesn't look too good m8.
:FI:Mefisto
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Mefisto » Fri May 08, 2009 11:03 pm

Hi,

Sometimes I used some other program that imports emails from oe.

This might be thunderbird or something.

Even if the database is corrupter it might get at least something of it...

What is the size of the inbox database file anyway?

And who introduced databes into email programs so users would lost the data with just one click?! ](*,)
:FI:Airway
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Airway » Sat May 09, 2009 8:54 am

In Thunderbird you can export and import mails, add-ons and setting with Mozbackup
Image ImageImage
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Fri May 22, 2009 2:00 am

F**k Outlook!!!!!

Use Thunderbird or its Eudora variant. NEVER had a problem!!!!
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Sun May 24, 2009 5:43 pm

You said it Dan

Installed Thunderbird a couple of weeks ago and all seems fine.

Think my PC problems were down to the sound card of all things - got a great deal of crashes and it was due to one of these that I lost my mail database, so not really Outlooks fault I guess. Since reinstalling the sound software everythings been fine - so fingers crossed
Olegs stalker

:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Tue May 26, 2009 5:58 am

If you continue having issues when you're operating at max, it could be your SC has been over-temping, too. We'll keep our fingies crossed for ya. :)

P.S. Lose Outlook anyway. :-8
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x