PC Build Error

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

PC Build Error

Post by :FI:Noter » Sun May 01, 2011 6:24 am

Nothing is ever easy....finish the build and all seems well. I boot it up and it actually boots, I was floored, I actually did it. I still don't have a Windows OS on it yet so it's just the MB info coming up on screen. As best I could tell everything was working, turned it off and came back later just to have a look at the bios, not change anything just look at what is there. When I turn it on I can see that just after the mobo logo and hardware screen it briefly blinks "No Hard Disk Detected!" After which the screen reads, "Reboot & select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device & press any key to continue."

I have no clue what is going on. I did some web searches, but don't feel like I've seen anything with a clear cut answer. Most suggestions are to make the CD drive the boot drive, I did that and still get the same error message. I can press the "Delete" key during the bootup and still get to the BIOS.

In the Advance mode SATA Mode is set to AHCI
SATA6G_1 Hitiachi HDD(so it sees the drive)
SATA6G-2 TS5 Cd (it's seeing this one too)

Boot Setup under Advanced
BootUp Numlock State - On
Full Screen Logo - Enabled
Wait for F1 Error - Enabled
Option ROM Message - Force BIOS
SetUp Mode - EZ

Boot Option Priorities
Boot #1 - P1 Hitachi HDD
Boot #2 - TS5 CD

It appears it is seeing the HDD and CD drive, both drives are SATA 3Gb, but plugged into the 6Gb, I just wanted to use the SATA 1 and SATA 2 connections even though they are 6Gb. I read where that was ok to do.

The MB is an ASUS P8P67 Pro and the BIOS is version 2.00.1201

Baffled at this point, not sure why it worked the first time, and now this error. Any help would be greatly, hugely, stupendously appreciated. Any other info that I can give to help you help me just let me know.

Matt
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Re: PC Build Error

Post by :FI:Noter » Sun May 01, 2011 7:14 am

Keep reading that is seems the drive might be bad, or cables not connected, but then why would it show up and seem to be read in the BIOS, it tells me the drive name and the size. Stumped, I'm gonna keep reading and see what I can find.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sun May 01, 2011 11:37 am

Don't Panic!

Out of the box HD's are not bootable.If they show up on BIOS screens then connections are good.
Installing OS will write MBR (Master Boot Record) to the disc. It looks like your rig is trying to boot an as yet non-existent OS.
6 Gb? surely you mean 600? my skins folder is 10Gb.
With ASUS boards/BIOS you can only select one boot device at a time (at least that's how it works on mine), so you'll probably need to enable boot DVD/CD rom to install OS, and then enable your chosen boot drive.

Still stuck ? thn try http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Sun May 01, 2011 5:34 pm

Thanks for the reply Sneaky. The empty HD not being bootable makes sense, but I still don't understand why I didn't get this error the first time I started the machine and why it is showing up now. I followed another guys pc build on youtube and when he started his system (without the os) he didn't get this error either. I hope to get Windows 7 tomorrow and I will try and install it and see how it progresses. I'm sure you're right and having an os will resolve the issue.

Here is the link for the pc build that I followed on youtube. It's a two hour video so forward to his boot up part (1:47:20).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUY0tP5j ... ture=feedf
:FI:Mikester
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Mikester » Sun May 01, 2011 9:51 pm

Turn off the Marvel controller in Bios. You must be using the intel controller as I am. Because the marvel controller is enabled it's expecting a HD to be connected.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Mon May 02, 2011 3:48 am

Disabled Marvel controller as suggested Mikester. I no longer get the post about "No hard disk detected", it's a quick flash of a screen that a hummingbird couldn't pick out, but am still getting the "Reboot & select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device & press any key to continue."

Hopefully installing the OS will solve this, that and several Hail Mary's and Our Father's. Really want this to work, the confidence is waining after it going so well initially. I know Sneaky, I'm still calm, just not as confident.
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Mon May 02, 2011 4:00 am

Dude.
I had exactly the same problem.
Select the Cd/DVD as your #1 Boot Device and install your OS and you should be good to go.
If you wish, you can change the Boot priority back to your HD. It will speed up your boot time by a few seconds, but won't have much effect otherwise.
If your OS is 64-bit don't forget to install 64-bit drivers (download if necessary) for your sound and video cards.
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Mon May 02, 2011 4:06 am

:)
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Mon May 02, 2011 5:50 am

Thanks Helo. gonna get Windows 7 tomorrow, I have to figure this out. Fingers crossed it works.