GeForce 6800GT VS. Radeon X800XL

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

GeForce 6800GT VS. Radeon X800XL

Post by :FI:Genosse » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:56 am

Folks!

Well, since BoB will be released soon (in two weeks ;)) I´d like to upgrade my ole machine a bit and I thought to buy it a new graphics card. My old one (Radeon 9500 Pro) that I´ve got now for three (!) years now has done a good job so far and if there wasn´t BoB or COD2 I wouldn´t buy a new one ... :(

Anyhow, since I´m quite satisfied with the Radeon GPU aswell as the ATI´s driver packages I´m not so sure if I should stick to the ATI Radeon cards because of their much higher prices.

Another point is the performance of the two different GPUs (Geforce and Radeon). I´ve no clue what´s so special about each product and if it´s worth to pay more for the difference. All these version numbers in common and attachements like "Pro", "XT", etc. in special are more confusing than helpful to me. :shock:

Due to my low money I can´t afford me a new machine with the (ultra-!)new PCI-e slot so it´ll be an AGP card I need to purchase. My favourites so far are either a GeForce 6800GT 256MB AGP or a Radeon X800XL 256MB for almost the same price (approx. 300 Euros) ...

Which one would you recommend to me, folks?
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:15 pm

Well...

Hard question, Frank.

These cards are comparable, very similar results you can gen in benchmarks and in games.

I got an Asus Geforce 6800 GT, kinda GT LE version I could say but when i bought it it was cheaper a lot from normal 6800 GT. Now, when i found out w=how to get rid of this strange freezes everything runs like a dream, PF looks wonderful, BF2 :) is lovely-looking either.

I used to have 2 Radeons - 8500 LE - was a great card for its price, later I had 9600 PRO 256 - wonderful stuff too.

If you are satisfied with Radeons - go for it, they have very good drivers update rate.

Now I'm very happy with my 6800gt so I can reccomend it - but both brands are great. If anyone says ATI suxx or nVidia suxx don't listen.

As for Asus geforces - they have very good cooling system - I have 56-57 Celsius degrees after BG2, 46 when idle.

Best luck with your Qust for A New Card.

S!

Mac

PS.buy an ATI Rage 4 MB and spend the rest on beer (can send me some):)

:roll:
ImageImageImage
Kitty
Postmaster

Post by Kitty » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:20 pm

Well i'm just going to pass on the advice that has been said to me:

if you want rock solid reliable performance go for the Radeon

if you are a fan of overclocking, messing with settings, ubernerding your gfx card, go for Nvidia.

Personaly, I don't want to buy another Nvidia card because of bad experiences with drivers (and I've been using nvidia since the mx cards, and after my voodoo3 dfx ran out lol).

Important is also who put the card together? Asus, XFX, MSI, walmart? I was unlucky with my MSI Geforec 4 128, since it performs less than the 64mb version (lower clockrate, go figure).

MSI is usually a midrange card, comfortably priced but still an ok card. Asus, XfX often a better choice (though XFX has a heat problem, buy some additional coolers - which may not be a bad idea at any rate)

Another question you need to ask yourself, SLI or not? Granted you'll have to buy another GT6800, but it doubles your performance - and you don't have to cough up the full 600 in one go. (then of course you'll have to see what the card does in SLI and how it holds up in the 600 price range)

Good luck in finding the right card. I have to do the same soon myself and hopefully don't make the same mistake again (buy too soon, did not inform myself well enough).

So last advice is to do a search on the cards, read interviews, tests and draw your conclusion.
Chow Meow from Kitty Hawk!
Finbar1
Postmaster

Post by Finbar1 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:47 pm

Have a 6800 gt and lovin it.
I used to update the drivers regularly,find now that I dont,just stick with one .
I run an Asus board,and an AMD Pro.
PC has been solid for the last 9 months.
The 6800's are as I am sure you know coming down in price due I suspect to the 7800's.
:FI:Spitsfire
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Spitsfire » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:26 pm

I think Nvidia is the only way to get the special water?
:?
Winner of the FIS pink n'shiney,
"Gee winkies! I've been here over a year
and am still completely normal,
pookey-pookey-pookey." Award!
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:42 pm

:FI:Spitsfire wrote:I think Nvidia is the only way to get the special water?
:?

it depends how special.....fire water????

This lil' water that ppl drink and feel happy?

:roll:

Seriously - yes, only nvidia can help here to get the pixel shader 3.0 water in PF.
ImageImageImage
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:05 pm

As you know Gen both companies make good cards. I think ATI's card has a slightly better performance in IL-2 WHEN using higher AA/AF. However, nVIDIA and ATI seem to vary (sometimes significantly) with other games, so you really need to be careful.

When I decided to purchase my nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT 256MB card, which was an upgrade from my previous ATI Radeon 9700TX card (which I keep still as a backup), I reviewed varies benchmarks.

