Loudness

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Airhawk14
Professional Boardie

Loudness

Post by Airhawk14 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:52 pm

Heres a quick question:

My friend sais that his 8 year old speakers are as loud as a jet engine at full blast. Is this true or is he just blowing out air?

"When you risk it all, the sky is the limit."Quote from Motion Picture "Flyboys".
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:34 pm

I'm afraid I didn't take my db meter to Duxford, but as a subjective comparison; I've seen Blue Cheer, Deep Purple and Motorhead perform live ( all have at some time held the record for "Loudest Rock Band " and if you were to put all three on stage at once and turned it up to 11 It would be about 1/15th the volume of the F15 and something like 0.0023 %
of the SR2 Blackbird (which I saw heard and FELT take off 5 miles away from Wethersfield Airbase).

ps I don't need friends like that to blow air, I just hook up an analog synth and some deep sub and my speakers blow out air for me. :badgrin:

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:McBiggles
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:McBiggles » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:31 am

I remember having my whole perception of 'loud' being rearranged by Todd Rundgren sometime in the late seventies...early eighties, wait, could've been Humble Pie, can't remember, anyway, eleven...it's like, one more.................could've been the Dead too..........dog that was fun.
Anyway, here in the house we're driving some decent big old Jensens with a Marantz 2270. Had it for years. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Of course this is all from a guy who uses a forty year old trowel. Sort that out.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sence of tragedy, which sustained him, through temporary periods of joy.
W.B. Yeats
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:23 pm

Sneaky wrote:
Deep Purple and Motorhead perform live
Ah, a man who knows what rocks! But I believe Guns n' Roses had beaten back Motorhead for being the loudest.
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!
Nightcat
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by Nightcat » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:44 pm

Your friend ever had a jet aircraft in his home? :D

When I was a smaller kid than now, barly talking english then funnily as I hadn't been on the island very long and there was an airshow at the airport (of all places) - it was about 7 miles away.

Anyway there was Blackbird there, this is back in the 80's and I'll never forget it - the noise and sight pretty much brought the entire city to a halt. We lived on this hill and this thing came in low over us (we were playing football out the front at the time)

Wasn't even intereted in planes at the time but this just demanded attention and I'd never forget the moment - the noise was just like I suspect the end of the world might sound like !
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:08 pm

Anyway there was Blackbird there, this is back in the 80's
Could have been the same day I saw it take off at Wethersfield in Essex, (probably about 2 minutes before you saw it lol)

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:54 pm

The B-1 Lancer is the loudest thing I've ever experienced. They rattle the world when those afterburners a lit.

I can remember back in the 70's, standing a wing's length away from an A-6 Intruder at military power just prior to their being shot off the cats and the racket off those things would make your insides vibrate. They were so loud that even when you pushed on your Dave Clark earmuffs and tried to make them meet in the middle of your head, you still hurt from the racket. BTW, I lost a LOT of my high frequency hearing on that tour, and have tennitus, (ringing in the ears) because of those damn things.

Your friend may have an awesome sound system, but I doubt they even approach the DB levels mentioned above and here. ;)
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

Menace
Postmaster

Post by Menace » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:00 pm

Didn't the B-1 hold the record for fastest aircraft at low altitude? I think it was something crazy like close to Mach 1.5. Or was that the F105...Hmm.

-Edit- Nope, wiki (a dubious source at best) says Mach .95 at sea level, although that is honking fast by any measure.
"Give me a full bottle in front of me, instead of a full frontal lobotomy!"
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:41 pm

Mach 2 for Concorde

Mach 3.2 for the Blackbird *SR71
Nightcat
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by Nightcat » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:57 pm

Oh it was the SR 71 I saw, I realised I wasn't to specific - was that the one you saw take off Sneaky? because from my understanding it took off from America and flew over and set a record then flew back because it wasn't allowed to land (Top secret I guess?)

Wayne
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:10 pm

Same one, would have been 85 or 86

Nightcat
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by Nightcat » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:59 pm

Yep - spot on Sneaky, how bizarre! :lol:
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:24 pm

Wethersfield closed as a US airbase shortly after (probably 'cos they had no windows left :badgrin: )