New HE campaign skins

Painters and skinners. Somewhere to show off skins and look for artistic inspiration.
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon May 14, 2007 9:03 pm

:FI:Snaphoo wrote:... Do I leave off the markings all together, just on the bottom wing or just leave it like it is and we will just have 3 markings on the wings instead of just 2?
That's one of the reasons I made the three stripes under the wings for the IreGreen design. It kinna works with every ac.

What to do, what to do ...

heck, whatever, it's your skin. I'd prolly go with three ... no wait, two!

No, all four would be cool ... wouldn't it?

gah!

Fal "the decider" con

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed May 16, 2007 4:46 pm

WIP

The Havoc w/RAF camo pattern and USAAF camo colors and markings. I'm thinking about a A-20 US squadron green band on tail. Serial no. will be member's forum joining date.

I know I'm doing all US ac so far, but the Stuka, 111 and Italian ac were all done well by other skinners in the IreGreen scheme and can be converted from those templates.

I'll prolly do the P-39 next.

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Wed May 16, 2007 5:41 pm

I've got a P-39 on the way, obviously you can too, but I'll try and post a pic by tonight, finishing it up at work right now.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed May 16, 2007 6:05 pm

O-kay, go with the P-39. I haven't started on mine yet. I mentioned it just so someone can say, "wait, I'm doin' that!"

I'll prolly start a Beau, Mossi or one of the Spits next. I think Snaphoo mentioned he was doing a mk VIII?

F
Last edited by :FI:Falcon on Wed May 16, 2007 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Ju87

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed May 16, 2007 6:15 pm

Is that in Germeman or Eyetalyan markings, or both?

I have my 190D template

He111 still WIP ( about 60% done and 20% happy with it :? )
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Thu May 17, 2007 7:14 am

39 on the way. The green accents are still a bit vibrant, I will step them down some, and maybe play with the green white gold spinner. Still not sure about the red stroke on the star and bar, but it looks sweet. Looks like it switched in August '43, not sure when our missions are.

Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu May 17, 2007 7:43 am

Damn, that's an excellent template too; lots of great detail!

