new communication proggy...

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Beowolff
Postmaster

new communication proggy...

Post by Beowolff » Mon May 01, 2006 1:44 am

a friend just turned me on to Skype... a fairly new communication proggy... actually a sort of internet phone proggy...

i'm impressed! so far (only had it a short while) it has performed flawlessly in my limited tests. the comm appears to be completely distortion clear... very slick... as do the vid communications i tried. smooth...no static or interruptions.

also has the usual text box type if needed.

it can also actually be used to make regular phone and cell phone calls directly to anyone anywhere...but that part if payware. the comm itself is FREEWARE! no spyware, no popups, no ads, nada!

now it might not be cool for comm-like radio communication between fighter planes such as IL2 or the like, as usually people in flight sims are trying for real life atmosphere (Skype is too much like a regular phone to sound like air to air comms between fighter craft) but for BS-ing between pals or especially for ground combat between squad mates.... Skype is ideal because with everyone in the squad on a conference type Skype call...its just like EVERYONE is in the same room and all talking together as one! cool as hell!

in such a situation, everyone is TOGETHER on one line exactly like a conference phone call and can speak, interrupt, comment, snore, whatever... exactly the same and all is heard by everyone in on the call.

this could be fantastic for ground or land combat sorties between squadmates.

also, there are links that can be put on home or squad pages that shows who online and who is not at any given time... cool.

and again, during my testing...this proggy was CRYSTAL CLEAR... and supposedly does not hog bandwith or cpu power. (i'm not completely sure about that yet...no test on that...)

anyone interested, can go here to download it.

http://www.skype.com/download/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if anyone tries it out, give me a yell under the Beowolff29 call sign.

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Mon May 01, 2006 2:09 am

well, i just saw one small problem for squad useage... you can only do up to five people (four plus the host) for the conference calls. hmmmm... still, five on a squad isn't to shabby. if ten people are playing say COD and five on one squad and five on another, it would still work and be cool as hell.

anyone else?

Beo
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon May 01, 2006 4:08 am

Had Skype on my PC for ages and only ever made a test call, seems the people I know are reluctant to give up their telephones. I never really tjought of it in terms of games comms, but your idea wins hands down over TS for ground combat with the conference call. Nice 1

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)