FI Squadron paint scheme

Painters and skinners. Somewhere to show off skins and look for artistic inspiration.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:46 pm

Guess that means distributing the Template files with default "Text layers"
for numbers, name, and noseart. Also the "official Fonts" and rgb values for lettering.

Filename conventions too

e.g. as previously used:-

"La5_IAC.bmp" (default), "La5_Notr.bmp" (Noter) etc.

Include a paint scheme code too.
(Hell we'll be stamping vin numbers in the cock pit next :roll: )

Aircraft_ | Colour scheme_ |Pilot.bmp

La5_ IrG_ Snky.bmp "La5_IrG_snky.bmp"

and so on....
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:53 pm

This is true. Though perhaps we should call them by number, to keep it shorter and more legible when in the game menus.

Example: FI_08_P40B.bmp and FI_15_P47.bmp

If there's more than one version of a particular skin available (though I would suggest and hope that we would settle on one for now) then we could do something like this:

FI_08_LA5_winter.bmp and FI_14_109F2_dessert.bmp

It will do two things if we name them that way. One, it should keep the skins in order, making it easier for you to find your own plane. And B, should keep everything simple when adding a new skin later down the road.
Last edited by :FI:Snaphoo on Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:26 pm

Jeez!

Ya leave to go take a dump and come back to see this?

Cool!

~~~
Ok, so where are we with this...are we ready to make it happen.

I SAID we should wait a week to start looking organized!

but I agree, good thunkin' all!
select 10-15 planes we tend to fly consistantly. Do a green scheme and an aluminum if applicable. I say we worry about desert and winter after we see how this first round goes
So, you want to do the green stuff?

Is this the first thing we should bring to the membership for a vote?

If it passes muster, we should make a green skin with just roundels and stripes for the most-used ac. We give every active member (thanks Tac) one unmarked green skin for these ac, get the system up and running and then update the file with completed personalized skins as they become available.
Maybe Falcon has most skins done (I think he's skinned nearly everyplane in the library) and we could divy up adding numbers and nose art to some of us other skinners. If we have a template of where the numbers should go and what font to use, try and keep some consistancy. Or divy up doing the skins for what Falcon hasn't done.
I've done a lot of them, but there are lots more to do, but I don't wanna get all pushy with those IreGreen skins I've done. I have a P-38 too that I like. I can do the metal skins. They're hard to do, but I have a consistant method to make them look similar. If anyone has a better metal technique or example, speak up!

Snaphoo, Noter, (anyone else?); here's an idea ...

Each of you pick 3-5 planes you reeeeally want to do. Pick them based on your preference, what's out there already and what needs to be done first, (Pacific ac, Russian).

then, we compare the (3?) lists and each of us pick from that so there will be no duplications and everyone gets to do as many favorite ac as possible. Make any sense?
Now...who will get a skin, there are lots more members than there are guys who actually fly. What, 80 something members times 15 starter skins is Think 1200 skins Shock Confused ...huh...Falcon...Snap...you guys got this right.

Do we start a list and guys sign up, we use an honor system that if you know you don't fly online don't sign up or if you do sign up your skin may take a while...dunno...just thinking it out.
Yeah, let's take another look at Tac's list and the membership roster and make skins for those guys.

Every active pilot gets the unmarked green skin for each ac.

That's only 15 - 20 skins sent to all. No problem.

35+ active pilots multiplied by about 15 US and Russian ac (initially) equals only (gag) 525+ skins when we start customizing.
(a) Will there be a generic skin for each plane for newcomers until they join the Squadron?
Pilots w/o personalized skins can default to an IL2 default skin or our IreGreen unmarked default ... right?
Are we completely done figuring out what skins we want?
You wanna put the green design up for a yes-no poll or do you want to wait and see if there are other designs that might be seeping into the cracks or haven't been posted yet?
(c) Whoever zips these skins ought to have it so it can unzip into the individual directories automatically.
I have NO idea how to do this, volunteers?
We could each grab one skin and each do one a month/week or so... 3 or 4 planes a month ...
I could do more than that ... probably. I don't have a life.

~sigh~
My question is, how do we prioritize the planes to get the most used planes out first? Spitfire? P-51? 109? IL-2?
Let's do a vote from the membership, meanwhile, each skinner make a list of 3 to 10 ac that you really want to do taking into consideration what is need first. Don't let the fact that another skinner has picked your fav plane as their favorite. We'll do the best we can to even things out.
Falcon what skins are you comfortable with us trying this out on...let's do 3-5 and divy up the numbering stuff between you me and Snap, and any others who can/would like to help feel free. The numbers stuff is kinda quick.
The pacific stuff first:

wildcat
hellcat
corsair
SBD
P-47

Strangelove's Russian thingie:
still waiting on a list

yaks
la's
lags
Pe-2
Il2

What else need first?

~~~

I will also write up a list of templates that I have made that are average to pretty good. I can make these available. I also have overlays that can help with textures and help make all ac have a similar shade of green, etc.

Or, send your templates to me and I can add overlays to make them similar.

I gotta go ... let's make the lists and someone think up a poll and we'll ...

Get'er done!

