General Advice on Tweaking

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

General Advice on Tweaking

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:29 pm

I recently was discussing with a lad about improving fps. While I am well aware of my limited knowledge in light of certain folks amongst us, I thought some might find it useful (though I'm sure most are well aware of all this stuff).

---

"Your CPU is a bit weak so just make sure you run minimal OS processes/programs. I will continue to tweak DCG missions so hopefully everyone enjoys them (there are other mates with CPUs below 3 GHz). Bottom line is you should (and have I trust) be able to get good fps in Historic Encounters, just pointing out the opportunity for even higher fps.

In the end tweaking is very subjective. While we all want 100 fps with everything maxed, only the rich can pay for such entitlements. For me there doesn't appear to really be any difference playing on Excellent or Perfect, so I obviously play on Perfect only using Water=1. This tells me that my CPU is the limiting factor. I shoot for @60 fps when there is no action and I'm about 2,000-3,000 metres in the air. Some folks are happy with 30-40 fps. Again it is personal choice, especially with regards to what one is willing to sacrifice.

If interested in tweaking, I would do some surfing, but in the end you must determine what YOUR machine can accomplish. Here is a suggested course of action if you would like to explore this a bit further.

IL-2 Game:

- Start by selecting all the defaults/appropriate video and sound options. Then select your in-game options (i.e., Excellent, High, etc). Suggest you unselect the opening video that plays and any in-game music.

- Then play the "Black Death" track for 1 minute (pause right at the beginning and enable the game's fps counter or use FRAPS). Record the average fps after 1:00. That's your benchmark.

- Now in your config file for IL-2 make sure your using old cloud type (though this automatically happens when you join H.E. since I select this option - this gives about 10 fps if you don't mind losing the fluffy clouds), and no gunners. I don't believe the OpenGL settings for trees and water should matter in Excellent, but to be sure make Water=1 and Trees=2 (or 1). I don't believe there is anything else in the game config file to consider. Just make sure Skin Downloads is off.

- Now after doing some research/Goggling, hopefully you have some ATI information. By going into the ATI panel and creating a profile for IL-2, you can now specify exactly how your video card will play this game. I use low AA, no AF, Vsync, Triple Buffering. Again I'm confident you will find advice online.

- You will also be given further advice on how to tweak the IL-2 video settings a bit further. This is done by selecting "Custom" in the video panel.

- Your sound settings are also relevant. Even with a dedicated sound card, everything must go through our CPU (video, sound, everything), so by reducing the sound demands this helps a little. This is where I would first go back and replay the "Black Death" track for 1:00 and compare the average fps first. See where you are now. Then lower the sound settings (maybe 16 channels, 22XXX, no hardware acceleration, etc). Does it still sound good? Play the "Black Death" again. Is the cost worth it in fps? Subjective call here.

Outside of the Game:

- As previously mentioned you should consider ways of reducing your OS overhead. Have you ever disabled OS services? If not take the time to carefully disable all unnecessary services. There are a number of good sites with suggestions. I would also suggest disabling unnecessary services such as Indexing, Restore, and perhaps try using minimal interface.

-Also, try ensuring there is no unnecessary programs running when playing. Btw we will not be using HyperLobby this week (or future sessions). Some of the lads had issues with it last session. Sneaky told us that its chat utility uses a fair amount of the CPU when in the background. Things like this might be helpful.

Anyway, I realize you are very busy. Just a bunch of things to think about. Print this post off and consider tackling these things here and there as time allows. Keep writing down your fps by playing the "Black Death" track as your benchmark. Without doing so you won't really know if you are making progress.

In the end you should be striving to have stable fps and a quality gaming experience. In the meantime I will try as host to do what I can on my end to help folks out."

Regards,
TS!
Last edited by :FI:TacticalS! on Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:47 pm

:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:01 pm

Take nipple gently between forefinger and thumb. Bring forefinger and thumb together in a sharp pincer like movement.

...try not to twist/rotate wrist whilst carrying out this action.

G
I fear no beer

:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:05 am

:FI:Gurberly wrote:Take nipple gently between forefinger and thumb. Bring forefinger and thumb together in a sharp pincer like movement.

G
It did improve my fps.

:oops:
ImageImageImage
L.F
Forum Junky

Post by L.F » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:45 am

:lol:
Og det er det stora,
og det er det glupa,
at Merket det stend,
um Mannen han stupa.
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:30 am

I got a slap.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

:FI:McBiggles
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:McBiggles » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:30 pm

I can't let go. Or leave the house...
Being Irish, he had an abiding sence of tragedy, which sustained him, through temporary periods of joy.
W.B. Yeats
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:41 pm

Take nipple gently between forefinger and thumb. Bring forefinger and thumb together in a sharp pincer like movement.

G
Did increase my heart rate. Now if only she'd quit telling me it's my baby.... :lol:

Altar-Goin' for a Paternity Test_Boy.
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!