I *could* be BACK!

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Dutchman
The Unforseeable

Jackeens ???

Post by :FI:Dutchman » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:55 pm

Hey fen,

follow this posty because ther will be a learning curve !!

look at me , for crying out loud ..

;) :lol: :D

ImageImageImage
Better loose one minute in your life, than loose your life in one minute...
:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:53 pm

Greetings from the new computer! Took a couple of hours to set up but worked first time, much to my relief. It's still settling down although I'm currently clocked at 3Ghz without any problems and it's running cool. Gonna install some games this evening and finally see what IL-2 looks like at max settings. =P~

I hope I can get my X-52 and TrackIR installed and working by tonight, dying to play!
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
:FI:RULES
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:48 pm

8) nice to see you up and running Moog....

I´m running a AMD 3700+ on a good mobo....would like to OC it but know nothing....can you help?

Got a 8800GTX so the CPU is my bottle-neck...
"Ammunition clearance is a science with uncertain assumptions, based on disputed calculations. Derived from none convincing experiments carried out by persons with doubtful reliability and questioned mental capacities using instrument of doubtful precision".
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:25 pm

:FI:Moog wrote:... Gonna install some games this evening and finally see what IL-2 looks like ...
finally?

finally?!? get 'round to IL-2?

Man, your priorities are in need of an adjustment!

Glad to hear all seems well. See you Friday or Sunday?

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:28 pm

Could someone loan me TT$40,000 for a super duper DELL XPS or an Alienware Area-51 system? I'll do the dishes, mow the lawn and date one of Falcon's relatives (just hope it ain't his Uncle Foobie). :lol:

I'm still stuck with me old and dying system. Just can't afford a new one at this time. At least the wiff won't let me buy one. :cry:

Glad you got yer system up and running. :D
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!
Mutzy
Boardie

Post by Mutzy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:30 pm

Hey Moog check out this set up and let me know your opinion - have stretched the budget... a lot :cry:

Monitor
Case , PSU, processor, graphics and ram
Keyboard
Mouse

Overclockers seem to be much cheaper than Komplett.ie.
:FI:Mutzy

Aka: Zippy GorillaChunks

Yeah?
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:12 am

@Rules: Absolutely, send me more detailed info about your motherboard and RAM and I'll see what I can come up with.

@Falcon: IL-2, is that better than the first one?? ;) If I'm not there on Friday I will be on Sunday!

@Mutz: Wow, that's almost exactly the same as the one I put together, same case and all... even the monitor is one I was considering, although I ran out of money before I got around to deciding. Still using my (ailing) 21" CRT for the time being.

The system there looks great and it's guaranteed to be stable with a pre-overclock. However, if you're feeling plucky, you could shave €200 or €300 off the total price of the mainbox by itemising the components, shopping around, and assembling the thing yourself, overclock and all. It ain't that difficult and I can help you out if you need any advice. I just tried it properly for the first time and have my system running stable @ 3.2Ghz, temperatures nice and cool too.

I had the components for an entire system in the basket at Overclockers and was seconds from confirming the order when I saw the final price including VAT and shipping, so it worked out cheaper for me to buy from the other sites I mentioned in the first post.

When I have a few bob to spare I'll be getting a TFT widescreen monitor and for me the best quality/price/size tradeoff is one of two LG monitors:
LG L226WTQ-SF - 22 inch
LG L204WT - 20 inch
I had my eye on the 19" you listed but the native resolution is 1400x900 which is a little small for a screen that size. The best picture quality (physical size versus native resolution) is supposedly obtained by a 20.1" widescreen in 1650x1050, like the L204WT above. The 226 is more expensive but after seeing the comparison between 19", 20", and 22" widescreens in a shop, the 22" was calling my name and begging me to spend the extra few bob. It boasts a 2ms response time as well; that's very impressive. The best cheap option is the HannsG 19" widescreen, available in a few places. It's been getting rave reviews.

Whichever monitor you decide to go for, I've found http://www.into-lcd-monitors.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to have the best prices, especially when you factor in free 7-day delivery, or €8 for the 3-day option, and dead/stuck pixels return policy. OC.uk charges a hefty whack for delivery and you'll probably have a hard time returning a monitor if there are only one or two dead pixels.

Also you should keep an eye out in the 'computer hardware for sale' forum of http://www.adverts.ie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as there's always new stuff available in perfect working order for a fraction of the retail cost.

Good hunting!

