The ongoing JG42 war

Dates, News and Comments

Should we skip the Moscow and move over to the Bessarabia campaign as soon as possible?

Yeah, let's move immeadiately!
25%
Yeah, ... but give Moscow further two weeks before moving over!
6%
Naw, me loves Moscow! Let's fight there to the bitter end!
44%
Where da beer ... again?
25%

Total votes: 16
:FI:Blue2
Forum Junky

Re: January 20th, 2013

Post by :FI:Blue2 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:05 am

Google deserves an Oscar for best comedian effort this evening for that translation
Very true, Nephris! Along with being really helpful, that Q &A above does have several funnies in it. I enjoyed this one the most:
Reconnaissance (Fieseler Storch, FW189, runway bitch, R10) looking attractive targets for bombing in the follow-on mission.
"Runway bitch??" Who IS this woman and why is she on my runway? Well, if she's a really "attractive target," maybe we'll tolerate the bitchy attitude & put her to work in the mess hall. :lol:

Enjoyed the missions on Sunday as usual, mate. You dealt us a nasty blow there - we retake one airfield and you take 2 others away from us! Not nice! [-X :D
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:41 am

We were working around 6 missions to prepare the way for the tanks to get em beyond Yukhnov.
I already feared havin an issue in the campaign, but the virtual troop count was in fact increasing and decreasing like waves from mission to mission. We were finally able to get around 4 of initially 32 tanks from Vyazma to the south front. Most were destroyed on their way to the front, and another big part took its way to other front sectors.
And at least once a mission one of us 4 dedicated fighter bombers for the south sector gets blown out of the sky by a flak shell.
God thx we got a special operation pilot called Wolf for that, who catches the shrapnels with his teeth and is our flak shell magnet.
So Yukhnov was a major task for us.

The lost airfield in the middle sector at Uvarovka hurts, as it was a welcome field to decrease the flight back home.
I am curoius about Ghatzk, as we lost that airfield also as spawn point ....if red would be able to spawn aircrafts here, blue will have some serious problems, as most bombers could easily by intercepted.

Dunno when snow was melting in 1942, but I guess we will switch seasons in the beginning or middle of march 1942, so we will fly on a summer map instead. ( maybe we are already on another map/campaign at this date, if one party takes the target location before)

This is also the point, when we can implement and use those beacons for navigation (no must of course).
Once understood, it is really helpful for navigation.
Here is a simple tutorial for how to use it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... WrUnwHc4Kg

I dont know what 1941/42 red planes can use blind navigation, but I guess some.
Thepdf readme for 4.10 should also be adressed to the blind navigation, introduced by Team Daidalos.

We will meet tomorrow evening at 20:30 met (only 2 pilots) to practise some dogfighting and bombing stuff, if you dont have to better things to do, join us in TS @ nephris.ath.cx
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:42 pm

Re navigation

I've been taking the Joint-Ops advanced Navigation 1 course the past few weeks (missed a few of the campaign missions as they overlapped )
A lot of the Russian AC don't (didn't) have as much as a radio compass( nor were thay allowed to carry maps thanks to Stalins paranoia), let alone NDB and lorenz.( at least I see no instruments for them in cockpit, though the static from NDBs can be heard in all planes , as can the dot-dash and pips from Hez 3km and Vez 300m locators )
On the red side P.39 does have radio compass; which all of the Blue planes will have (possibly with the exception of the La7 [-X lol who the hell was that guy :badgrin: ) FW190 and Ju88s can use NDBs.
So far the only Red AC in that theatre that I know of able to use them is the B25.

Will DCG include masking beacons (meacons)?

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:26 pm

DCG will handle each beacon, doesnt matter what kind,as a default stationary object.
Means red stationary objects can only spawn at red locations.
Basically this means you will find stationary objects/beacons only behind the red front or in bulges (maybe created by paratroopers ;) )

MBeacons would be actually red objects within the blue territory?

Bf109 up to G2 has no navigation but radio klicks only ... which is more or less useless.
The Ju88,Ju87 and Bf110 got those radio needles.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:59 pm

Meacon(masking beacon) is a seperate static object, so would be a red object in red territory transmitting to blue frequencies and vice versa.
Started to do a spreadsheet for AC with or without Nav aid instruments * only up to "C" allied -will be a long job;)

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:38 pm

I will do some tests how that work and try to implement it into the campaign.

