Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:51 pm

The one game to rule them all Falcon?

I don't fancy myself as a RPG gamer, and it took me a while to realize my son and daughter certainly are though - Sims series and Runescape (online).

But here comes a game that certainly looks too good to be true, and maybe that's the first warning signal? Could pick it up for the PC, and after hours of tweaking make it run adequately (at best) on my PC (don't have a Falcon system ;) ), or we could get the evil Xbox 360 version and enjoy watching it on our
34-inch HDTV with surround sound. =P~

The graphics are sick (that means very good BTW)! :shock:

-----
Live Another Life in Another World. Create and play any character you can imagine, from the noble warrior to the sinister assassin to the wizened sorcerer.
Next-Generation Graphics. Pixel-shader effects and high definition televisions are fully supported to create unprecedented visuals, including lifelike towns, dungeons, and the most realistic forests ever created in a game.
First-Person Melee and Magic. An all-new combat and magic system brings first person role-playing to a new level of intensity where you feel every blow.
Radiant AI. This groundbreaking AI system gives Oblivion's characters full 24/7 schedules and the ability to make their own choices based on the world around them. Non-player characters eat, sleep, and complete goals all on their own.
Realistic Characters. Oblivion's features over 1,000 non-player characters who come to life like never before with facial animations, lip-synching, and full speech. They even engage in unscripted conversations with each other and you.
Open-Ended Game Play; Short Challenges. The enormous world of Oblivion is open for you to explore at your own pace, and shorter challenges such as fighting bandits, mixing potions, creating magic items and persuading friends keep the challenges coming.
-----

For me it's the complete open game play in an amazing 16-square mile fully-functioning virtual world.

Dad is quite busy with flying airplanes on Friday nights, but I can see adding this little gem into my gaming diet for the rest of the week. :o

So that will be Rome: Total War (Barbarian Invasion), finish off my NHL2K6 Hockey season/playoffs and jump into NBA2K6. Of course I might replay Call of Duty 2 (Xbox 360) on Veteran.

Anyway I have my poor son so juiced up on this RPG crap that he can't think straight. What?! This game isn't for me. It will probably be an Easter present for my son. I don't have time for silly games. :roll:

So I say to the wee lad last night, as I tortured him yet again by previewing some of the videos over at IGN, "My dearest son Matthew, at your very young, impressionable age I fear this particular game would just completely ruin your life."

"But Dad can't we get it?" he quickly replies in a desperate voice.

"My son, my son, as your loving Father I cannot possibly inflict you with such a game, it will certainly wreck your schooling, social development, and our precious family time. No sir, won't do that until I have read some user reviews to make sure it works properly on the Xbox 360!" :badgrin: Bring it on baby!

Of course the lad also has his eyes on that new Star Wars RTS (hearing mixed reviews) and the sequel to The Battle for Middle Earth II (hearing very good reviews for that one).

Tact - "beholding the one game that will rule them all?" - S!
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:56 pm

Looks great :). I like RPGs but I never seem to have the time to complete them (in a relatively short period of time). The only two RPGs I ever finished where: Dark Queen of Krynn (first game I ever purchased):

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=4730" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And World of Xeen: http://www.geocities.com/ataniel/xeenreview.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both where a lot of fun :). But I'm afraid to even try one today since I know how much time I can spend on it lol

s!
Snoop
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:47 am

I spoke to Helo about this game last week.

Yes Tac, keep this away from all children who may need little things like fresh air and education.

In the last few months I've played Morrowind three ~half~ times and finally commited to it on the fourth time. Being totally bummed by the I-16 skin and knowing that spring cleaning and yard work will switch into full gear next ... uh last week, I hurried up and killed the bad guy last week. Helo mentioned the two official mods to Morrowind, "Tribunal" and "BloodMoon". I told him it was too bad I didn't have those, only the "Gold Edition".

"Gold Edition?" ... of a three year-old game? gak! THAT was what those two extra CDs are in the jewel case!

So the grass is growin' and the dirt sits securely in its many cracks and cranies around the Falcon estate knowing that I'm playing "Elder Scrolls: Tribunal".

IL-2, COD2 and the current best RPG are the only games usually on my HD.

Fal "Honey, I lost the lawn mower in the back yard weeds" con
Last edited by :FI:Falcon on Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:05 am

PS: Tac ...

Get the PC version. The player-submitted mods are always worth it.

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:30 am

:FI:Falcon wrote:PS: Tac ...

Get the PC version. The player-submitted mods are always worth it.

F
So are YOU getting this game? Your response lacks its usual clarity. :D

OK still planning to get the Xbox 360 version. Not only for the reason stated above, but also because:

(a) There will be additional content made available via Xbox Live (but the editor of course won't work on the console);

(b) It will hopefully keep my kids on the console so I can have more access to the computer [insert evil laughter]; and

(c) As mentioned, how could I not want to play this on the big (well bigger) screen with surround sound? The Dell just can't compare. The kids just wished it was playable online.

TS!
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:24 am

Clarity?

Me?

<gonna need to stop that rummor>

anyway ...

