New computer thunks ...

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

New computer thunks ...

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:18 pm

Well, the Full Metal Ferret is over three years old. I may keep my females past their prime, but not my 'puters!

Oh gawd, don't tell her I said that.

Any who, starting early next year, like tomorrow, I'll start saving up for a new box ... a computer, I mean.

Here's kinna what I have so far ...

Cooler Master HAF 932 Case (large case, big fans ... not planning a sprinkler system)

MSI P45 Platinum motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8600
or
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 GHz
or the i7 stuff yet? Is the 920 worth a shot?

XFX GeForce 9800 GX2 gpu (I plan getting ONE GPU, maybe pair it up later)

~~~

I want some good stuff, but not bleeding edge stuff where the wallet bleeds more than the technology does, one or two levels down from that.

~~~

I'll probably keep my X-Fi sound card and two 74G Raptors, but everything else must go. In a few months, when this is built, I'll have a pair of still ok NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX's to give away and maybe more.

~~~

I know this is early but any input will be appreciated.

thx

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Re: New computer thunks ...

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:35 am

harumph! Just three years old? FFS tis boot a wee babee!!

I built this boat anchor in '02 and it is still plowing along. P4, AGP etc etc..

Got an unfinished pan head in the shop, stove is dying in the kitchen.. :roll: Guess I'll have to plod along.
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

:FI:Airway
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Airway » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:44 pm

Sounds great, Stu.

I have the 9800 GTX+ what quite rocks but the GX2 will be a blast I think.
And I have a slower CPU and running FSX at almost max settings (except ground traffic)

Il2 runs like hell with it.
Image ImageImage
:FI:Sacktime
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Sacktime » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:46 pm

Hey Stu

I'm looking at a
AMD 64 X2 +6000 Black Edition(3.0Ghtz)
XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+ Black Edition (always been a ATI guy but thought I'd jump ship to the competition
Mother Board (still looking for compatibility with the above)
Nuclear Reactor for a PSU (know where I might find one?)
2 X 20" monitors (yes I said two, I use two at work and now I can't imagine life with out 2 monitors) Flat screen of course, my 21" CRT at home is the same size as my snowmobile engine, I swear.
2 Gig of ram

My two HD are fine so I don't need to replace them, my DVD/CD burner is fine so I don't need to replace it.

Ah ya and the most kick butt case I can get. You know what I'm talking about with lots of fans blowing air all over ( This was apperantly a issue with my old case, lots of fans but not much room inside for efficent air flow).

If I didn't have to pay for real life stuff I'd go with a faster CPU and Vid card but I've been told I will be very happy with what was recommended. I could drop one of the monitors but I can't imagine life with out two monitors.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:10 pm

:FI:Sacktime wrote:Hey Stu

I'm looking at a ... Nuclear Reactor for a PSU (know where I might find one?)
~~~

I was told this in my Ubi thread in Community Help:

...and then go for one of the CORSAIR PSUs. If you go with the 1000HX modular it will be about $30.00 more than the combo.
HOwever, unless you are going to really load up that system with multiple video cards, and overclock the snot out of it, the 1000HX is overkill.

The 620HX will power any single GPU, and most SLI/Crossfire systems with no problem if there isn't a lot of overclocking going on, and will save you quite a few $$ which could be used for other 'goodies' for the new build.

If you would just 'feel a bit more secure' with a larger PSU, then the 750TX and the new 850TX would be good choices as well.

So far, I think I'll stay with a 1000W unit. I may go crazy later and buy two ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2's and overclocking may be an option.

Here are the most recent PSU's I'm considering:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cooler ... undup.html

http://www.overclockersonline.net/index ... 041&pnum=5

http://www.dvhardware.net/review119_silencer750.html

~~~

I like the CoolerMaster cases. There's a new one out that has even bigger fans:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811119187

~~~

I like NVidia, but when I had Radeons I liked them too. Hell, this is confusing. Motherboards can be a double-barrel bytch to choose especially.

~~~

I've heard good things about the 9800 GTX, my GeForce 7800 GTX's were great back in da day.

~~~

Yeah Willie, computers and underwear ... at least twice a decade. ;)

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
:FI:Airway
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Airway » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:49 pm

Very important to know that to the wattage (?) counts but the ampere on +3,3V; +5V and +12V

U could can have 12500 MegaWatt, but if you have insufficient Ampere on those lines the thing won't run your computer.

