Spits v 109s Server

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Gadje
The Unforseeable

Spits v 109s Server

Post by :FI:Gadje » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:27 pm

Wow ChicagoChad is really pushing the boat out on server difficulty settings on Spits v 109s.

No Icons have been the norm for a while along with no plane/map indicator and speed bar. But recently he has removed the heading indicator so you have to use the plane compass.... ok on German and USA planes but tricky on the Spit and Hurri......impossible on the Yak :?

Last night though on the Ardennes ....no map at all in flight!

Kind of liked it though..................but then again I flail my body each day with birch twigs and dress the wounds in Marmite.

I know a few FIS have tried it recently. What you think?

<Would a spruce sapling/penguin butter combo be nippier?>
:FI:RULES
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:28 pm

:? personaly I don´t think adding navigation to the game make it better...
What´s next? Demanding that everyone stick to a preset flight-path and that you have to follow orders?(prsumably Chad´s orders)

It´s a dogfight server and I like it as is at the moment...no map is making it a wee bit to hard for most of us I think....
"Ammunition clearance is a science with uncertain assumptions, based on disputed calculations. Derived from none convincing experiments carried out by persons with doubtful reliability and questioned mental capacities using instrument of doubtful precision".
Ianus
Postmaster

Post by Ianus » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:31 pm

Marmite!!!! :oops:

I still have trouble with icons off, no map as well! Think I'll fly cap over the home base 8-[
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Re: Spits v 109s Server

Post by :FI:Genosse » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:36 pm

:FI:Gadje wrote:Wow ChicagoChad is really pushing the boat out on server difficulty settings on Spits v 109s.

No Icons have been the norm for a while along with no plane/map indicator and speed bar. But recently he has removed the heading indicator so you have to use the plane compass.... ok on German and USA planes but tricky on the Spit and Hurri......impossible on the Yak :?
IMHO it´s the (almost the biggest) challenge in IL-2 you can get - stormy weather with lightnings would be the maximum in this game only. :shock:

Despite of the very unique properties the flight model in IL-2 has got (... and not since the latest patch only ...) it´s sometimes hard to find yourself on the different maps. Nonetheless you´re forced to use your instruments (as far as you can see them) and your knowledge of maps and their landscape highlights. :)

Yesterday I flew the Normandy map in my B-25. Loaded with 8x100FABs I took off from St. Laurent headed south-east to Aunay sur Odone. From there eastish to Lisieux just in order to drop my loadout onto an industrial area. After my job was done (successfully) I flew the same way back far off the fightings along the coast line ... my humble navigation skills helped me a lot on this map tho ...

Anyhow, ... it was fun!

Cheers, Gadje! ;)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:37 pm

Is he sticking with smaller maps like Ardennes or are there larger ones too mate?

While these settings are not my cup of tea, I think with enough folks it should be decent if the maps are small enough.

For me I would need to have a printed map handy in order to navigate, not to mention a defined flight path beforehand. My only experience with so-called "Full Real" has been offline. I like it in that learning my instruments was finally really necessary. Didn't mind the map navigation, at least for maps I was familiar with. Finished my missions but the fun factor was reduced for me nonetheless.

So outside of constantly trimming and CEM, plotting your flight courses, do you still have time to dogfight? :D

Tough settings. Guess if there is a market the server will stay. If not it will change or disappear.

TS!
:FI:Gadje
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:47 pm

:FI:Gadje wrote:

<Would a spruce sapling/penguin butter combo be nippier?>

Keep on topic please :roll:

p.s. Thanks for telling your route Gen :badgrin:
:FI:IceFrog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:16 pm

My first reaction to reading that was not a good one but then after thinking about it, I ‘m not too sure. Looking at my own slow, very slow growth in this game we do, I’m flying and using setups that I would have thought back at the beginning of my growth as not fun and no way would I do it, but now I do and it is fun. So I guess it would take some time getting used to it, and for some a lot longer.
No maps? I would think that the real pilots had little maps to pull out to look at. The times I’ve been in a server with no icons I use the maps and rivers to navigate but I usually get lost anyway.
"IceFrog" Image
The past is the prelude to the future
“Indecision is the key to flexibily”