I mentioned in another thread that it may be hard to find me come March 21st or so ...

I've had it (Oblivion) ordered from GameSpot since January.

F

Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:04 pm

Must have missed that thread. [whispers "Addict!"] :D

IGN has decent coverage of the game. Both in its PC and 360 areas.

Regards,
TS!
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Anyone...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:10 am

...who plays Morrowind (and Add-ons) wishes it had an on-line mode!!!!!!!

The only fault I found with the game was some of the voices a re a bit hokey.

That's it.

Morrowind kicks arse!!! :D
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:10 pm

My links have been blocked. :( Guess that's what I get for being lazy and linking directly from their site. ;)

You played Morrowind, eh Helo? You don't strike me as a RPG fellow. Cool! Never played any from this series, but looking forward to this game. They say all the issues with Morrowind have been addressed. They even have "Captain Jean Luc Picard" lending his voice to the game. Apparently half the DVD is just the voices to the game. :shock:
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:36 pm

...Morrowind (and Add-ons) wishes it had an on-line mode!!!!!!!
That is precisely the reason why I haven't bought Morrowind to this point. And probably why I will not buy Morrowind in the future...

It looks great, but without an online/multiplayer mode (co-op preferred), I don't see the point in playing. I will keep an eye on this one, as I have the other Morrowind project, I might even try it when it comes to the bargain bin.

The only non-online RPG that I've played to date and had any fun at all was KOTOR... And I got bored with that when I went to play it a second time.

*shrug* I guess I just have a short attention spa... ooh shiny!
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:53 pm

RPG is perfect for online play. I suspect this series will eventually allow for this mode of play. I guess that's why the AI is being developed to such a complex manner, as they know gamers want to interact with NPCs not just see scripted responses.

There is talk about a future add on being COOP, but that's just talk amongst the community at this point.

TS!
Last edited by :FI:TacticalS! on Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:41 pm

Well, I'm on the edge of preordering the original american collectors version of Oblivion. I have TESIII and I can only agree wityh what Unka Helo said - Morrowind kicks arses. Xbox version will be much much poorer compared to the PC version...no The Elder Scrolls Construction Set.Probably theXbox live content will not be the same. :( And this is what makes the game TESIII so alive even nowadays. I just have installed Morrowind with Tribunal and Bloodmoon addons, I think this time it is time to be a sorcerer.......where is my fireball?.....

I would love to see TES V as an online game with wonderful performance, lots of NPCs , not only player characters, lots of quest, evolving community and enviroment. But I believe that Elder Scrolls complexity makes it a bit hard to create a good MMO RPG title with the limitations of contemporary PCs.

hmmm...yes, I will preorder it , I think......

Rockville, MD - March 2, 2006 - Bethesda Softworks® and 2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), today announced that the highly-anticipated role-playing game, The Elder Scrolls® IV: Oblivionâ„¢ has gone to gold master and will be available in stores in North America and Europe during the week of March 20. Oblivion will be available for Xbox 360â„¢ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PC in both regular and collector's editions.

"Our most ambitious project ever is finally done," said Todd Howard, executive producer of Oblivion. "We're excited to get the game into everyone's hands and let them experience it for themselves. We hope they enjoy it. I think it's our best game yet."

Macca The Slayer of Vivek
ImageImageImage
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:50 am

Hey the links (images) are back!

What's with all this Billy Gates hatred? ;) Much, much poorer Macca? I doubt it mate. According to a reviewer over at IGN he said after playing the game for four hours, "The PC version looked slightly sharper and ran at a better clip than the Xbox 360, but Dan (not Heloego :D) and I agreed both looked strikingly similar."

Won't argue that a high-end PC won't look a bit better mate, but I do know my aging Dell machine won't be able to play this game with all the settings maxed out, and I have been told that the 360 runs the game with all settings maxed. The Construction Set is certainly going to be a limitation though. :?

Funny this debate - PC versus Xbox 360 - seems to plague a lot of the Oblivion forums. Some fanboys argue endlessly that the new console can't be touch by any PC. Of course that's not true. A system like Falcon's, especially with his larger monitor, will provide the lad with some great gaming moments. :shock: However, I'm still committed to my HDTV and surround sound experience, at least for a RPG game. Strategy and sim gaming can't be done outside of the PC, at least for me anyway.

But hey it's all good mates. She's coming in a couple of weeks! Probably get the Gold edition, after all it will be a present for my son. 8-[ Look forward to hearing your gaming stories, assuming you guys take the time to post. ;)

Tact - "Gates' Fanboy?" - S!
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:56 am

TactS, I wasn't talking bout the graphics but the community-added content.

I have just found sth that makes me drool and it is not Oblivion-related...makes me think if I could spend my money on it....http://www.condorsoaring.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S1

Mac
ImageImageImage
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:14 am

Indeed mate. I will only have access to official stuff via Xbox Live, but given the depth of this game I think it will be satisfying.

Funny community projects. My brief time with SHIII exposed me to some terrific community work, whereas I tried several RTW community mods and quickly returned to the vanilla game.

Regards,
TS!