Bunifa Latifa Halifa Sharifa Falcon
Last edited by :FI:Falcon on Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:44 pm

Where I got the Irish green scheme ...

and other sources.

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
Post Maniac General

Zip folders

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:51 pm

Quote:
(c) Whoever zips these skins ought to have it so it can unzip into the individual directories automatically.

I have NO idea how to do this, volunteers?
Create a New Folder called "Paint Schemes" outside of IL2 . Create "Skins " folder within and add to that the named aircraft folders.

Just zip when planes are finished . This can be unzipped direct to IL2 folder to merge with existing files, or to another location for swapping out.
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:11 pm

I say we go with the green/aluminum, but a vote would be more democratic.

Falcon, show us all the green skins you've completed, and anyone else for that matter. Hell we could probably have ten done by this weekend if we just use what you've got already.

I'm no good with the metal, I just take someone elses skin and manipulate it to make it FI.

I'll work on the Corsair and Hellcat with the green (like Falcon said anyone else is free to do the same, Snap your Hellcat was sweet looking). I just have 15 or so customized with names and such already done and will just have to add the green.

Falcon...I will gladly take one of those green overlays you were talking about...please sir.

Noter
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:37 pm

Actually, if we name the Zip file whatever the plane folder is called in Forgotten battles, shouldn't most people here be able to find the plane/variant folder and put the zip file in it and unzip in there?

Example: P47-22.zip or Bf109-G6.zip

Making it "easy" for those who know how to operate winzip, or Rar to locate the proper folder on their own. I just think if we add the folder tree for them, we're going to run into trouble from people who might not have their game loaded on a C:\ drive. Or further problems with those who might find the wrong folder to start the unzip process. Alternatively, if we have a Winzip wizard, perhaps he could "package" the files as they should be for us, then distribute them with the appropriate readme information.

Just a thought or two...

As far as the color scheme goes, I'm up for whatever. If I can help I will. Just let me know how I can best help.

Though, for the sake of uniformity, I think one person should be in charge of one plane rather than 3 or 4 people on the same plane.

I've got a Hellcat in EireGreen, if you'd like to focus on the Corsairs Noter... But which ever is good...

Are we assigning or just going and seeing what we have done by the weekend?

Sna"confussed"phoo
You've got red on you.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:55 pm

Though, for the sake of uniformity, I think one person should be in charge of one plane rather than 3 or 4 people on the same plane.

I've got a Hellcat in EireGreen, if you'd like to focus on the Corsairs Noter... But which ever is good...
I think the thought was for us to work on what interested us and then let the squad decide from there if there were multiples of one specific plane. I checked out your Hellcat again, and I'm not going to do anything better or much different, so I won't bother with that. Hell, Falcon's got a nice Corsair too, mine just has a bit more wear is all and the custom Jolly Rogers stuff. I may I'll submit it and see what others think I guess.

How might that work, say I want to add that customization to my skin. How could we do it so not everyone d/l's the skin pack. I tweak mine...everyone has to redownload the skin pack? The skin pack is done, those that wish to alter their skin have one or two days to get it back to Falcon before squad distribution. Feels like I'm throwing a big wrench in the works tyring to personalize my personalized skin.

Noter
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:08 pm

quick thought ...

two skin packs ...

1) just the unmarked default IreGreen skins

2) personalized skins

that's just for organizational purposes

then, on a monthly or seasonal or yearly basis we have squadron-wide revisions that are well publisized.

and no tweeking!

F

Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:36 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote:quick thought ...

two skin packs ...

1) just the unmarked default IreGreen skins

2) personalized skins

that's just for organizational purposes

Yes... I like this plan. But I think given that we're sending out 80+ skins per plane, possibly, we might want to consider making those two divisions on a per plane basis. Just a thought. Seems a bit lopsided to have a zip with 85 X15 (in the neighborhood of 1275) skins and then another with just 15 generic skins in it...
then, on a monthly or seasonal or yearly basis we have squadron-wide revisions that are well publisized.
sounds good...
and no tweeking!

F
Right on!

I guess... I mean I don't know... I'm no expert in this thing... I'm just an I.T. guy who likes to skin planes and then fly them...

<shrug>

I think the thought was for us to work on what interested us and then let the squad decide from there if there were multiples of one specific plane.
OK sounds good.

Snaphoo...
Last edited by :FI:Snaphoo on Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You've got red on you.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:41 pm

Oh, you can tweek a copy of a skin, but then send it to the update police, don't just slip it in your folder.

Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:47 pm

Oh, you can tweek a copy of a skin, but then send it to the update police, don't just slip it in your folder.
Oh yeah, that's what I was refering too. Even if you put it in your own folder and it had the same name I don't think it would matter, you would be the only one seeing the tweaks, everyone else would see the original skin. But, I want everyone else to see my tweaks too, or their's whatever the case may be :D

Noter
Post Maniac General

found a metal template to play with

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:23 pm

Post Maniac General

Winter P39's

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:32 am

Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:02 pm

Nice Sneak!

Just a thing though... Left wing roundel is upside down on the P-39... Just so's ya know... :D

And it seems to be upside down again on the fuselage of the Me262 :D

Large part of the green "drop" should be on top...

^:)

Well done overall though m8!
You've got red on you.