Whats it like holdig a Gun?

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Conman
Postmaster
Location: Brockford, Suffolk, England, U.K., Europe, Earth, mil

Whats it like holdig a Gun?

Post by :FI:Conman » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:23 pm

Going shooting in the morning (atc not hunting) and just wondering if anyone knows what the expirence is like if not ill tell you tommorow (mind you ill tell you anyway)
many thanks

Conman
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Re: Whats it like holdig a Gun?

Post by :FI:Noter » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:36 pm

I am no expert, only been shooting once, went with my buddies about six months ago. I had a great time. Started off with a 9mm, then up to a .45. The kick wasn't too bad, you get used to it after a couple of shots. It was quite nerve racking those first shots, but you get more comfortable with each pull of the trigger. Mucho respect for the firearm. The gun was always pointed downrange, we had lots of safety rules to follow.

My first impression was how incredibly loud it was, even with the hearing protection. Holy crap was it LOUD. You do get used to the noise too though. We were in an indoor range by the way.

A guy in the range next to us was shooting a .357, it wasn't much louder than the 9mm or .45, but you could feel the concusion from each shot through the range wall. The 9 and 45 don't do that. That was pretty neat and unexpected.

A bachelor party came in and rented a full auto Uzi and Thompson. The Thompson had a slow rate of fire, the Uzi much faster. I watched one guy use the Uzi, he moved the target, a human silhouette, about 25 yards out (I'm guessing, I couldn't see it from my angle). He unloaded the clip and looked to be all over the place. He brought the target back in... and not a single shot had hit the silhouette. Had a nice chuckle, not that anyone could hear me.

Be safe, respect the weapon, and have fun. I'm trying to get the guys to go back, we just can't come up with a time we can all go, and I need them to go, as I don't own a gun. Really want to try some of the automatic weapons too.

Some military guys on the site will have some much better input, but this was my experience.
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:23 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

I've shot about everything from a "Ma Deuce" to a BB gun. .75 cal muzzle loaders to air rifles. The Ma Deuce is the Browning .50 Cal M2. Same gun as was in the wings of most WWII Us fighters. Hell of a piece of machinery is all I have to say. Capable of hitting a man sized target at 2 miles!

Here's me and one of my old grin machines

.30 cal M1 Garand made in 1942.

It's not a big deal. WEAR EAR PROTECTORS!! So you don't end up half deaf like I am. :? Like I said WEAR EAR PROTECTORS!!! :p I don't care if you are shooting a .22. Wear 'em. Eye protection isn't a bad idea either. Pistols are loud, centerfire rifles are louder.

Get comfortable with the gun, get a good sight picture, take a moderately deep breath, let about half of it out, SQUEEZE the trigger thingy. Ideally, you shouldn't know exactly when the gun is going off. Don't take me literally here, I mean after you get all ready to shoot. :roll:

If it is a larger caliber rifle, like a .30 or so, don't wrap your thumb around the stock's pistol grip. Look at the lower picture of my right thumb. You can wrap it around the wrist of the stock and it can break your nose quite nicely if you want. :badgrin:

Above all, be safe and have fun.

W
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

:FI:Airway
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Airway » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:14 pm

An M1 Garand made in 1942??? :shock:
Image ImageImage
Jimbo23
Beginner

Post by Jimbo23 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:23 pm

Lookin good with that beauty on yer arm Willie.
Thank god for the right to keep and bear :D
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:43 pm

Jimbo23 wrote:Lookin good with that beauty on yer arm Willie.
Thank god for the right to keep and bear :D
Thanks!! :D

As for keepin' and bearin'? I figure that is gonna a hard fight to maintain for the next few years. :(
:FI:Airway wrote:An M1 Garand made in 1942??? :shock:
Went all through the Pacific "island hopping" campaign with a 2nd Class Petty Officer in the USN Sea Bees. When the war was over, Uncle Homer forgot to give it back.

Homer was killed in a crop dusting accident by Uncle Freddy in 1952. Homer was taking pictures of Freddy as Freddy was spraying a cotton field. Homer didn't duck in time and the left main mount of the Stearman Freddy was flying took Homer's head off. :( Uncle Freddy flew B-17's over Europe and was a guest of the Reich for two and half years. He willed me the rifle in '98 when he passed on.

