Need some help from you wise fellows...

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Need some help from you wise fellows...

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:24 pm

I have been considering upgrading my joystick for some time now. I thought, briefly, about the Thrustmaster Cougar then came to my senses. Now, I'm considering the X52, as it's very similar to my X45 with a few extra bells and whistles.

I have a, tempermental but working, stick right now. Should I hold off on the stick/throttle "upgrade" and invest in some pedals instead?

Other than immersion level, do pedals offer any major advantage?

To anyone who has the X52, is it a good stick? It does seem to be better constructed than my X45.

I know it's my money and, ultimately, my choice but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Sna"all cornfuzzled again"phoo
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:07 pm

Here's my vote:

da FORCE

It's like collecting coins, the value keeps going up.

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:22 pm

Great stick Falcon, thats what I had until my wife poured her cup of coffee over it and the FF stopped working :evil: :evil: :evil:

Good job I love her - divorces have happened for less :lol:

I am now using an X45 which is OK. I have seen the X52 and it looks pretty good value and a robust but I would really like another MSFFB2 and I am scouring e-bay for them - I paid £60 for a new one four years ago and they now fetch £100 plus second hand!!!
Olegs stalker

Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:20 pm

Ohhhh ...

THAT'S what caused the heart attack!

I understand fully now.

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:56 pm

Hey, Falky I got one of those! Force Feedback set on high feels like an earthquake! :lol:
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:42 am

I'm a CH man myself- stick and pedals, and I'm seriously thinking of ordering the throttle soon.
Since you asked, I'd recommend a stick/pedals combo over stick/throttle if I could only afford to get two of the three.
If you have trackIr you can set up a LOT of button combinations with the CH F16 Fighterstick since you won't be needing the hat for looking around.
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
Deathsledge
The Unforseeable

Post by Deathsledge » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:14 am

i purchased the X52 several months ago and i must say, its a really nice system. endless controller configurations. ;)
There are two things that are infinite in life, human stupidity and the universe, and I'm not too sure about the universe. Albert Einstein
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Tip:

Post by :FI:Heloego » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:32 am

If you get the X-52 I recommend not running the Saitek configuration utility in the background. It hogs a lot of resources.
Do all configuration in the IL-2 Controls section. Does the same job, but reduces the overhead.

That said, if you can get afford a throttle/stick/pedals combo (CH) go for it.
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:44 am

I dont know a lot about the X52 but from what I have read instead of the rocker switch for rudder control like the X45 it has a twist action. Years ago I had a Cyborg 3D with the same function and that was the only thing about it I didn't like. I think you can disable it on the X52 (correct me if Im wrong fellas) but you lose the function.

As for Ruddder pedals I have some CH pro's and they are a good solid bit of kit. I found that the longer I had them tthe more I used them and now If they went kaboom I would have to replace them. They really come into their own for landing (especially carriers). If I were in the market for replacements I would probably look at the new Saiteks- not because the Ch's aren't good its just that the only criticism I do have is that the pedals are too close together and on the Saiteks they are more apart.

Personally if it were my X45 and it was still going I would look at the pedals rather than a replacement.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:31 am

Got X52 - and I really like it.

M
ImageImageImage
Baderslegs
Postmaster

Post by Baderslegs » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:57 pm

I purchased a set of CH pedals around 6 weeks back.

Big, big, big difference to the control you have. I was using the twist axis of the MSFFB2 for the rudder up till then. Pedals win hands down. They take a wee bit of getting used to at first but once you do, you'll notice a big difference in how your plane handles. You have much better control for take offs, landings and believe it or not aiming at your target.

I recommend you go for the pedals but be prepared to have a bit of a learning curve.

I downloaded a profile from CH hanger that emmulates differential braking using the CMS software and that definately helped with take offs. Before that I had a bad habit of leaving the runway sideways not at the end where I should have left it. Landings are much easier and more precise with the pedals.

If you have other CH stuff you can do some really great things with the programming software.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!
Originality and strangeness are good,
blind conformity and stupidity are unforgivable.

He who asks is a fool for five minutes but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

:FI:Baderslegs
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:58 am

Six weeks ago Baders?

So you're still in the

"Gah! My twisty stick isn't moving the rud ... oh ... pedals, right." stage?

F

:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 am

Not really the original question, but I would certainly agree wholeheartly with some lads. I was a longtime MS Sidewinder user, loved the forcefeedback and quality precision. That stick was a truly "before its time" product. And Microsoft made it - go figure, eh? :shock:

Last year I picked up the CH Fighterstick, Throttle and Pedals and have never looked back. Sure it took some time. Man I couldn't even land for the longest while. ](*,) Probably didn't even touch the rudder for some time as I kept forgetting to use my feet. But the control and immersion are top-notch. Energy fighting is a lot easier, and the many buttons provides very quick access to all the controls one needs in this game. As Rab suggested to me at the time, it is a great investment to a hobby I will hopefully enjoy for many years to come.

TS!
:FI:Gadje
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:29 pm

X52 is much more solidly built than the X45, I have used both. The throttle is particularily good with several rotaries which you can use for trim/flaps etc. I use the X52 throttle with a CH stick which is a little more accurate I think than the Saitek one. Not much in it though and the X52 is a real good bargain, decent stick and great throttle.
Add a pair of pedals at a later date and you would have an excellent flight control system for not too much cash.(you can lock the twist rudder function on the X52 stick)

If money is no problem then CH all round but not much in it IMHO.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:56 pm

Even home made pedals are better than a twist stick imo.

Also I'd recommend "Joycontrol.exe" whatever you're using.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)