New Campaign - The Goths Ride East

Dates, News and Comments
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:51 pm

Always wondered what that was, must be why the dog ran away again.
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:43 pm

OK, so what was the verdict on Sunday?

Mission 1 seemed to go OK from my view - most pilots survived, fighters engaged the Blue fighters over the target and bombers took care of ground targets, and then new element of Romanian fighters which showed up later was driven off by the IL2 pilots. What was the comms discipline like for the fighters?

Mission 2 I couldn't stick around for but it did not seem to go as well when I viewed the track? Lower numbers made it back and the bombers seemed to get bounced on the way to the target without any intervention from fighters. Also the main ground target - train yards in the town - was only lightly damaged - any views on that?
Olegs stalker

L.F
Forum Junky

Post by L.F » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:46 pm

:FI:Nellip wrote:OK, so what was the verdict on Sunday?

Mission 2... Also the main ground target - train yards in the town - was only lightly damaged - any views on that?

We where nearing the target when Dutchman calls out "enemy fighters!"
So we hit the deck trying to haul out the time so the fighter-guys could come and knock the 109's out, but I think they were busy elswere.

We got scattered as the fight progressed but I know we got atleast a couple of them. Some of us where pretty damaged after the furball settled so we did not manage to re-group before hitting the groundtargets, resulting in us heading one by one into the flak.

The flak was pretty bad over the trainyard so I think most of us just picked of the various tanks and trains around the city.

Top notch missions, altough the flight-distances were abit long for us in Il-2's.
Og det er det stora,
og det er det glupa,
at Merket det stend,
um Mannen han stupa.
:FI:Gadje
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:50 pm

The second mission although less successful than the first was pretty exciting when we got there.

Biggest problem was time. Frank kindly hosted the mission but was unsure if he could even fly it as it was late for him. Although he did we had 2 restarts and then a long flight in and a pretty long flight out. Too much flight time/waiting to fly to action for a whole nights flying IMHO.

I dont want Coops to be furballs but 15min or less action engaged with the enemy for the whole evening was too little for me.

The fighter boys weren't to blame for our lack of cover at the target btw. Due to the time factor the human IL2's took a shortcut while the AI stayed on course. The fighters covered the AI I believe and they got attacked just after we split.

The four human piloted Il2's got attacked by four 109's before we hit the target so it was tough hitting it but as I said exciting trying to survive(which I failed to :( )

Maybe it was just me or my mood that evening but I almost pulled out after the 2nd restart (which was nobodies fault) thinking about the flight time after the similar flight before.

So my feedback is the missions are great, just the right amount of survivability (hard) really exciting but to much flight too target with those 2 missions for us FIS and the time we take to ready up.

my two tanners :)

S!
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:10 pm

Thanks Gadje and LF, thats good and consistent feedback.

From what I can recall of the last 2 Kiev missions the flight time is not so great so next week (or the week after if we have a Lockon session this Sunday?) should be better.

I will have a look again at the Crimea missions which are the next port of call and tweak any where the flight time looks like an issue. I have tried to have some historical accuracy in terms of objectives, dates etc, but where that impacts on playability I will moderate in the future.

Thanks again.

Nel "still enjoying his FMB" lip
Olegs stalker

Baderslegs
Postmaster

Post by Baderslegs » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:46 pm

Didn't manage to fly the 2nd mission but I really enjoyed the first mission.

I only half agree with Gadje and LF about the ingress and outgress (outgress? is that a real word?) distances.

Distance to target not so much of a concern as it gives everyone a chance to form up properly (IMHO), and theres always the anticipation of the unknown to keep you on your toes. Once the action starts though, and people get killed then it is a bit of a wait for them, when the survivors are trying to make it back to home bases some distance away.

I haven't flown the coops on a Sunday, too much recently but I have to say I'm really impressed with the cooperation and dare I say <whispers> "discipline", that the squad is starting to show. Everyone appears to be working much better as a team, although, I think splitting the TS channels to fighters and bombers possibly dissrupts the cooperation between the two. Having everyone on the same channel brings its own problems too so I really don't know what the answer is.

I take this opportunity to apologise to Airhawk, as I was his wingman on the first mission, but after take off I was tail end Charlie and took a while to catch up, when I did I could not single him out to get close enough before the enemy engaged.

I ran out of ammo quite quick (the 109's just seem to soak up the bullets from the Laggs) and headed for home with a persistant 109 on my tail.
As I was bravely running away and screaming for help Falcon and Rules must have heard my manly whimpers 'cause they managed to catch up with me. Falcon softened up the persistant 109 and Rules duly dispatched him, leaving me with a soiled pair of underpants but a safe passage home.

Thanks guys it was great teamwork.

It was a good mission Nellip and I know it's hard to get the balance just right. Keep up the good work.
Originality and strangeness are good,
blind conformity and stupidity are unforgivable.

He who asks is a fool for five minutes but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

:FI:Baderslegs
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:05 pm

After Action Sortie Report

Da boyz dun good.

Falcon

PS: If the channels must remain split, lead fighter and lead boomber should know each other's freqs and be able to switch in game. They should have scheduled reporting points at the AP (accumulation point), at the initial approach to target point (???) and when mission has cleared the target area.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:25 pm

If the Lockon thing is a no go due to Gregs PC problems I can host the Goths this coming Sunday.

Vin
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:02 am

We were covering the bomber boys (second mission) but were too high up and missed the intercept from the 109s. I called the dive and got good hits on a 109 that was behind one of the Il2s, but ran out of ammo before I could knock it down. The rest of the fighters got separated from me as I was diving in to help (I was leading the flight) but soon caught up.
After the furball we continued to the target area, since some of us were still carrying rockets. A few ground targets were taken out by the fighters, and we returned to the alternate base.
I think an open channel on TS with the Il2 flight leader would have made a big difference.
I also think I could have done a better job leading the fighter flight, but perhaps I'll get better with experience.
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Stats update 25 Mar 07

Post by :FI:Genosse » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:46 am

Folks!

I´ve updated the stats but I was too lazy to assign the new ranks. Would someone else do this for me?

BTW, check those stats, please. In case of any correction send me an email or pm!

Ty for your attention, folks! :D ^:)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:01 pm

GROUNDED

Sorry guys but I will not be able to fly for a while.

Some of you may have noticed I have not been active on the forums this week - reason is I had a heart attack on Tuesday night and was in hospital.

They let me out yesterday - I had an angioplasty operation on Friday - but I have to take it easy for a while.

I will try and start posting again in a week or two when I start to feel a bit better.

Cya

Nellip

^:)
Olegs stalker

:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:15 pm

^:| Speedy rcovery m8
:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:23 pm

Take care of yourself Neil.

Vin
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:26 pm

Neil,

Okay, I guess that's a good enough reason,

but we'll need a note from the doc when you get back next Sunday.

Geez man, take care of yourself.

Stuart

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:42 pm

Jeez ... take it easy old chap.

PC Games are meant to be a relaxing pass time....

That said you do get a bit of an adrenalin rush when something passes through your sights

Perhaps you just need to change games....

I think I have an old copy of Pac Man I can let you have?

Looking on the bright side of things,
a it gets you out of the ironing
b what are you going to do with all your time of work?

Writing missions isn't too stressful is it?

G
I fear no beer