Post by :FI:Murph » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:00 am

"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Re: New Version of TrackIr Software

Post by :FI:Genosse » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:34 am

:FI:Murph wrote:http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/06- ... nuals.html
Includes support for trackIr3 pro.
Thank you for the heads up but this version doesn't seem to work on my machine (TrackIR 4 Pro here on 64 bit Windows 7) ... :?
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:34 am

It works on mine. TrackIr 3 pro, Windows 7 64 bit. I needed to follow the install instructions carefully- uninstall any older versions of the software and unplug the trackIr before installing, run the installer, then plug it in and let windows find it again.
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:46 am

:FI:Murph wrote:It works on mine. TrackIr 3 pro, Windows 7 64 bit. I needed to follow the install instructions carefully- uninstall any older versions of the software and unplug the trackIr before installing, run the installer, then plug it in and let windows find it again.
Did that and it really worked out for me ... ty, Tim! :)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:30 pm

So ... what are the improvements that would make it worth updating?

thx

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:41 am

Full support for 64 bit systems, more sensitive and more fine-tunable.
You can always uninstall it and go back to your previous version if you don't like it.
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:58 am

Question: What version did you install, and will it work with my old TIR 3 unit?

Another Question: In which directory did you install it?

Default directory for all versions from v3.13 to v5.1 is in Program Files (x86).
Odd place for a 64-bit version.

I have DL'd and installed all versions from v3.13 to v5.1 alternately in the (x86) directory and the Program Files directory and not one of them was able to get me to connect with my IR unit.
The best response I got was with v4.1.038 and that was a message telling me the driver did not install correctly... :evil:

So my TIR 3 is still TU, and as stated elsewhere, the Natural Point techs are a waste of perfectly good oxygen.
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:40 pm

Dan I cannot speak to your question, but I can confirm that Program Files (x86) is the new Program Files directory for Windows 7. Having said that, there is also a Program Files directory, which for some of my programs contains sub-directories in each. Perhaps some kind of legacy directory? Maybe. I noticed though certain 64-bit programs installing to both so maybe not. In short, I suspect the TIR program only installs in (x86) directory (plus it drivers are in the System directory under Windows as usual).

TS!
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:20 am

My software is installed to the "86" program files directory as well. It's very important that the hardware not be plugged in when you install the software. Have you tried uninstalling the software, including any earlier versions, unplugging the TrackIr, reinstalling the new software and then plugging it back in for windows to find? You may even want to try rebooting between the uninstall and the install as well as before plugging back in.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Heloego » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:41 am

OK, here goes...
Note: My unit is the original TIR3, not the Pro.

1. Verified the TIR3 unit works by moving it to my XP 32-bit machine and installing the v3.13 software and performing a functional check. Worked like a charm. Installing the v3 to the W7 machine notably would not install any driver files.
2. On W7 64-bit machine verified no trace of the v4.1.038final or any other version of TIR software exists either in system or registry files. Used CCleaner and Smart Defrag 2 to clean up and optimize the system.
3. With TIR unit disconnected from machine I installed the v4.1.038final software to the Default (x86) directory. Verified the driver files "npusbio.inf" and "npusbio.sys", and "npusbio_x64.inf" and "npusbio.sys" are present.
4. Re-booted machine. Connected the TIR3 unit. Nothing.
5. Checked Device Manager and noted "Naturalpoint Devices>Naturalpoint Track IR 5" now listed. Go figure. Still no notification from W7 that drivers have been installed.
6. Double-Clicked the Desktop Icon. Got a swirling arrow for a secondm then nothing. Checked Task Manager to see what was happening and noted the process running was TrackIR.exe*32! (Does that mean it's runing a 32-bit .exe? Might explain why nothings working!) Ended process.
7. After multiple attempts was able to get driver manually installed, though first W7 told me a) it may not work and could cause instability in the system, then b) the driver installed successfully.
8. Still no joy. Won't even light up.

I went through all the steps above multiple times using the "v4.1.038final" and "v4.xx.xxx9841" (thoughtfully provided by a USER in the Naturalpoint Forums ) with only one notable difference between the install...the ".9348" version actually allowed W7 to notify me of new hardware. Otherwise, nada, same nothing all over again.

Why this has worked for others, but not me is a mystery.

At this point it looks like I have a few options, none particularly desirable:
1. Grovel and beg the missus to graciously allow me to purchase a newer TIR, or
2. Dump W7 64-bit and go retro with XP pro 32 (would have to find it first), or
3. Dump W7 64-bit and get a copy of W7 Home Premium 32-bit.

Unless someone has another, less expensive suggestion. :)
:FI:Wardog
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wardog » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:54 am

Have you tried installing the Track IR software in compatability mode?
Kev
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:15 pm

I'd go with the new Track Ir- It's still cheaper than going to an inferior OS, especially since you've already paid for this one.
I have the Pro version, maybe that's the difference? Otherwise I'm fresh out of ideas.
Just a final thought; have you checked "run as administrator" in the program's properties? Sometimes that works, or running in compatibility mode.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:09 pm

:FI:Wardog wrote:Have you tried installing the Track IR software in compatability mode?
Kev
There is no compatability mode for drivers.

Someone did suggest Virtual achine mode

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:36 am

If I right-click the TIR icon on my desktop and choose "properties", then "compatibility", it gives me a bunch of options, including "run in compatibility mode" with a drop down box for choosing a mode based on a different OS, such as XP.
I'm not using it currently, but I do have "run as administrator" checked.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Heloego » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:38 am

Tried your suggestions, Tim, and thanks for trying.
Running as Admin, and setting compatibiity mode for XP SP3 didn't help.
Went into Properties and edited the permissions for Admin, Dan Lawrence, etc. to allow full control, but "no go" there either.
Even tried connecting to a USB 2.0 slot for the hell of it. Same BS.
Doesn't seem to matter which drivers I use, the OS just won't recognize any of them.

Looks like a new TIR is on my horizon, but not anytime soon. I'll probably be available for the Friday Session, but handicapped using the Hat Switch.

:evil: