Real Life COD...Almost

Everything that got nothing to do with games we play ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:ZekeMan
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Real Life COD...Almost

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:46 pm

Hey mates. Got myself involved in what could be considered the most logical evolutionary step in first person shooter gaming. Got invovled with a crew here in town that are known as Airsofters, the name derived from airsoft rifles or AEGs, Air Electric Guns. Guns are 1:1 replicas of real weapons, both modern and WW2 (although those cost a helluva lot more).
These guns shoot semi-auto and full auto just like the real steel and fire 6mm plastic BBs at a stinging 300-400 fps, depending on weapon type.

First time I skirmished with the group I was hooked. This 44 year old lummox even kept up with the younger pups in dashing through the woods, up and down hills, and shucking and jiving away from incoming fire.

Purchased my first AEG a little while ago, a 1:1 replica of an H&K MP-5A4/A5. I will send pics as soon as I get some. I am also putting some of my literary imagination into the sport by designing mission templates for the group. Great fun. I know there is a big Airsoft following in England, too.

Z

We sleep safe in our beds, because rough men stand ready in the night, to visit violence upon those that would do us harm... James Orwell
:FI:Fenian
Just pink and fluffy

Yeah!

Post by :FI:Fenian » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:58 pm

Pics please!

This is like paintball - but they're plastic pellets? Ouch!

Do they hurt?

Do you have to wear eye/nostril/ear protection?

Sounds like fun!
_________

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Sounds like a real gas!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:44 pm

I got serious into Paintball some time ago! Never had so much fun!
Even the bad bruises on cold mornings were badges of honor!

:D

I bet hose pellets sting! :lol:
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:14 pm

That airsoft is pretty popular hobby in Finland.

A friend of mine sets up these big theme-based airsoft matches... Latest was called "Charlie dont surf". One side played as americans (and all were dressed in vietnam era bdu´s and lbe´s) and the other side played as vietcongs. There were couple of hundred players in that game....
"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
Just pink and fluffy

So...

Post by :FI:Fenian » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:23 pm

the guns are CO2 'gas-guns' firing platic pellets...

What kind of velocity? How far? How accurate?

They seem relatively cheap to buy in the UK, these guns.....
_________

Oscar Wilde
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:33 am

There are 3 types of mechanisms:

a) Spring action:

You must reload manually after each shot. Velocity for these seem to be somewhere around 60 - 80 meters/second with assault rifles and 50-75 m/s with pistols.

b) Gas operarated:

Gas operated guns are mostly pistols and sub machineguns, i didn´t find any gas-operated rifles. Velocity for gas-operated: 80-100 m/s

c) Electric guns:

These are practically spring action guns, where the reloading is done by electrical motor. Velocity is usually 80 - 100 m/s, but there are a lot of tune-up parts for sale, which increases the velocity well over 100 m/s. My friend has an ak-47 which has a velocity of 120 meters/second.

My friend says that the range for the rifles is somewhere around 50 meters (of course, less with pistols). They are not too accurete, because the pellet is so light, that wind causes the pellets to scatter...

In Finland, those guns are pretty expensive... for example, electric powered rifles cost 300-400 euros...
"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
:FI:Mefisto
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Mefisto » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:26 am

hmmm 1€=4pln
non automatic - spring action
http://allegro.pl/show_item.php?item=65983676 20PLN = 5€

http://allegro.pl/show_item.php?item=67108375 49PLN = 12,25 €

automatic,electric

http://allegro.pl/show_item.php?item=65636021

http://allegro.pl/show_item.php?item=65663390

http://allegro.pl/show_item.php?item=65663014

http://allegro.pl/show_item.php?item=65870211

"AK 47" ;) AEG with hop-up
http://www.allegro.pl/show_item.php?item=66677021

"STEYR AUG" -200PLN - 50€
http://www.allegro.pl/show_item.php?item=65861985

for pancer maniacs
http://www.allegro.pl/show_item.php?item=66502106 :D

most add small paintball "bullets"

funnies

i just wonder what rules there are, how to check if one got hit - killed (? - like in paintbal) use those small balls with paint?
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:18 pm

All right! You m8s posted a lot of info that I was planning on posting, saved me a lot of work.

Although some manufactures of the guns state that they can shoot the 6mm paintballs, this is actually a very unintelligent thing to do and will actually void your warranty. Your high end manufacturers won't even suggest it.

Airsofters at large play by the honor system. Whereas paintball leaves little doubt if and where one has been hit, it is up to the player on the receiving end of a stream of high-velocity BBs to acknowledge this. From what I've seen 99% of Airsofters fall into this category. Those that don't are never invited to a skirmish again. In my opinion the thing that separates airsoft from paintball is the degree of realism. Even the most realistic paintball guns are still funky looking as compared to the 1:1 realism of an AEG. There are no alien looking bulges sticking out of the top of the guns that hold the paintballs, but rather real functioning magazines that must be switched out when empty and in the same manner as a real weapon.

Yes the BBs have a nasty sting! I had my hold left side lit up by two guys on full auto. LOL. I had a welt on my arm that hung around for three days.
There are various forms of protection. I wear a facemask with eye and ear protection. Some of the guys only where eye protection tho.

Most of the guns operating in my group shoot 300 to 400 fps, the 400fps models behing upgraded by their owners. I bought a UTG Mp-5 that have just came out on the market. They were designed as a low cost entry level gun. I got mine with ten 30rd mags for $139, some $200 less than what I would have paid for just the gun. Mine is all high-impact plastic, but it neither looks it or feels like it. Eventually I am going to get one of the all metal ICS or CA guns...but not until I have a lot of extra capital.
My Mp-5 fires a .20 gram BB at 280fps after a very inexpensive upgrade that I did myself. Eventually I will add a couple more things that will put the gun in the 300+ fps range.

The scenarios are the best part, and this group that I joined are really going to have a blast because I am putting all of my novel writing imagination to work for them. I made a "pilot down" scenario that they are all chomping at the bit to try. LOL.

Z

We sleep safe in our beds, because rough men stand ready in the night, to visit violence upon those that would do us harm... James Orwell
Just pink and fluffy

Hmmm..

Post by :FI:Fenian » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:35 pm

This could be an interesting 'item' on an :FI: get together... are there companies running these sorts of outfits for groups?

What about Poland, our possible next meeting destination?

At those prices we could all buy guns there and smuggle them home afterwards... LOL

:roll:
_________

Oscar Wilde
:FI:Mefisto
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Mefisto » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:45 pm

think it would not be a problem to buy it and take it whereever the meeting would take place if you find those prices funny, just let me know ;)

some of them might be "single"use but still... and around cracow there are plenty of hills with fortifications on it and few trees ;)
:FI:Dex
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Dex » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:47 pm

I'm up for it!

Love the new Avatar Fen, ya madman!

:p
Just pink and fluffy

Well...

Post by :FI:Fenian » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:52 pm

thanky kindly Dexter :)

;)
_________

Oscar Wilde
:FI:Hunter
Boardie

Post by :FI:Hunter » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:20 pm

Yes..Airsoft matches are great fun. I have a semi-auto uzi I use to play in matches in my backyard with the neighbor kids. Its a battery powered gun that works fine but Im looking to upgrade to a co2 gun. Just be careful where you leave your guns...My 4 year old picked mine up off my garage bench and emptied the clip into my new truck. No real damage done but I was cleaning up plastic bb's for days. Needless to say I keep it way out of reach now.
Hunter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:06 pm

LOL Hunter. Ya see, even AEGs aren't safe to leave laying around loaded.

The matches are something else tho. I am currently working on a "pilot down" scenario for the group where two opposing forces attempt to get to a shot down pilot. I am making a lifesize "dummy" with moveable limbs and such to render first aid to, pack out of the brush, and defend against the OPFOR.

I'll post pics and possibly a couple of mpegs when we do that operation.

Z

:FI:Hunter
Boardie

Post by :FI:Hunter » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:42 am

That would be kick ass Zeke..Where abouts in the US are you from? Looking foreward to seeing the pics.
Hunter