Battlefield 1942

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Battlefield 1942

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:51 pm

Snoop and I were talking about playing Battlefield 1942 sometime soon. We had enjoyed a session a while ago.

I think Napier has the game. Anyone else have this "classic" and would like to join us? Don't know when but I'm guessing some Wednesday after flying or something.

Been playing it offline and have forgotten how much fun it is, especially when you increase the AI numbers in campaign missions.

TactS!
napier
Forum Junky

Post by napier » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:02 am

hola tactical!
:: napier ::

Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:06 pm

And where have YOU been my favourite chef ? [-( We missed you last Wednesday when we started back to campaign missions.

Do you still have Battlefield mate? I know you are quite good at it. We were thinking of playing together and beat the "bad" guys some evening.

Last night in one mission I managed 51 kills but 7 deaths (K/A - 7.3). Must say a lot harder to score kills than in CoD. Forgotten how big the maps were, and how much fun jumping in and out of vehicles, tanks, airplanes, ships, and buildings/structures is. :)

While snipering is always fun, been enjoying the assault gun and probably even more so the medic (hence a decent K/A ratio). A couple times last night I found myself outnumbered say 5 to 1 and still got my kills and lived to tell about it (until I turned the next corner and got sniped). :?

I have the AI ratio doubled from the default and it is awesome seeing so many guys running around. Really easy to be over run in a hurray.

So interested napier? Or are you rusty now? :badgrin:

TactS!

P.S. And stop working so much! ;)
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:23 am

Yes, I think it is an excellent game in fact I actually prefer it's multiplayer over COD:UO. UO has the better graphics and I think the infantry weapons are also better in UO, but in all other aspects I prefer BF1942.

Perhaps we could have it setup as second infantry game within the Platoon. The networking code is really good (low lag with lots of players and AI) and you can play up to 64 people max I believe!! Plus there is AI in multiplayer so you can shore up the numbers and even team up against the AI. Not to mention the maps are huge :) and there are many more vehicles and much better modeled tanks (relatively speaking). The graphics are not UO level but not bad at all.

If you have the game already (I bet you can get the original really cheap) then please post on this thread. If you don't if you are interested in trying it also post :).

Lets play some this Wednesday!

s!
Snoop
ps. I do not have any of the expansions. But I do have the cool Desert Combat mod that lets you play with modern day infantry weapons and vehicles. But I prefer the original WWII stuff.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:24 am

Btw, elusive Napier Amanda and I got our tickets for the my sisters Wedding so we will be seeing you in New York and I'll drag you out of hiding :D
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:02 pm

Calm down there Snoop! ;)

Definitely interested in playing BF1942 mate, but let's not panic Dutchman with making another FPS (First Person Shooter) Platoon server. :D

I purchased the BF1942 package (1942 plus two addons) as a birthday gift for Matthew last year. While I have played with it a little, I feel badly that I didn't get my "money's worth" out of the purchase - at least not yet anyway. So playing again with you and anyone else sounds great, especially since I have been messing around with it again lately.

I agree that even though it is a couple years old, a better challenge and a lot more enjoyable on/offline experience due to the huge environments, various vehicles/planes, and open gameplay. I also agree that CoD has the better graphics and slightly better interface for movement.

Here's a link to BF1942 stuff - http://www.planetbattlefield.com/bf1942/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . There are also even better fansites out there. Last night downloaded some custom maps. As with CoD there's a lot of stuff out there to enhance BF1942.

As for BF2 not really into modern warfare, or even FPS really for that matter. It does look great however. If the squad continues with CoD, which a lot of the guys really like of course, I do hope they consider the gaming elements of BF series such as AI opponents for online play, harder ability to score kills (I can use a MP40 and sniper in most CoD maps :? ), and add ships/planes to the online world. Have trajectories for tanks. I think CoD 3 will at least stay with WW2 which is better than modern stuff IMO.

But hey give me a good strategy game when not flying and I'm happy. 8)
Crazy
Boardie
Location: 60 miles southeast of the great city of Cleveland, Ohio

Post by Crazy » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:25 pm

I've got Battlefield 1942, AND the Road to Rome expansion pack. Perhaps this is the opportunity to get back into gaming with the :FI: :-k
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:23 pm

Yeah please join us Crazy :D Tact, since BF1942 has a modern combat mod Desert Combat, then I bet BF2 will have a WWII combat mod. The content in Desert Combat is just as high quality as the WWII stuff in BF1942 but I do enjoy the WWII combat a bit better.

s!
Snoop
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:48 pm

Was flying around with a jet rocket strapped to my back yesterday Snoop. There's some crazy stuff in the third addon - Secret Weapons. Fun stuff! Great for getting to inaccessible locations like rooftops and over chain-link fencing with barbed wires on top. ;)
Skipper
Forum Junky

Americ's Army?

Post by Skipper » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:26 pm

I did HAVE Battlefield 1942 but i'm afraid no longer.Howvere , i do play Americas Army if any of you guys play that I would be delighted to team up with you.THe only problem with it is the HUGE download time even on broadband!Anyway , if any of you guys do play it , let me know.

Skipper

PS-Sorry to all the guys o VF that i haven't flown recently.With the GCSE exams approaching rapidly :( I really have to do atleast SOME revision! :D
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:17 am

:FI:TacticalS! wrote:Was flying around with a jet rocket strapped to my back yesterday Snoop. There's some crazy stuff in the third addon - Secret Weapons. Fun stuff! Great for getting to inaccessible locations like rooftops and over chain-link fencing with barbed wires on top. ;)
Sounds cool if we start playing more regularly I'd consider getting the addons I'm sure I can get them for cheap :). Well this past week was bad didn't get to play Wed or Sunday. But I'm looking forward to Wed again :)
napier
Forum Junky

Post by napier » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:40 am

argggggggg im alive!! We gotta get a bf game going on some time!! Maybe we'll all hop on a server somenight, or have a 5 v 5 infantry match or something!
:: napier ::

Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:11 pm

:FI:napier wrote:argggggggg im alive!! We gotta get a bf game going on some time!! Maybe we'll all hop on a server somenight, or have a 5 v 5 infantry match or something!
I know mate, let's have a BF1942 session tonight (as in last night when YOU posted this message). Almost forgot, Snoop and I had a blast again last night playing BF while YOU sir were messing around in the forums! :x

Seriously, you must be real busy with the new restaurant? :(

We intend to play again next week if no one wants to fly (pre-patch blues?). Love to see anyone who has the game join us. For those with older systems this game should play very smoothly. And despite it being a couple years old, the graphics and modelling is actually very well done and the maps are huge. If you like the concept of the CoD GFM you will definitely understand where they "stole" the idea from. [wink][wink]

----------

Snoop I'll try to post the custom maps I have so we can include some of them maybe in our next session.

Had lots of fun! Was rather tough in that Battle of Britain one. We must be getting too old, eh? :D

TactS!