OffTopic:
As we got some guy from London here:
Good match Arsenal, you can leave the field with heads high!
Unbelievable how shite we ve been playing, 3 fantastic chances left aside.
Already considered canceling my Sky Abo ffs.Gunners were close to 0:3 than us at 1:2.
However loosing is never an option at all. Poor Arsene ...Congratz for Arsenals effort however.

edit:
Just chekcing some red planes for their abilty to work with beacons
Pe-2 110 / 84
Db3F

...really ashame Red has just a few planes (in our temp. campaign)with working Beacons.
Actually just the bombers. Blue planes are Ju87,Ju88 and Bf-110.
I guess that relativates the need of implementing Beacons in this time period ,lol...
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Blue2 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:05 am

Beacons are still cool to have available even if we don't use 'em a lot. Might be helpful in dawn/dusk missions or during rare bad weather missions if we ever have any. I'd be happy without the meacons though - navigation's hard enough on this winter map even WITHOUT any deception! Radio towers would be very nice too if we could add the music files to work with them. (Never done it but heard/read about them.)

Frank, should we make this thread a sticky & perhaps change its title (to "Moscow Campaign with 1./JG42" perhaps)? If so you may want to post the 4 bullet points below up at the top, if you think it's a good idea & are able to do so.

Some updated info on this campaign for FI lads in case you might have missed it:
- We now have English briefings (thank you Nephris! very helpful!)
- campaign went from coop missions to 2 x 90 minute dogfight missions about 3 weeks ago, which means come & go as you like, and also jump in another plane if you crash or die in your first attempt (however if you die twice in one 90 minute mission, you're out 'til the next one starts - refill beverage & listen to the fun from the "afterlife." :CX )
- for my brothers across the pond now on daylight savings time as I am, missions now begin at 3 pm eastern time & run exactly 3 hours total (again, 2 x 90 minutes)
- the translated Q & A on the 5th page of this thread is worth spending 10 minutes on - funny in places & will answer most questions quickly

Mikester gave us a hand last Sunday and more Scottish help would be nice, and Vin we've been expeting you! Grab yer pipes & march east, young man! :D (Sorry to hear of the illness you & Frank's bunch have been dealing with & hope it's all past now.) Wolfhound, are ye still FIGHTING Irish, lad? Must Eamonn bear our squad's proud green & gold colors alone?! Helo have you reloaded HSFX 6 & solved your dogfight issue? The Goat skies await you. Noter, your skins have collected dust long enough - get ON your duff & put one to use boy-o! Igor have you had to quit IL-2 'cuz it takes all your online time just to locate ammo now?! (Had to take a 2nd job to pay for mine!) Well, you guys get the idea - it goes for all of ya - we'd love ta have ya if you're willin' & able, that's all. Short on time? Drop in for just one of the 2 sessions, then. S!
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:39 pm

Maybe you remember that guy who was able to spawn into a La7.
Can u also remember if he was on Blue or Red side?

I guess I can point the problem to available Ju52s for human players.
This is ashame, as it would make german paratroopers useless, no other german flyable plane can drop those paras.However it is more important to have a defined number of planes available than the old aunt Ju.

If the bug will still be there the next mission, I know it wasnt just the Ju52... :doubt:
Neverthtless, plz make your m8s to choose a different plane or even better choose a proper airfiled, in case we will expierence that bug again.

The entries in the mission file is fine, means all Homebases are correct occupied by our default planes.
At those to spawn Ju52 the limitation doesent seem to be read by the game...well try & error...I hope it was just the Ju52.
Last edited by Nephris on Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:30 am

The La7 was on blue team, and was not an FI pilot. I don't remember the name, sorry :)
Olegs stalker

Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:29 pm

Was not a =FI= ..... :shock:
K...I fear we have to password the server sooner or later, depends on following evenings.
At the end it is not a public server in common sense, although everyone interested is of course welcome but should be known to a pilot of us, just to keep the character of our sunday evening events.
I hope that is also in your sense.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:22 pm

Nephris wrote:Was not a =FI= ..... :shock:
K...I fear we have to password the server sooner or later, depends on following evenings.
At the end it is not a public server in common sense, although everyone interested is of course welcome but should be known to a pilot of us, just to keep the character of our sunday evening events.
I hope that is also in your sense.
Probably best , IIRC the la7 pilot was -anonymos or something similar!

Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:00 am

S! Dogfighter =D]

Although we had no AI planes flying, which was my fault, after I forgot to exchange the correct class.dcg, we enjoyed tough dogfight very much. Medyn was a hot place to be today.Nevertheless I am sorry, for that bug, as the AI planes is a big part of the campaign of course.

Who of ya destroyed our last hope to push forward in the southern sector? We discovered our tank columns 1x6 ... black, destroyed...a few km in fornt of Yukhnov.

Each time I am surpirsed again, what a bad shooter me is. Useless like fish with tits on the gun....BLue gives me a snap shot ...bang... pilot kill =D] ...twice me ac got an oiled window....well I crashed a lot this evening :D

However we all enjoyed the fights a lot.

I already fixed the issue with those not existent AI planes and the Homebase (where ucan spawn a La7 on blue side etc).
Both issues were caused by a wrong entry in the class file, which determines where,what planes is able to fly in what altitude and when it gets upgrades etc pp...
But that also means we cant use civil planes like the Ju52 (as already mentioned above) and the Li-2 aswell.
Ashame, but I guess a small price to get the AI air warfare back in game.

I guess Genosse was able to fix his mission loading issue ... as we fell several times today due his weapons.
Maybe his prob has also sth to do with the wrong class.dcg ?!? Recording should be working now again ... I suppose...hope..guess...no, seriously .. could work again :D
What about Helo? Still, I offer to load the server within the week, so he could check his stuff.

The single stats are up2date as also the total situation map.
After the advances of last week we couldnt expect major frontline changes ,but red to stop our last and bloodgened troops.
It worked....expect next mission completly filled AI flights.

Intel for next sunday 24.03.
Soviet forces are concentrated around Ruza Airfield (M-13).
German forces are concentrated around Ruza Airfield (M-13).
Reports indicate that there is intense fighting at Ruza Airfield (M-13).
Heavy fighting reported at Znamenka (L-9).
Heavy fighting reported at Iznoski Airstrip (J-5).
Heavy fighting reported at Shakovskaya (K-15)
:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:50 pm

Nephris it seems that all of the mission are in the late after noon (Map/game time) and thus the sun is always in the west giving blue an advantage as red is always flying in to the sun.

Will there be a more even spread of times so that the sun is also in the East ?
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:21 pm

Yes sure. I can switch it on random again between 6h and 18h.
But that can also mean we probably start in the dark and fly into the sunlight.

Tell me when ya fed up of that snow map, as some of ours already asked for a season change.
I got middle of march (ingame; atm it is beginning of march) in view, but we can switch before of course If you also desire.
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Blue2 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:11 am

Is "random" the only other choice? I thought you could set DCG to fly something like say, 2, 3 or 4 missions per day, in chronological order, between certain hours...? Maybe that's just with coop-type missions though? I have no idea really - last campaign was too long ago to recall. If that's not an option, maybe you could make hours between say 8h and 16h instead, so less chance of darkness? Just throwing out some ideas.

As for the map, yes it can be tough but personally I prefer to follow history. Will yield to whatever others prefer though.

Yes missions were fun Sunday Nephris but TOUGH for most of us! I sure got tired of being killed, but I'm sure Wolf & Emse were happy to get some revenge! :lol: I was surprised with my luck on the previous week. As for that PK, we all get lucky once in a while right?

By now you know who the tank killer was - Mr Schwarzer Tod himself, Comrad Armitage! \:D/ (Sure to be Hero of S.U. very soon I'm sure.)

Sorry to hear we won't have the paradrop option but you're right - having AI is more important. Didn't know Genosse had a mission load issue (don't think so), however he nor I were able to record either of the missions on Sunday. So for the 2nd week in a row we couldn't "re-live" the dogfights, sadly. If you can fix that it would be nice. As for Helo, one of us can help him test his ability to fly in dogfight missions once he is ready for that - no need for you to worry about it. Don't think he's prepared quite yet, though. Will keep checking with him - we need him!

Grüß Gott!