New Orleans evacuation

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:07 pm

Hi Falcon,

I'm sorry your wife had to go back. I was watching CNN during lunch and just as I left they said that the Mayor of New Orleans hundreds maybe thousands may be dead in New Oreleans alone:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9063708/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a huge historical dissaster for the US :(

If you want to donate the Red Corss is collecting funds, but their website is going really slow: http://www.redcross.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You may not be able to get through.

I hope your youngest daughter gets better soon.

Snoop
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Rough times

Post by :FI:Genosse » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:30 pm

First of all I´m glad to hear that you and your family is doing fine, Stu. I saw the reports on German TV about the flooding and it remembered me of pictures I saw on the news from Bangladesh. It´s a real tragedy ... all the devastation done by the water and now the situation for the peeps who´re still in the city ...

I hope everything will be alright with Eileen. And I wish all the best for the other people down therw, too. Especially a very long breath for rebuilding New Orleans!

Still shocked about the dimensions of this disaster ...

:?
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Spitsfire
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Spitsfire » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:23 pm

Man, thats a downer, is everything ok at the falcon residence?
I hope its not to bad, if you like i'll come on line and play my best against you, then I get killed alot and you get pretty happy ;)
I do Geography at A level so any facts might help but dont sweat it they'll always be stuff afterwards in books and newspapers so no Q's here just get yourself sorted and I wish the family the best.

Love,
Michael.
;)
Winner of the FIS pink n'shiney,
"Gee winkies! I've been here over a year
and am still completely normal,
pookey-pookey-pookey." Award!
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:12 am

thanx again guys

Michael, you better not waste anymore time studying the geography of New Orleans man,

cuz it's changing!

<sigh>

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:15 am

Good to hear that you and your family are alright, Falc! ^:|
"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:22 pm

I am glad to hear that you and your family are safe, at least. I hope the animal portion of your family are alright as well. Stay as cool as you can.

~Snaphoo
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
arne_and
Postmaster

Post by arne_and » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:35 pm

This is just horrible.. i thought it would be some wind and some rain and some broken trees and then it would be over, but it looks like I was wrong... :( Im out of words.. But warm thoughts towards you and your family falcon. Hope noone loots your house or anything, and hope your daughter and wife will be ok. Good too see that your spirits are high too.

I have a question , what is levees?
:FI:Fenian
Just pink and fluffy

Levee

Post by :FI:Fenian » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:42 pm

It's a big wall of earth and rocks that kept the lakes of Ponchartrain out of the city of New Orleans...

In Holland they call them Dykes... in England Dykes are something entirely different.....

:oops:

Sorry to hear about all this Stu.... and I was hoping to visit someday and go on a pub crawl with you.... guess it'll have to be a front crawl to the pub instead.... :(

Hope the historic city (and everyone's homes of course) can be put to rights....

:(
_________
:FI:Fenian

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
arne_and
Postmaster

Post by arne_and » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:45 pm

Ok Fen. Now i understand where all that water came from.. :(
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:07 pm

Nope,

sorry Fen,

your definition is a wee bit off.

<a-hem>

A New Orleans levee is a long lump of sodden earth with or most likely without a skinny wall of under-spec concrete or metal rising from it.

The levee is purposefully built to withstand weak force three hurricanes if they don't actually come near and in special areas where the untended earthworks have been allowed to rustically age, (and subside two feet), can withstand mediun force two storms.

All public and governmental monies allocated for the repair, improvement and maintenance of this levee must first be distributed to local and state politicians for the proper initial dispursal into such public projects as summer homes in Maine, greens fees in South Carolina and yacht maintenance in Hawaii. After such dispursal the tax-paying citizens are then "trickled on" with any remaining funds.

When a rare summer Gulf storm does eventually hit this levee and by some strange slip of fate breaks it in at least three huge spots and flows over the top in ten other places it is then time for the politicians to wander around in confusion and tell the population that they will do everything they can to help them and may Dog bless, none of us saw this ever happening.

Fal "trickled on" con

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:05 am

I'm happy to hear that you and your family are doing ok, hope your lil daughter wil be better soon.
all the best to you Stu and the Falcon family as well as all affected by the tragedy.

Macca
ImageImageImage
Grecian
Postmaster

Post by Grecian » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:18 am

A major tragedy for the historic city of New Orleans for sure, glad to hear that you and yours are safe "Falc".

Here's hoping that your life can return to some sort of normality in the near future.

Best wishes.
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots..." Frank Spencer.

arne_and
Postmaster

Post by arne_and » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:16 am

Oh, i see.. What do you do with such politicans?

......Let them dangle underneath a tree in the end of a rope , if you ask me.. :x
Ianus
Postmaster

Post by Ianus » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:23 pm

Oh, i see.. What do you do with such politicans?
Use their friggin bodies to help repair the holes if you ask me. When you run out of dodgy one's in the US we in the UK have a "few" we would like to see put to better use..
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:35 pm

none of us saw this ever happening.
I can't believe they can say this with a f*ing straight face. But I've seen it myself.

Not only has money been miss managed, but I've read funding for the Southeast Louisiana Urban Flood Control Project, or SELA has seen large cuts in the past years.

Snoop "pissed off" Baron