Track ir.....

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Skipper
Forum Junky

Track ir.....

Post by Skipper » Sun May 01, 2005 4:10 pm

Hey guys,
Well its my birthday soon and i was thinking of purcahsing track ir to "enhance my flying ability".First though , I thought it would be best to consult with you guys and ask if you think it is up to scratch!I was going to get the 3rd version (track ir 3 pro) for about £70.I also have the question of which socket does it connect to in the pc and does it need a certain amount of RAM etc etc.

Thanks in advnce

Skipper
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Sun May 01, 2005 4:17 pm

It plugs into a convenient USB port. As for RAM usage, I have no idea.

Some guys swear by 'em. I've had mine for a year and still find it a bit disconcerting. :?
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

Grecian
Postmaster

Post by Grecian » Sun May 01, 2005 4:25 pm

Yes, essential I think, USB connection, minimal resources used if any.

Once u have mastered it, which can take a few days, u wont want to fly without it. ^:)
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots..." Frank Spencer.

Skipper
Forum Junky

I'm going to place my order!

Post by Skipper » Sun May 01, 2005 5:26 pm

Thanks for your replies my fellow comrades.I'm going to place my order now and then heading onto HL. See you in a bout 20 minutes!

Skippy
Winston Churchill

Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Wed May 04, 2005 1:33 pm

though this posting is a bit old and no doubt you already have your TIR, i totally agree with Willie. i've had my tracker for about a year or maybe even longer... and still find it hard to use. sure, its GREAT, a real nice addition to your flying pleasure, and does work completely as advertised... only some people (like myself) seem to continue to have wonky problems with it. not the equipment's fault, mind you, but some sort of mental blockage in the use of it.

usually, when i first start it up (offline and against the AI) it works beautifully for me... maybe because i KNOW i'm flying against the AI. but for some reason, the MORE i use it, the less it works correctly...no doubt, due to me getting excited and twisting and turning in my seat and bobbing and weaving my head or something. and it never fails, when i get ONLINE and play against humans, i completely loose myself and get all befuddled RIGHT WHEN I NEED IT THE MOST! graaaa!

now at times, it seems to work better for me than others... and when it does, its startling just how much it helps, but when i get all mixed up and get it whacked out...its also startling just how BAD it messes me up. lol. and i tried HARD to learn to use it. the first six months was a joke for me, with it all whacky and jerky, after getting the dead zones finally right, it was better, but then going on line and getting blasted from the skies because i got excited and messed it up, put me off of it for a full six months or so. when i finally came back to it, it was better and has continued to improve somewhat...but even now, over a year later, i have not fully mastered it.

its not for everybody. evidently not for me, though again, i have come to some sort of terms with it. maybe eventually i'll get it down completely, oh in say another year or two. lol...

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed May 04, 2005 2:54 pm

Since this thread re-surfaced due to Beo's post, I was kinda amused by this thread :FI:Skipper, I mean the "vote" up until you decided to purchase TIR was 1 negative review and 1 positive review.

So I must ask, were you really looking for feedback, or just needed someone, anyone, to say something remotely positive to build up the courage to order this expensive little toy? :D

These boards are good therapy, eh guys? :lol:

BTW my TIR3 experience has been wonderful. Within a week I was using this crazy thing and really enjoying the immersion and tracking abilities. While once in a while I may move a bit in my chair, a quick hit on re-center before engagement ensures a trouble-free experience.

Happy flying!
Skipper
Forum Junky

You are on the right lines...

Post by Skipper » Wed May 04, 2005 7:15 pm

I have to admit TactS , I was pretty certain I was going to get it but I just needed a nudge in the right direction :D I just hope that its worth it but i'm sure i'll have fun fiddling with it and most likely get annoyed when it meses up but its all part of the experience ;)

Thanks for the help guys :D

Skip
Winston Churchill

:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Wed May 04, 2005 7:28 pm

It's great. Get it, I doubt you'll regret it.

G
I fear no beer

:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Wed May 04, 2005 10:14 pm

I know that I love my TIR3pro. :D

No doubt, with time and patience... you will too...

;)
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
Kitty
Postmaster

Post by Kitty » Wed May 04, 2005 11:17 pm

with the way games currently seem to affect me, I'm not sure if it's wise for me to even consider Track IR. Unfortunately the price is too steep to simply 'experiment' with it. Same reason I dare not to try and pick up CoD - I get motion sickness that no longer goes away - though in past I used to be able to get 'used' to it.

As a simmer, I have been looking at track IR very very often, because it's useful in so many games that I play and will be playing in the future. Messing with voice control or keyboard always has been a problem - I usually try to have at least a left look and right look programmed on my wheel/joystick, but track ir sounds just so much easier. If only I knew how it would affect me.
Chow Meow from Kitty Hawk!
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

It's somewhat...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Thu May 05, 2005 1:19 am

...disorienting at first.

Once you get your unit's settings customized, though, and get past trying to use the hat switch even after getting TIR, you'll wonder how you got along without it.

One caveat...

Do not<REPEAT> DO NOT use it if you are tending a hangover!!!! :cry:

The headache is incredible! :roll:
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x