66 years old and works just like a brand new one. :D
Last edited by :FI:WillieOFS on Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:16 pm

:FI:WillieOFS wrote: ... As for keepin' and bearin'? I figure that is gonna a hard fight to maintain for the next few years. :(
Oh Willie, be serious. You live in flippin' Texas! "... cold dead hands" and all that. As for me, I was born in Kentucky. My first toys were a pacifier, a ducky and a .22.

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Wildcat
Professional Boardie

Post by Wildcat » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:18 pm

Try living in the UK...

I'm a keen airsofter and I have to practically smuggle my airsoft guns around. The Violent Crimes Reduction bill is rediculous and solves nothing.

I had lots of Lego as a kid lmao.
Up there the world is divided into bastards and suckers. Make your choice.

That's not flying, that's just falling with style.

What is that mountain goat doing way up here in the clouds?

Death is just nature's way of telling you to watch your airspeed.

Hey, everybody — watch this!

I am not afraid of crashing, my secret is . . . just before we hit the ground, I jump as high as I can.
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:21 pm

Now don't forget the b-ball we were given. Kentucky state law mandates all boys be given and play with basketballs until it has been determined if they are qualified to play for either UK or UL ;) .
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:03 am

:FI:Falcon wrote:
:FI:WillieOFS wrote: ... As for keepin' and bearin'? I figure that is gonna a hard fight to maintain for the next few years. :(
Oh Willie, be serious. You live in flippin' Texas! "... cold dead hands" and all that. As for me, I was born in Kentucky. My first toys were a pacifier, a ducky and a .22.

Falcon
Yep, I figger his friends will want to start here. When the smoke clears and it gets quiet and the remaining heads are counted, then they'll decide if they want to continue with that folly. :badgrin:

I'll do my part to contribute to the noise and smoke. 8)

jacobdb
Beginner

Post by jacobdb » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:51 pm

try live in holland! you never ever get one change of holding a rifle of gun. i have even never seen one in RL. :oops: :? they are very, very illegal here. you can get in jail if you have one.
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:18 am

That Garand's a beaut, Willie!

Hell, with the Obameter peggin out due to the "sweeping tax cuts" :roll: you oughta be able to save up for another!

Oh boy! That extra $20.00 every month really gave my bank account a boost! :roll:
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:46 am

:FI:Heloego wrote:That Garand's a beaut, Willie!

Hell, with the Obameter peggin out due to the "sweeping tax cuts" :roll: you oughta be able to save up for another!

Oh boy! That extra $20.00 every month really gave my bank account a boost! :roll:
Read the fine print on that sweeping tax cut. We'll have to pay it ALL back next year. Had to decrease my dependents by one so I wouldn't have to pay the SOB's out of pocket next year like I did this one. :? I try to break even on the withholding thing. I see no sense in letting them hold my money without paying interest. So my tax refund is usually pretty low. My "kiss" from the Barnett Shale lease cost me over $800 more in taxes than I had planned for.

Oh well. Those banks need that money to pay their help and the Queen (NO silly NOT Barney Franks even though he is a queen as well) needs her professional make up person so she can strut her stuff when she's out eating $100 a LB steak in Chicago with the annointed one . ;)

Buy more ammo.

:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:25 am

Been quite run on ammo here in NM. Getting scarce as hens' teeth! And EXPENSIVE due to demand exceeding supply.

Seen a few blurbs and sound bites about the Texas Gov almost, but not quite advocating secession. Is it true it would only take a 2/3 vote by the Legislature to do it? =D]
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:16 am

Ol' Rick Perry will say ANYTHING that he thinks will get him attention. He had a good point about the 10th amendment and was using Texas' supposed right to secede to throw some weight behind what he said.

Texas will never go for it. It's too well married into the money from the Fed. ;)

Several views as to whether it can secede or not. I have no idea. We've got enough firepower to make it interesting and we do have the Confederate Air Force ( err the now politically correct COMMEMORATIVE Air Force). :badgrin: