Hi!

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Wildcat
Professional Boardie

Hi!

Post by Wildcat » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:39 am

Hi everybody

Recently got 1946 as the first flight sim for years that I've played.... yes, late I know! Starting to play through some solo campaigns and try to get the hang of the game, but interested in playing with people online. Been looking at various websites for Squadrons and this one seems noob friendly :)

I have no idea of the best way to get online, especially since the "Join Server" on mulitplayer never seems to pick anything up (supported by Ubi anymore?!)

Any advice would be great. Are there any prefered aircraft that are used regularly? I need practice on them all, but I would like to focus if possible!

In the real World I'm 27, married with a kid on the way. Looking for something to do in the evenings other than WoW!

Cheers

Wildcat
Up there the world is divided into bastards and suckers. Make your choice.

That's not flying, that's just falling with style.

What is that mountain goat doing way up here in the clouds?

Death is just nature's way of telling you to watch your airspeed.

Hey, everybody — watch this!

I am not afraid of crashing, my secret is . . . just before we hit the ground, I jump as high as I can.
:FI:Sacktime
Forum Junky

Re: Hi!

Post by :FI:Sacktime » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:26 am

:wink2: Welcome to the Fighting Irish Forum Wildcat! :wink2:
this one seems noob friendly
We are most definatly noob friendly, and more than eager to help out fellow IL2 pilots.
1. If you haven't already, get the 4.08m patch
2. If your looking for some online play then you need to get Hyperlobby here Hyperlobby Client

Once you get that installed choose a callsign and password and choose "Forgotten Battles". The program will ask you for the directory that your IL2 1946 is installed, you can either let it search or you can manually enter the location.
When that is all setup you will never again wonder where all the online play is, there are normally hundreds of players online and dozens of servers! You will find Fighing Irish squad mates here with the =FI= prefix

We here at the Fighing Irish use Teamspeak, to talk amoungst ourselfs, if you get this just come back and ask and someone will PM you our server and password so you can hook up.

We normally fly co-op missions on Wednesday, Friday nights and Sunday afternoon, or if you want to book some flight training just post your request here and we'll see what we can set up, with members from around the world someone is normally available to help out no matter the time zone, there are some incredibly gifted pilots here (or I'm a incredibly bad pilot ;) )

Warning though, Hyperlobby servers normally fly Realistic! (Don't get cold feet, threw me off too when I started out, but I can't play it any other way now)

hmm I'm sure I could boggle your mind with MODS, skins, nose art, misson building and, all the other things the IL2 community has brought to the game, but lets just start with getting our feet wet first, ok.

Once Again Welcome Wildcat, looking forward to seeing you. (My first session with the FI, these crazy guys restarted the mission three times as I couldn't take off with out stalling and crashing :oops: )
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Wildcat
Professional Boardie

Post by Wildcat » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:50 am

Hi, thanks for the welcome :)

Managed to get the patch, teamspeak and HL all set up - I'm pretty useless with PCs so this is something of a big event lol.

I'm going to go and practice on realistic. Taking off isn't too bad and I can land and (mostly) walk away from it - just usually missing the wheels....

Look forwards to seeing and flying with everybody soon.

Wildcat

I am not afraid of crashing, my secret is . . . just before we hit the ground, I jump as high as I can.
:FI:Wardog
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wardog » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:25 pm

Hey Wildcat

Glad to see that sacktime has filled you in on Hyperlobby and teamspeak :) For our Wednesday and sunday sessions we have been using the 4.09 bm1 moded version of the game with a couple of other mods added which we can help you out with if you can get onto teamspeak tomorow at 6:30-7:00pm GMT that way we can hopefully get you sorted out before we fly ;)

Another tip for you is we get all our mods from a site called "All Aircraft Arcade". Do a search for it on google and sign yourself up so you can download any mods that are needed espesially the 4.09 unified installer.(this downloads something like 90% of the mods we use and comes with a switcher to go between running 4.08 and 4.09).

I know it seems like a load of stuff to remember and do but if you need any help just shout and someone will talk you through it. :D

Lastly we all tend to use a piece of kit like track IR which allows you to move your pilots head in the direction you want without using a POV hat switch on your flightstick. It does cost a bit but believe me it is well worth it for serious fliers. ;)

Well that is enough for now without bombarding you too much hopefully LOL all that remains for me to say is welcome and hope to hearand fly with you soon ^:) :beer: :beer: :beer:
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Sacktime » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:32 pm

Exellent Wildcat.

As Wardog mentioned (If he confused you or scared you, don't worry, he gets grumpy when we haven't let him out for his morning walk :lol: ).

But ya we fly 4.08m, but lately we have been dabling into the world of MODS and version 4.09b1m.