Moog
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:38 am

:D I´m so happy that i know people who know´s how these thing´s work :lol:

Well as stated it´s a AMD Athlon64 3700+ socket 939 with current clock speed of 2224 Mhz (OC´d with UGuru)

The motherboard is a Abit AN8 32X with 2Gig of RAM.

And to giv it some punch I gave it a Gainward 8800GTX

Hope this helps, and if not I can post my DXDiag...
"Ammunition clearance is a science with uncertain assumptions, based on disputed calculations. Derived from none convincing experiments carried out by persons with doubtful reliability and questioned mental capacities using instrument of doubtful precision".
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:39 am

Check out the following thread Rules, it's a great introduction to overclocking and contains pretty much all the info I could give you, plus it's focused on AMD chips:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=22916" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have a good read through that and take some of the theory on board before you do anything else. Basically you overclock from your BIOS, right after you turn the computer on. If left alone, your BIOS will just configure your computer and boot straight to your operating system so you have to keep an eye on the screen when you turn the computer on and look for a message like 'Press DEL to enter BIOS' or something similar. If it is the delete key then press it ASAP and you'll enter your BIOS setup screen.

Every BIOS differs in details, and even on the same motherboard the BIOS can and will be updated from time to time. In general it's best to run the latest BIOS, downloadable from your mobo's website. But in general they give you options to alter the voltage going to your VCore, CPU, RAM, and other bits and pieces. Pumping more electricity into your computer makes it hotter, so you'll need to know how to read your mobo's temperature sensors. There's usually an area in the BIOS setup where you can do this. If and when you apply and overclock, you'll need to download some apps such as SpeedFan to monitor your temperatures from within Windows.

Ambient temperature (room temp) has a big impact on how far you can push your system, and unless you have good cooling in your case, you're gonna fry your hardware before too long. That's why it's important to keep an eye on temperatures... you might apply an overclock successfully and see the temp nice and low, but after half an hour, or more, of gaming or other CPU-intensive activity, those temps will rise a lot. The simplest cooling setup is to have one case fan pulling air in from the front and bottom of the case, and another pushing it out and the back/top. This creates a flow of cool air over the mobo, CPU, RAM, etc. Seeing as you want to OC your CPU, you should think about investing in a dedicated CPU cooler, which you should get fairly cheap.

That's plenty to take in for now... try and absorb some of the info from the guide on that forum and if you have more questions, ask away here and I'll try and help. Remember though that you can totally destroy your computer unless you take care and keep cool 8)

I have mine running stable and just got IL-2, TrackIR2 and my X-52 programming software running in Vista 64-bit after about 6 hours of driver tweaking and luck! I was looking forward to flying tonight but it's too late now.
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:20 am

8) TNX M8......I´v got a Antec P180 case with Zalman coolers at all possible places, so cooling is good....
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:42 am

Sorry I missed the flying tonight but I was learning an important lesson for the 50th time: if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!!!!

On Saturday afternoon I tried to reposition my CPU heatsink fan for better cooling but when I turned the computer on it wouldn't even POST, let alone boot up. I freaked, got really upset, and thought the whole thing might have been dead.

However, I took the thing apart to check everything and luckily the problem was just a loose 24-pin connector on the motherboard. I had feared the worst, and had prepared for the worst (bye bye €1200!), but I've just put it all back together and, well, I'm back again... and believe it or not, the temperature actually IS a few degrees cooler! ;)

BTW remember that if you decide to overclock and you f00k up, you won't have a warraty to fall back on...

It took a long time but I now have my TrackIR 2, X-52, and IL-2 set up and configured under Vista 64-bit. No mean feat as it turns out, and if any of ye are considering upgrading to 64-bit OS anytime soon, drop me a PM so I can save you seven-plus hours of headscratching!

I'll hone my skills on the AI for the time being before getting back online with ye all to apply my ample skillz as a repository for aerial projectile weapons :lol:
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Always better...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:30 am

...to be a repository vs. suppository. ;)
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:58 pm

What can I say, I'm a suppository of knowledge! I can't help it if some people think I'm up my own arse... ;)
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
Mutzy
Boardie

Post by Mutzy » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:44 am

At last!

I know it was back in August i said i'd be back...... But after musch deliberation and choosing of parts, and an awful amount (4 weeks!) of Dell messing me around, I'm getting a Dell XPS 720.

Managed to get them to give me a free 24" screen as a result of all their mess ups!

Should be delivered by tuesday next week so see you guys in the skys very soon!

S!
:FI:Mutzy

Aka: Zippy GorillaChunks

Yeah?
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

AWRIIIIIGHT!!!!!!!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:38 am

Uh,

Who's Mutz? ;)
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x