For all you salty Sea Dogs....

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

For all you salty Sea Dogs....

Post by AltarBoy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:15 pm

...here is a custom mission I did for SH4. Lots of aerial action and with an historical backdrop of the Japanese air attack on Cavite Naval Base and the sinking of the first US sub-the USS- Sealion. I know that Gen hasn't gotten feedback from you guys on an official SH4 segment yet, so I hope this whet your appetites. :)

http://hosted.filefront.com/altarboy

Note: This will look great if you have the ROW mods installed, especially the special effects... here...

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=126875

...dunno if you have to sign up. A great naval site.
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:42 pm

I can't test the mission ATM as I don't have access to my dektop PC.

However, I want to express my viow on the mentioned Silent Hunter section.

When Silent Hunter III was released quite a few of the FIs bought the game and we were doing some COOPs online from time to time.Online attack on convoys was really cool, but somehow we got bored after some time.The best one can get from the Silent Hunter series is single player campaign, as nobody hurries you up, the player can do manual/automated/whatever targetting he desires,etc, take his time, and so on. As Il-2 is a much faster game, even if these planes are just these putt-putt ones, it has more action and so on. I believe these were the reasonbs thet the Fighting Irish Flotilla has never been established. If you browse some of the Silent Hunter III threads on FIS or FIP boards you will even see proposed emblem for the Flotilla.
Really, I think best way to experience SH is single player and it is fantastic what Rabitski is doing - his After Action Reports are very enjoyable reads IMHO and show how cool this games are. Anyone who wants to start with SH series can ask him or Gen or any of the lads who are playing it. I reckon that there is no enough interes in plauing the game among the FI community to create such section. If someone needs some serious SH support - http://www.subsim.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , which is absolutely wonderful and you know this website well.

My 5 cents.

Mac
ImageImageImage
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:36 pm

Yeah, I'm a member there too Mac. Not so much online I was looking for but a section for our own mods, custom missions, screenshots,discussions, skins, etc. It was just an idea for us blokes to occupy our time until BoB comes out. I even heard an add-on with u-boats will be out for SH-4 soon.

If no interest no biggie. Love this naval sim and addictive as hell. Been fiddling around and coming up with mods of my own in whatever free time I have.

Altar-Where's the bloody anchor?- Boy.
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:59 pm

Well, I think you can post your mods at Subsim, too, there you'll have much more feedback on them;)

M
ImageImageImage
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:04 pm

Well, it's apparent no interest is forthcoming.

Next!
:FI:Ghost
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Ghost » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:18 pm

Hey Alty! As I can see, you are a huge fan of SH4... Well, I was just wondering, since I haven't had a chance to play it myself, how is it different than SH 3? (Well, apart from the fact that you are in charge of a USN submarine)... I have SH 3 with many, many mods so I'd just like to get a feedback from someone who has played SH3 and now plays SH4, if you know what I mean...
*Bury me at sea where no murdered ghosts can haunt me, if I rock upon the waves then no corpse can lay upon me*
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:22 pm

:FI:AltarBoy wrote:Well, it's apparent no interest is forthcoming.

Next!
There is interest and not just in SH. Be patient! We are old our brains work slowly... we need to cogitate

That said, do post at subsim anyway. If they are good ideas then they can use them more than we can!

G
I fear no beer

:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:32 am

:FI:Gurberly wrote:... our brains work slowly... we need to cogitate ...

Yeah, and we need to think some too!

Falkun

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:59 pm

You guys kill me! :lol:

Boris, SH4 is damn well addictive even better that SH3. Even a talented modder at SubSim is chucking in the towel 'cause his personal life was fading away because modding was taking long hours to do. And yeah I harrass the stuffing out of members there too! :lol: The stock game is full of bugs but patch 1.4 has fixed some. There is a u-boat add-on coming soon. The modders did the rest which saved the sim from Davy Jones Locker. This sim can be modded a million ways. One of our late members - Leovampire was the top dog in modding. His environmental mods are amazing! If you get your hands on it you'll like it. :)
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:17 pm

Yes, Lovampire's mods - Reflections on the Water are cool, looking fantabulous, , but they change graphics, nothing more. I can reccomend Run Silent Run Deep camapign layers mod, brillioant, fixes loads of stiff campaign related.

And THIS makes a difference.

;)

MAc
ImageImageImage
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:32 pm

Yes, You have to use Run Silent Run Deep Campaign mod- it changes the stock campaigns with a more realistic one with realistic traffic.

Try either Real Fleet Boat or Trigger Maru Mod- based on your tastes. The first one is for hardcore subbers like me and the other is half is played for fun. I use Something called MulitSH4 where you can have multiple copies of the game. I use RFB on one and TM on the other.

ROW (Reflections on the Water) mods make the game better looking.

Now, excuse me while I sink Mac's rusty old boat! :lol:
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:34 pm

Can you run RFB together with RSRD?
ImageImageImage
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:32 pm

Yeah, Mac you can. RSRDC changes the traffic in the Pacific to a more realistic one and changes over the stock campaign layers so that you don't get unrealistic patrol missions like from Pearl Harbor to way inside Japanese home waters where your fuel reserves will run dry. I get Sampan and fishing boat traffic and I also added the Airstrike mod so that Japanese planes don't attack you in the night in the early years. Natural Sinking Mechanics 3 or NSM3 changes the hit points to make ships sink by flooding compartments. So that they take longer to sink. The ships can capsize better too! I'm downloading Ducimus (That's SubSim's version of our own Falcon- yeah I give him trouble too! :lol: ) very last version of Trigger Maru. Tonight gonna test it out.