Falcon's Full Metal Ferret

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:20 am

:lol:

Gee, thanks Snoop,

great timing.

](*,)

Fal "Have LCD, will waffle" con

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:55 pm

Oh no you went for the LCD monitor? :shock: ;)

Ok, ok. Listen, browsing (ok day-dreaming) about a new family television set which would be needed not only for tv/DVD movies but also for console gaming.

I believe that projections tvs are ok, provided you don't leave/play the games too long in order to avoid burn-in. However, they tend to be too dark for gaming, and what's up with replacing a bulb every couple of years?

Anyway, thought I read posts about plasma tvs not being suitable for gaming, as games definitely can cause burn-in. And like I have that kind of money.

With regard to LCD tvs I can't remember what the issue was with gaming, maybe burn-in or low fps (or something else). There was some issue if I recall. However, clearly LCDs are good for gaming, hence all the computers with them. Maybe there is something about LCDs that is different with tvs. Is it just a matter of the much larger screen? Any idea mates?

CRT tvs seem to be the best for a new tv. Just wished they didn't cost so much for what I'm looking for. :? Sony has a nice WEGA high-definition widescreen flat panel I been =P~ over, but the misses want's to buy a DISHWASHER for Christmas. Man she's selfish! [-( I say buy paper plates and let's watch DVD movies! :D

Tact - "presently staring at a small 27-inch JVC" - S!
Last edited by :FI:TacticalS! on Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:58 pm

I figured I'd give you another reason to be happy with your LCD 8)

Check this link out it explains what I was talking about:

http://grc.com/ctwhat.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You lucky ferret,
Snoop
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:12 pm

reading ...

thx Snoo!
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:08 am

My pleasure Fal!

s!
Snoo!
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:42 pm

Here's the final list of stuff.

from Magnum PC:

2 X EVGA 7800GTX
2G Kit PC-3200 EL Dual Channel Titanium 2-3-2-5
2 X 74 gb Raptor
AMD Athlon64 X2 4800+ BOX
OCZ Powerstream 520W Power supply
ABIT Fatal1ty AN8-SLi Motherboard
MS Windows XP Home
Lian Li Server Case V1000
Track IR Vector Pack
Kaspersky Security Suite
SB XFI
NEC 16 X DL DVD R/RW
16 X DVD/CD Drive
Lighting kit
Shipping

from amazon:

Saitek Eclipse keyboard
Logitech G5 Laser Optical mouse

from Dell:

Dell 2405FPW 24" LCD monitor

yet to buy:

Logitech Z5500 Digital 5.1 speakers or maybe
Creative Labs Gigaworks S750 7.1 (or 5.1) speakers

I have a nice Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 set up now so might stay with those.

Bill counted 'em up and I fink I'll end up wiff 10 USB ports! Juuust enough for all those planey fings what 'ang orf th'side of me ol'puter.

EDIT: Oh, plus four more ports on the monitor.

The neatest thing about all this stuff is that Bill guarantees that his build and tweeking and mystic chanting will leave a comparable name brand machine in the dust. AND after configuring other similar comps I figure I'm saving $1000-$1500.

Assuming it works, this is gonna be cool. If you're upgrading folk, I suggest you give these fine lads a look-see.

Falconfiguring
Last edited by :FI:Falcon on Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:51 pm

Looks great Falcon! Happy for you and the ferrets.

How does this beast get cooled again? Canadian winters keeps mine nice and cool most of the year. But what about you Southern climate boys? :-k

Might have to look them up when the time comes to purchase my next system.

TS!
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:03 pm

Cooling?

Well, like all we Loozianians do it,

I keep it in a tub of iced shrimp!

Silly Candanadian.

F

Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:27 pm

:lol:
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

outa sight

Post by MikeVictor » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:17 pm

Is that thing street legal?

zzzoooommmmmmmmm amundo.

Mic
:D
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:13 am

O!

I got the 24" wide screen monitor today!

Of course it's street legal, but you need a special permit for the wide load.

;)

F
Last edited by :FI:Falcon on Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:40 am

Wow, that is one heck of a computer :D!!!! You'll have to post some photos of da beast once you have it setup :D

s!
Snoop
:FI:Hunter
Boardie

Post by :FI:Hunter » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:10 pm

Hey Falcon..Couldent you just buy the components separatly like from "pricewatch.com and put the thing together yourself? Thats what I do..Ive built two rigs from scratch in my garage and have had no problems. We'll, mabe a few small problems but nothing that I couldent fix. I priced out puters from Alien and other companies and found it was cheaper to build myself on by workbench at home. Just an idea...l
Hunter
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:41 pm

Hunter,

Sure I could build one, but I don't have the experience to tweek and bench test and set it up, at least not near as much as Hunter82. He's been an IL2 nut and one of the best sources of information in the IL2 Community Help forums for many years. He and his partner Joe can assemble the best components and overclock and set up a comp to beat any off the shelf rig around. At home you can work on a rig until you get some higher fps, but that's usually it.

Then, when you have a problem, you call him up and get just the right answers.

Sure, if you have more experience than I, make your own, but I'd rather let someone else who does this daily for a living do it.

I configured a Falcon Northwest Mach V on its' site yesterday. Bill's computer should be faster than the Falcon and the Falcon costs $1600+ more. If I shopped for the cheapest price for each component and assembled it on my own it would only cost ~$4-500 less. The components Bill chose were better than the ones I originally picked. He knows the warrantees, guarantees, customer service quality and real-world track record of the parts and has built enough 'puters to know what works better with what.

Yeah, building and fiddling with a new comp can be fun and satisfying, but I don't have the time and even with my best effort, my rig wouldn't be as good as an equal rig built by a proffesional.

Fal "hoping all this talk works out" con

:FI:Mikester
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Mikester » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:01 pm

Thats nice, no match for my rig

COMMADOR 64
KEYBOARD
MOUSE
EXTERNAL TAPE DRIVE
16 COLOR VGA
OPEN WINDOW COOLING SYSTEM
BULLET PROOF!!
RUN TANK OVER IT PROOF!!