I myself have a 530W PSU even when 400 Watt would be enough to run my PC even with my videocard that has 2 PCI-E plugs.

Check here and calculate your PSU online:

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
(lite version)

I get 393 Watt there

The recommended total Power Supply Wattage gives you a general idea on what to look for BUT it is NOT a crucial factor in power supply selection! Total Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important, followed by the +5V amperage and then the +3.3V amperage.
Last edited by :FI:Airway on Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageImage
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:09 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote: So far, I think I'll stay with a 1000W unit....
Falcon
Good idea... least that way when flying, you'll be able to heat the whole house too ;)

G
I fear no beer

:FI:Sacktime
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Sacktime » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:44 pm

Good news for me.

I have been given the green light to purchase a new computer, since I've been doing alot of sucking up (come on guys you all suck up to the wife now and then) she has given me a $ figure to spend (why is it that I work and she controls the money, anyone figure that out yet?), and it is more than I estimated I would spend, so let the shopping spree comense!
:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:10 pm

try http://www.tomshardware.co.uk

I have some links just need to find them

don't forget to purchase as much memory as you can afford I would say min 2 GBs
Also a fast disk min 10,000rpm with a large capacity
I also normally split my disk in to three (if only one disk) with on partition for Windows normally 15GBs,

A second partition at least twice the size of the max memory I will have (I then point the window swap file to there)
and the last partition for program files i.e IL2, Open Office, data etc
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:43 pm

:FI:Sacktime wrote:(why is it that I work and she controls the money, anyone figure that out yet?), and it is more than I estimated I would spend, so let the shopping spree comense!
Same in my house - I occasionally sneak a bit of spend in if I can hoard some cash for a while but if its on plastic, no chance!

On the thought of PC I built mine about three months ago - so out of date already :lol:

Processor is an Intel Quad Core Q6600 with stock speed of 2.4GHz, but overclocks well.
Mobo was an Asus Striker Extreme - I would avoid this, it was a pain in the a..e to get working properly, but to be fair does work OK now.
Case was an Antec 900 - really good, great fans (and pretty LED's if you like that sort of thing)
Graphics I have just upgraded to a 9800GTX+ AMP, early days but happy so far. Mobo will take 2 of these beasts but don't see a need for that at the moment.
650W power supply will need beefing up if I fit another GPU.
Olegs stalker

Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:12 pm

Thanks for the help guys.

Moving on ...

well, I bought the Corsair 1000w psu, a passel of Antec fans and a Scythe fan controller to put in my giant Cosmos S.

Currently, a family of four is living in it until all the parts come in.

Holding off getting the mobo, gpu and HHD's for a mo, I'm looking for one or two cd/dvd/r/w/scribe/fornicate/whitewash/whatever drives. I had two kinna picked out before my old 'puter had a stroke, she's ok now but it got hairy there for a while, and I lost all my research ... such as it was.

It would be nice if I could get by with just one that did it all, but two's fine.

So, what's a good, cheapish ~or not~ drive that I can use to spin all my disks. It must be fast, well built, made from material that one day might be recyclable given advanced technology from the far future, not tested on too many animals and ... oh yeah ... the face plate's gotta look cool.

thanks for helping an old man 'cross the street

Falcon

:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:50 pm

Well the answer to this depends on how many shekels you have squirelled away :lol:

I have 2 x 250GB Seagate drives in a Raid 1 config so I save everything to both drives automatically. Given all the stuff you do with skins you might need bigger plates but that's a cheap option.

If money is no object you might want to consider one of the new solid state drives (all solid memory, no discs).
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prod ... z1p0s0n0m0
Pricey, but if you put your OS and often used programmes on to one of these babies your load times will be insignificant. You could still have a couple of traditional drives for all your music, pictures and Eileens stuff :lol:
Olegs stalker

Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:11 pm

Thanks Nell,

I was asking about optical CD/DVD drives, but I s'pose the Yorkie<->Coon-arse language gap got in the way.

That happens a lot ... it's almost always the other guy's fault.

;)

Anywho ... HD's are gonna wait a paycheck or two. It'll either be one 300GB Velociraptor (in RAID"please don't break!!!"), two 250 or 500GB WD Caviar Blacks (RAID0*), or one 1TB (sheesh!) WD Cav Blk.

Man, those SSD's are comin' down, but the brass/capacity count's still a wee bit off.

Fal "Barmpot" con

* Yeah, RAID1 sounds sensible, prudent, wise and safe, but ... what's that got to do with anything?