THE Confederate Airforce

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

THE Confederate Airforce

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:25 am

is now the COMMEMORATIVE Air Force... :roll:

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/ ... index.html

They still got some neat old iron. :D
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:05 am

A fantastic collection of beautiful aircraft!

But what dah heck is wrong with saying Confederate!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

thx W

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:10 pm

They changed the name a few years ago, I thought. The original name was meant as something of a joke. The story as I heard it was that a vintage P51 was being transferred though an airport in the south somewhere and was left on the tarmac overnight- at some point during the night some wag painted "Confederate Air Force" on the side, and the name was adopted by the organization.
The board decided to change the name to reflect what the organization actually did, without having to change the acronym CAF.
Although certain right wing commentators jumped on it at the time, the CAF has always denied that the name change had anything at all to do with appeasing anyone's hurt feelings.
Great link Willie! Some really nice photos in there- should make good wallpaper.
I think it's interesting that the original P51 featured in the first photo seems to be painted in the colors of the 332nd (Tuskegee Airmen). Ironic given the CAF's "old" name.
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
:FI:Ghost
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Ghost » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:24 pm

Beautiful collection in deed..
*Bury me at sea where no murdered ghosts can haunt me, if I rock upon the waves then no corpse can lay upon me*