My first Skin

Painters and skinners. Somewhere to show off skins and look for artistic inspiration.
:FI:Sacktime
Forum Junky

My first Skin

Post by :FI:Sacktime » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:10 pm

This is not done.

It is just a sample of what I'm messing with trying to get the hang of photoshop. The roundels on the sides are a little warped, no weathering effects or details (other than the case of beer behind the pilot), and my overlays to give the paint job some texture are not showing very well. I've been using the template Falcon gave me as a teaching aide, so if you see anything familiar the credit goes to him. If any of you skinners have any points hammer away, good and the bad, I can't get any better with out some constructive criticism.

Thanks in advance.
Sacktime.

:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Re: My first Skin

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:29 pm

:FI:Sacktime wrote:my overlays to give the paint job some texture are not showing very well.
Play around with other "Layer modes" (Exclusion, difference soft light etc.) and opacity.

It looks quite a dark paint job, maybe some lighting effects.
Sometimes a lighter base "undercoat" can help, allowing you to adjust topcoat opacity.
good for adding scratches and chips in the paintwork too.
See the remarks on "rivet layers" in my P51 post (yes, I've been doing that a long time Stu ;) )

Perhaps some white rivet layers ( about 4-7% opacity) would help on the upper wings and fuselage.

Looking good though.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:57 pm

:FI:Sacktime wrote:... I can't get any better with out some constructive criticism. ...
Nononono....no!

The way you get better is do 10000 skins and find your own techniques.

But this first skin is WAAAY better than my first try.

~ You don't want to see it. ~

Study more templates.

Your lines and line blurs underneath seem much darker than those on top because of the light/medium gray under-paint background. Make separate layers for lines, rivets, hatches, etc that will be in areas of significantly different colors to adjust them appropriately.

Best advise I can give is to make opacity your friend. If it looks good, lower the opacity 10-15% and see if that looks better. Still okay? Lower it some more. That will help paint look more realistic, lighter and those rounds less like plastic stickers.

Oh yeah, and what my design teachers learn-e-ated me in school:

-less is more.

-Dog is in the detail.

Keep-ah goin'! Lookin' good!

Falcon

PS: ... and yeah, that criticism thing is good too.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:30 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote:
:FI:Sacktime wrote:... I can't get any better with out some constructive criticism. ...
. Make separate layers for lines, rivets, hatches, etc that will be in areas of significantly different colors to adjust them appropriately.

Best advise I can give is to make opacity your friend. .
And "Duplicate layer" is your bestest best friend. (along with save- frequently!)

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:33 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote:~ You don't want to see it. ~
AW, go on , I'll show you mine if you show me yours :badgrin:

Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:19 pm

:FI:Sneaky_Russian wrote:... AW, go on , I'll show you mine if you show me yours ...

Wellll okay, but don't tell anyone else, right?

My earliest works were burned by an outraged 'Mother's Neighborhood Protection' group and others were taken away by a creepy government agency ... I don't remember much after that,

but here are two of the earliest surviving designs. Everyone in my family had to have their own ride.

I'm not showing the pink one!

Fal "Men in Bla... huh?" con

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:32 pm

Yeah , but nothing this bad:- :lol:

The "Other" stuff was copied onto a floppy disc and and taped to the driver magnet of my bass amp speaker.

Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:15 pm

Whoa!

Man, I think I just had a flashback.

Hendrix is ... d-dead?

:FI:Gadje
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:59 am

Those will do just fine with a No 33 thanks Gents. :shock:

Maybe we could use them in a Post-Modernism v Abstract Expressionism match-up on Sunday?

And for the following Sunday how about a 'Pop Art takes on the Bauhaus' furball?. (dark shades compulsory!)

Its time to bring some 'aye kulchar' to IL-2 . =D]

Looking good for a first skin M8.