What to practice?

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
evilerny
Beginner

What to practice?

Post by evilerny » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:07 am

I see that you are all flying the Battle of Britain Campaign but what aircraft should I practice on my off time? Spits, Hurricanes, 109's, etc? Seeing how I pretty much suck at all of them, I need the practice.
:FI:Wolfhound
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Re: What to practice?

Post by :FI:Wolfhound » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:19 am

were in hurri's and mk 1 spits at the mo,give them a bash ,
dec
"i will give thee a dog which i got in ireland. He is huge of limb,and for a follower equal to any man,Moreover, he hath a man's wit and will bark at thine enemy's but never at thy friends. He will see by each man's face whether he be ill or well disposed toward thee. He will give down his life foe thee. (The Icelandic Saga of Nial,c . AD 970-1014

evilerny
Beginner

Post by evilerny » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:22 am

Ok, sounds good, thanks. Ok edit: I was looking at Il2 compare and I was looking at the stats for The Hurricane Mk 1 and the Spit VB (the closest comparable fight) to the Bf-109E4 and while the Spit had some advantages over the 109, the Hurricane is "beat" in most aspects.
Now please correct me if I'm wrong but (focusing on the Hurricane) the Hurricane has a slightly better turn radius than the 109 but at very slow speeds making it an easy target for faster moving fighters. Plus to bleed off that much airspeed to use the one and only advantage over the 109 may work for a small time but to maintain that would be suicide. So, other than staying in pairs and covering the tail of your wingman (a must) are there any tricks to beating the 109?
:FI:Wardog
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wardog » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:24 pm

Yep make sure your first shots count :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wardog ^:) :beer: :beer: :beer:
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:08 pm

Ah, yes, our beloved Hurricanes. It's a bloody miracle England didn't end up speaking German. We've gotten better, but the surest way to deal with the 109 is to avoid them, leave 'em to the Spits, if that doesn't work, make sure you're over friendly territory so when you have to bail you'll get picked up...;) :lol:
:FI:McBiggles
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:McBiggles » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:57 pm

What to practice...depending on 'sea-state' the backstroke is an elegant way to make for shore. Bit tough in the vest right enough. You'll have to kick off the boots too. If it's calm you can 'crawl' for hours.
What? Oh flying practice. I shouldn't worry too much about that. I never seem to fly for very long.
Takeoff, landing, crashes, that sort of thing will see you through.
We are getting better as Noter said. We have however few illusions anymore about what we can do in these machines so we are trying to work to their strengths. Well, we're still trying to find some of them.
But when we do! It'll be ime to go to Spits.
Hope you can join us.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sence of tragedy, which sustained him, through temporary periods of joy.
W.B. Yeats
evilerny
Beginner

Post by evilerny » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:25 am

I am actually very good at all three skills you listed and I perform some pretty amazing tricks:

Takeoff Trick - "The survivor"
Crashing Trick - "Changing your pants mid-flight"
Landing Trick - "360 Face-Plant"
:roll:
AnaKonda
Beginner

Post by AnaKonda » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:41 am

Well, when flying planes armed with light machine guns only, you need to get familiar with gunnery with them.

Hurri I is still easy, due its mg's are in tight packs of 4, but dweebfeuer I has them spread all along wing, so you are very
dependad of gunnery and convergence.

Theyre still both good match for 109 E1-E4 where again spitV is already overkill vs them in capabilities
Luck is the most important factor, skill just helps luck to work better
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:56 pm

Welcome to the boards, evilerny!

I'm sure you'll do fine, unlike the rest of us. #-o

Join in on Friday nights (8:00pm Central) and bask under the direction of the famous but unrenowned McBiggles. ;)
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x