Are ya ready? As Wardog said go to All Aircraft Arcade
And download the "Unified Installer" its big, like a Gig in size. You can then either install it, or as Wardog said we can get you setup with Team Speak (TS) and talk you through it before we fly tomorrow.
Wildcat
Professional Boardie

Post by Wildcat » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:40 pm

Thanks for the info :)

I think I might need talking through it, my brain is pretty taxed setting up HL and actually getting it to work and allow me to join games....

....that and realising just how bad I am on realistic, even at attacking bombers lol. More practice methinks!

I'll attempt the download later after a few beers ;)

Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Sacktime » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:05 pm

Wildcat wrote:Thanks for the info :)

I think I might need talking through it, my brain is pretty taxed setting up HL and actually getting it to work and allow me to join games....

....that and realising just how bad I am on realistic, even at attacking bombers lol. More practice methinks!

I'll attempt the download later after a few beers ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: I understand. What I did when learning the ropes in realistic, is pick a pilot friendly plane. The A6M* series are pretty good, as well as the Yak series. And just fly with no enemy planes. I like the Crimea map, it has Factory smoke stacks to fly between, bridges to fly under, I even like screaming down some of the long streets. Once you get a little comfortable with that run up a quick mission with 1 enemy plane...say the C-47, ya it has no guns but it gives you a target. Oh ya the Crimea map has a dirt airfield near the town that you can practice your landings and takeoffs.
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:13 pm

Landing with the wheels missing makes it easier to get off the plane........ ;)

Keep yankin' and bankin' and flyin and dyin'. You'll get the hang of it. :D

Lots of old farts.. err distinguished gents to help and give sage advice. :badgrin:
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

Wildcat
Professional Boardie

Post by Wildcat » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:03 pm

Been doing lots of both, and even daring to fight a fighter one on one, mano-o-mano. Granted, it was Gladiator Mk1 and I was in a Hurricane, but it was a fighter than shot back (with slightly too much success!).

Actually went online on the Skies Of Fire server which was a steep learnign curve - saying that, I didn't die as quickly as I thought I would and I got a kill, although how is a mystery....

Really looking forwards to flying and learning with you all :)

:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:26 am

Wildcat wrote:Been doing lots of both, and even daring to fight a fighter one on one, mano-o-mano. Granted, it was Gladiator Mk1 and I was in a Hurricane, but it was a fighter than shot back (with slightly too much success!).

Actually went online on the Skies Of Fire server which was a steep learnign curve - saying that, I didn't die as quickly as I thought I would and I got a kill, although how is a mystery....

Really looking forwards to flying and learning with you all :)
Ugh.. air "quake" server. :roll: You can learn the fine art of shooting over the shoulder of the guy in front of you, kill stealing ( and whining about the same ) :lol: Strange planesets and of course flying w/o the cockpit. :shock: ( I think ) I know one of those 2 SKIES OF fire or valor has open cockpit available.

We fly "closed cockpit". Not trying to sound snooty, but it adds more realism to the game. Can be VERY frustrating while learning too. AND there is nothing wrong with gettin online and mixing it up real people. Even a poor opponent has more tricks than most of Oleg's AI

War Clouds recently switched to 4.09b1 for some strange reason, BUT they do have a download that will update your game, install a switcher and let you run either 4.08 or 4.09b1 though Hyperlobby. The guys that fly there are pretty tough, but you will find a lot more serious competitor than the "frag queens" you can find at a lot of the servers nowadays,

Their download is available at www.war-clouds.com if you want to mess with it.

Wait till you start with the modded game version........... #-o :lol:
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

:FI:Airway
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Airway » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:37 am

Hello Wildcat!

Welcome aboard of the forums.

I see the guys are already with you, so I hope to see you up in the air soon!

Take care,
Airway
Image ImageImage
Wildcat
Professional Boardie

Post by Wildcat » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:10 am

Thanks for the welcome :)

Could somebody send me the Teamspeak info? I'm hoping to be online this evening to meet you all.

So I take it you all fly a mix of 4.08 and 4.09b1? Might have to ge tthat DL then lol. My poor head...... either getting complicated or too many beers :P

:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:35 pm

Wildcat wrote:... Looking for something to do in the evenings other than WoW!
Do we have a game for you!

Welcome to the forums,

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Airway
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Airway » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi Wildcat!

Check your PM's :)

Airway
Image ImageImage
Wildcat
Professional Boardie

Post by Wildcat » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:32 pm

Hehehe, spent the day on Spits v 109s, man I love this game....

Thanks for the PM :)

Cheers for the welcome Falcon!

Looking forwards to speaking to some of you tonight :)

Wildcat