I personally like nVIDIA's interface and options. The GeForce model is already overclocked, and comes with a lifetime warranty. Unless hosting, I always play on Perfect using 2xAA and getting an average 60+ fps in missions. It goes beyond 80+ in normal flying. I can also use up to 4xAA with 30-40 fps too, but prefer the higher framerates.

For CoD, Silent Hunter, and R:TW nVIDIA treats me very well. I would suggest you look carefully and consider all your gaming.

Happy hunting Frank!

Regards,
TS!
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:26 am

Try the new Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX

it's better than the 6800 in every way.

Oh, and it only costs 600 clams

that's only 65,754,482 marks

or 1.31 Euros

gosh these new conversion tables from Walmart are so handy!

<cough>

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:59 am

My advice would be to wait for BOB and/or CODII to be released and benchmarked before deciding and buying a new card. This way you'll have hard data on how each card is likely to perform and the price is likely to have dropped some by then.

s!
Snoop
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:04 am

:FI:Snoop Baron wrote:My advice would be to wait for BOB and/or CODII to be released and benchmarked before deciding and buying a new card. This way you'll have hard data on how each card is likely to perform and the price is likely to have dropped some by then.
Rgrt, Snoop!

First of all I´d like to thank you for all your replies, thoughts and opinions about my question. After reading all your postings and the conversations I had with some of you on Teamspeak I came to the conclusion that it´s better to wait until BOB and COD2 has been released. I agree with Snoop that I´ve to know first what these games will need my PC to perform. And of course it´s a matter of money unless a newer (PCI-e) gaphics card needs a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc.

So I decided to upgrade my system with a much more cheaper and compatible Radeon 9800 and save the rest of my money in order to buy a new PC that will fit to the BOB recommended specifications.

Thank you very much, folks! :D
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
Finbar1
Postmaster

Post by Finbar1 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:41 am

"After reading all your postings and the conversations I had with some of you on Teamspeak I came to the conclusion that it´s better to wait until BOB and COD2 has been released."

Patience is a virtue that I dont have,you have my utmost admiration,we are sure that there will be a BOB/COD11?
I am assuming Luthier etal are working away on it as we speak,and that UBI/Oleg were waiting to see the recently released BOB by Shockwave "Wings of Victory" prior to proceeding further.
BTW has anyone tried this new sim or heard anything about it?
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:45 pm

Sounds like a good plan Gen :). I hope to get enough life out of my 9700 Pro until Oleg releases BOB!

s!
Snoop
Kitty
Postmaster

Post by Kitty » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:59 pm

I was tempted Finbar, but GMX Studio has disappointed me before so I decided against it.

If you have CSF 3 you can buy the Just flight BoB addon tho :)
Finbar1
Postmaster

Post by Finbar1 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:39 am

Kitty( welcome back by the way) sad to say I had CFS3,but sold it after a few months ,have however been tempted by the add-ons available for FS2004,but have resisted so far as I cant see them being as good as IL2.
I see your into other sims have you tried BF2?
There is a demo available.
Kitty
Postmaster

Post by Kitty » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:24 pm

Nah, I stick with what I have currently and will wait for CoD2.

I still play a lot of FS9, and am flying for various virtual organisations including the usvaf (united states virtual air force), and I am really really loving it. I signed up for the rotor division, but can fly any military plane I wish (including dutch ones of course :D like various Fokker versions).

If I can't manage to fly a plane decently in FB/etc. soon I might just give up on it and move onto FS9 completely and just wait for BoB. I'd hate to do it, but frankly I haven't done much for the squadron flight time wise, other than offer some comic relief (and even that at a crappy level) and silly stuff written on the forums.

It's also frustrating that by the time I had build up some proficiency with various planes I get into trouble, lose game time and am back at the beginning again. This happened several times now and frankly, I'm getting a bit tired of it. It's not just the equipment of course, it's me too - I'm as much to blame for my lack of skill and I still try and blame it on circumstances.

The sad thing is ... I just installed and fired up Il2 and I can take off no problem. I move on to FB and it's crash 'n burn. of course it's comparing apples and pears, but it also makes me wonder how real do I want things to be? Is full real fun or just a source of frustration - well from what I have been venting, I'm sure you can figure that out.

And to be honest, full real is when I actually get into the plane - considering the game there is no realism, only a simulated virtual reality.

Also I bought some add ons for FS9 (combat helicopter havoc, military airplanes, flightdeck III and WWII carrier operations - to name a few), and they may not be as 'realistic' as in Il2, but I'm having a blast with them nonetheless. I cannot shoot things down (but it can be simulated by call and acknowledgement), but flying online with FS9 brings up a different aspect of military flight you will never get in Il2. Plan a flight, File it with an active ATC, use of radio and com, Navaid, ATC, talk to ground, taxi to take off, talk to tower, take off and fly IFR, talk to center until the next stage in your flight, prepare for your mission, get AWAC assistance on radio ... and well the list goes on. A very different experience, but a very rich one, just on a different level.