CH Profile Help Please

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Dr_Strangelove
Forum Junky

CH Profile Help Please

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:51 pm

Hello Gents,

I could really use some help setting up this gear I just purchased to work with IL2.

I tried looking around a bit but could not find a "Profiles for Dummies" guide anywhere. Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Also, do I need to have the CM loaded and running in order for profiles to work like with my old Logitech stuff?

Thanks for any help,

-Dr Strangelove
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

See Tacticals post here

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:21 pm

:FI:Blue2
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Blue2 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:33 pm

Hi Doc,
I'm one of the new guys here... been enjoying HE with Tactical & others here for about a month now.
Anyway I fly with CH gear, and no, you don't have to have CM running when you fly. The flow is: Get CM running, open the map you want to use for IL-2 (or whatever you're playing), download it, and you're ready to go. Since the map is now "resident," you can close CM & free up RAM for something more useful.
I suggest you post exactly which CH products you're using. Tactical or I or someone else may be able to get you a map right away if your setup matches one of ours. If not, we can still send you maps - you'll just have to make some modifications. You'll be "tweaking" your map for a while anyway until you find a setup you really like. There are also some sites I can send you to where you can download other maps.
CH does take some real work, but to me it's been well worth the effort. Hang in there & good luck!
S!
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:51 pm

Hi Blue2,

Thanks for the response.

I have the Fighterstick/Throttle/Pedal combo going at the moment.
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Blue2 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:52 am

If all of them are USB, then I'm pretty sure that is the exact combination that Tactical recently bought. You might want to PM or email him directly if you'd like an example map.
I have the CombatStick 568 which is very similar but has a few less button combinations & no mode selection on it. Otherwise my combo is the same as yours & I'll be happy to share maps.
Feel free to PM or email me with any questions... although I can't promise right answers all the time! :lol: I'm no expert but I have learned a few things. Here's a site you should know about... been very helpful for me:

http://www.ch-hangar.com/

The forum there is where you'll find the real experts.
cheers!
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:25 am

Great call on that site, I am reading all about the Mapping now.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:22 pm

Do you want me to e-mail you my setup Doc? Something to get you started with anyway. If you do want them I would suggest putting all the X & Y Axis settings to 100% in the game itself. I make further adjustments from within the program. PM me your e-mail mate if interested. It comes with a script for toe brakes.

TS!
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:35 am

Tac, have you run across a profile for just the stick and pedals? I just ordered the USB Pro Pedals to go with the Fighterstick but I don't own the throttle. All the profiles at CH Hangar seem to include the throttle.
I'd like to get the differential toes brakes working, I understand some profiles have a setup for this in IL2PF.
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:21 am

Really? Thought there were some. Personally I have all three and my profile really would require more tweaking then it is worth.

TS!
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:46 am

Once I figured out how it all works, it was pretty easy to create my own profile from scratch. All I really needed to see was how someone else set it up themselves.

The Control Manager is really one heck of a program to use.
Forum Junky

Glad you got it working, Doc.

Post by :FI:Blue2 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:32 pm

Yeah, it's very powerful - and handy too. I finally got a command file done a couple of months ago, and that REALLY simplifies things if you want to quickly set up profiles for more than one sim. (Now if only I had the TIME for > 1 sim!)

Murph,
Congrats on the new purchases. If you're right about the differential toe brakes, that's a new one on me. Please let us know if it turns out to be true... would love to learn how to set it up if so. Worked great on other sims as I recall.
As for profiles without the throttle, I haven't seen many (if any) on CH Hangar or anywhere else. But, I would still START with a profile that has the throttle. From there you'll just have to prioritize what commands are most important to have on your stick, and move them around as needed. That'll force you to learn about the Control Manager GUI some, which is a good thing.
I'll help you out & I'm sure Tac & Dr S. will echo that, so just post or PM if you need any pointers & we'll answer or meet you on TS as required.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:53 am

I already have a map made up for my stick, and I agree, the program is great one you start to get the hang of it.
I thought the profile you mentioned enabled differential toes brakes.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:47 pm

Yes Murph. It is done through a script. I will e-mail it to you mate (my whole profile).

TS!
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:15 am

Thanks for the profile Tact- I opened it and deleted the throttle, then reassigned the keys to what I am currently used to.
How should I have my axis' set up in-game (control sensitivities etc.)?
What control assignments should I be using in the game's control interface- HOTAS?
The differential braking does'nt seem to be working.
Will you be around tommorrow night? Maybe I could just ask on TS.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:00 pm

:FI:Murph wrote:Thanks for the profile Tact- I opened it and deleted the throttle, then reassigned the keys to what I am currently used to.
How should I have my axis' set up in-game (control sensitivities etc.)?
What control assignments should I be using in the game's control interface- HOTAS?
The differential braking doesnt seem to be working.
Will you be around tomorrow night? Maybe I could just ask on TS.
I leave my IL-2 joystick settings all at 100% across the board for both axis. In my profile I have a curve for them with regards to sensitivity. Still need to adjust my rudder as it is too touchy in flight.

I think the first time I used the toe brake, though I still prefer a button, I needed to activate them before flight. Go into the game, hit your controls, go to the bottom where your axis controls are, select (what? Z axis right?) and press the toe brake. That should get you started. I haven't had to mess with it since. Mind you before playing the game I execute the CH startup program that downloads my maps into my USB devices, then exits.

TS!