Yeah, difficult to know which insignia to use. I'm going w/the blue and white one 'til I find out when the missions are.

~~~

Snee,

The 4th Stuka is ... Spanish?

I like the bottom Stuka best. Gah! I hate when the toughest paint job is the one you want!

F

:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Thu May 17, 2007 1:45 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote:
:FI:Snaphoo wrote:... Do I leave off the markings all together, just on the bottom wing or just leave it like it is and we will just have 3 markings on the wings instead of just 2?
That's one of the reasons I made the three stripes under the wings for the IreGreen design. It kinna works with every ac.

What to do, what to do ...

heck, whatever, it's your skin. I'd prolly go with three ... no wait, two!

No, all four would be cool ... wouldn't it?

gah!

Fal "the decider" con
Well, I may just do the 3 stripe thing. Or a single stripe thing, similar to Noter's fine 39. Or just leave it off entirely. Not exactly "Historically accurate" but then the skin isn't exactly conducive to historical accuracy. I'll post up some pictures for "the decider" and others to look at later tonight.

Sna"the confuzzled"phoo
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Some Direction

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Thu May 17, 2007 1:50 pm

Hi H.E. Skinners!

I have been keeping an eye on this thread guys. Of course sometimes I wonder if you skinners prefer to paint these planes more than fly them. ;) Reminds me of a neighbour who seems to wash his vehicle much more than he actually drives the thing. :lol:

Anyway, based on the polls (so far) it would appear that the majority would like to play this campaign (Italy) next but we have a split for flying as Allied pilots or both. Personally I would like to create 2 permanent teams from amongst the regular H.E. crowd for the next campaign. I believe it will add further tension/excitement to the missions, and hopefully promote even better teamwork among the smaller groups. But let’s see where the final voting takes us.

In the meantime my best guess is that our current desert campaign will probably take us well into June. We could beat the Allies earlier if we start pounding their supplies/bases. Even so I think you boys have some time to get the skins all done.

Below would be my guess of what planes would need to be customized. To be honest I would love to see ALL of them done, but I have restricted my initial selection to a core group for the Allied side. May I suggest that you guys first concentrate on the Allied side then the Axis just in case Mareth ends sooner than we think. I will later post my initial selection for the Axis side.

---

Spitfire LF Mk. IXc, Supermarine
My apologizes, I haven't looked at these 3 Spit variants. I remember you saying Falcon that the IXc is troublesome to skin. Notwithstanding, I am assuming the IXc has the best characteristics, no? It would be my first choice if that is the case. Leave this one for now until we can confirm which one we will use.

Spitfire Mk.VIII, Supermarine *

Spitfire Mk.Vb clipped wing, Supermarine *

Beaufighter Mk.21, Bristol

Mosquito FB.MK.VI Series 1, de Havilland *

P-51 C "Mustang", North American

P-38 J "Lightning", Lockheed

P-40 M "Warhawk", Curtiss

A-20 G "Havok", Douglas
As suggested by Sneaky we might go with the C variant. Need to examine. Skin will work for either type, right guys?

P-39 D-2 "Airacobra", Bell

---

Ideally I would like to provide more choice in this campaign. As host it will give me the opportunity to focus certain sessions on particular planes/situations, etc. Therefore, if you guys do more than those planes highlighted that would be cool too. ;)

TS!
Last edited by :FI:TacticalS! on Thu May 17, 2007 3:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Thu May 17, 2007 2:42 pm

I'd say add the 51 and 40, those skins are being worked on too, then we only need the Spit and the allies are done.

Much of the Axis is ready from the Mareth campaign, maybe a new color scheme, but use the same markings.

Noter
Last edited by :FI:Noter on Thu May 17, 2007 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Would you settle for this ?

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Thu May 17, 2007 4:34 pm

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Thu May 17, 2007 5:04 pm

I will later post my initial selection for the Axis side.
Will we recycle some of the Axis skins or are they in a completely different region, therefore a different paintscheme is needed?

Specifically speaking about the 109G2's the 190A4s (which can be used on the 5 model with little ill effect) and the 110's.

Just wondrin'

Snaphoo.
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Thu May 17, 2007 5:24 pm

Well I haven't received this next campaign. What I do know is that it uses that beautiful valley map (Online Map 4). It has no desert area. Rolling, green topography. I would rather leave most of the decision-making in your hands. I personally have no problem recycling appropriate skins.

TS!
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu May 17, 2007 5:34 pm

Sneaky,

suits me!

Is that a variety of IreGreen or an Italian color?

Check with Tac, I think he wants the designs to be historic colors with just details Irishy. So, he may want an authentic RLM 80 green, verde mimetico (or whatever) with historic-ey lettering and only squadron markings, squadron insignia and artwork to say ":FI:".

Does that make sense? Tac, tell me if I'm wrong. AC should look historic from a distance?

~~~

Snaphoo,

I will do all my new skins first: ex. P-51, A-20, spits, P-38, etc ...

when all those are done ... if I have time ... I'll go back and repaint the 110 a little. I think the 109 and 190 are valid Med camo schemes that need very little or no adjustments.

Falcon

Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu May 17, 2007 7:20 pm

:FI:TacticalS! wrote: ... A-20 G "Havok", Douglas
As suggested by Sneaky we might go with the C variant. Need to examine. Skin will work for either type, right guys? ...

Hmmmm, let's see ...

Well, if you don't look too closely it's okay, but I whipped up this A-20c template in just a few minutes and it looks much better. So, if you want a 'c' or a 'g' let us know.

This pic is a WIP. I need to adjust a lot of detail levels, move some rivets around and I'm still thinkin' about some sort of greenish tail thingie.

Falcon
Last edited by :FI:Falcon on Thu May 17, 2007 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.